British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   job search visa or work permit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/job-search-visa-work-permit-716594/)

wateriest May 11th 2011 11:50 am

job search visa or work permit

Hi everybody, I hope you guys are doing fine. I am an international student and has just completed NZ diploma in business (level 5). I m working as Shift supervisor with a petrol station since last six months. Now The petrol station is willing to offer me full time Position(shift supervisor). I am confused, whether to apply for job search work permit or 2 years work visa? Am i eligible to apply for work visa under current circumstances.

I have another question regarding permanent residency in NZ. If i have 2 years of working experience in NZ (lets say shift supervisor in my case), am i eligible to apply for PR under work to residence category?Thanks in advance

FriendForEver May 12th 2011 4:12 am

Re: job search visa or work permit

whether to apply for job search work permit
If you are asking about Silver Fern Job Search Visa Then See this for details:

robbyarg May 13th 2011 12:59 pm

I've known some individuals who have made it to NZ with a security officer job offer (work permit which has to be renewed). It's worth looking into coz you could at BEST get a work permit. My advice, FINISH off your education at perhaps a degree level (which you can do that whilst staying in NZ), then you apply onshore with either a job offer or with an NZ qualification in an area they NEED. Sounds like a bright option if you take this path.

Also with your current qualification, IF YOU have the points (need to check that with your NZ qualification), there should be some chance to apply for a PR. I would suggest you get a JOB OFFER (should not be a big problem with NZ qualification) and directly apply for a PR which should take only a matter of days AT BEST.

Otherwise, get the work permit to just stay there, find that job offer in a few months and go for the PR.

Anything to help. And all the best.

Originally Posted by wateriest (Post 9357288)
Hi everybody, I hope you guys are doing fine. I am an international student and has just completed NZ diploma in business (level 5). I m working as Shift supervisor with a petrol station since last six months. Now The petrol station is willing to offer me full time Position(shift supervisor). I am confused, whether to apply for job search work permit or 2 years work visa? Am i eligible to apply for work visa under current circumstances.

I have another question regarding permanent residency in NZ. If i have 2 years of working experience in NZ (lets say shift supervisor in my case), am i eligible to apply for PR under work to residence category?Thanks in advance

Persephone May 13th 2011 11:51 pm

So what visa are you on now?
If you apply for a work visa then the petrol station will need to confirm that no NZer is available to do the job unless they are accredited. If they are accredited then you could apply for a WTR visa and then apply for PR wfter working there for two years.
You could also try the points indicator to see whether you could apply as a skilled migrant with your qualification.
I suggest you look at the types of visa that exist and see which ones you can apply for.
:)

Originally Posted by robbyarg (Post 9362024)
Also with your current qualification, IF YOU have the points (need to check that with your NZ qualification), there should be some chance to apply for a PR. I would suggest you get a JOB OFFER (should not be a big problem with NZ qualification) and directly apply for a PR which should take only a matter of days AT BEST.

A SMC PR application taking only a matter of days at best?? Did you mean to write weeks or months?

wateriest May 15th 2011 3:32 am

Guys, Thanks a lot for information. Currently i am on student visa which will expire next month and i am in a bit of dilemma , whether to apply for job search visa or 2 years work permit.
To be precise, i dont work for a gas station directly, I work for a Kiwi food company(extensive and reputable) that has set up a store with a gas station in Auckland. At the moment, I am working as shift supervisor(part time) .Since i have finished my studies , the company has offered me to work on full time basis(shift supervisor).

The other question was if i work 2 years as shift supervisor with this company,will i be eligible to apply for PR at the end of work permit period(on the basis of work to residence).

Persephone May 17th 2011 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by wateriest (Post 9364836)
Guys, Thanks a lot for information. Currently i am on student visa which will expire next month and i am in a bit of dilemma , whether to apply for job search visa or 2 years work permit.
To be precise, i dont work for a gas station directly, I work for a Kiwi food company(extensive and reputable) that has set up a store with a gas station in Auckland. At the moment, I am working as shift supervisor(part time) .Since i have finished my studies , the company has offered me to work on full time basis(shift supervisor).

The other question was if i work 2 years as shift supervisor with this company,will i be eligible to apply for PR at the end of work permit period(on the basis of work to residence).

Is the company accredited in that they are free to hire overseas workers without having to prove no NZer can do the job?
If you apply for a Work to Residence visa and this is granted then you can apply for PR once you've worked for two years. Just having a normal work visa does not lead onto PR in this way unless the time working in NZ gives you the extra points needed so you can apply via the SMC. So the answer to your question is that you need to apply for a WTR visa in order to apply for PR after 2years.
There are various categories of WTR visa. Have a look at these links: WTR visa and
Talent [accredited employers]
I don't know whether shift supervisor would fulfill those conditions.

If you apply for a temporary work visa then your employer would have to prove no NZer is able to do the job. Have you spoken to your employer about what they know about visas? They may or may not be aware of the limitations.