job refferences advice needed.

Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

RowanandRick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default job refferences advice needed.

My Husbands qualification certificates are in the name of Rick but his birth certificate is in the name of Ricky, does anyone know if this will be a problem? do we need to get new certificates?.

Also when you do the ITA do they want written references from each employer or do they contact the employer themselves? will being sacked from a job be a problem? no wrong was done they just didn't like him!

thanks in advance. x
Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:16 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: job refferences advice needed.

not sure about name on certificate but I suppose if you can show he uses both Rick and Ricky their shouldn't be a problem.
As for job references you get written ones on company headed paper with state/end dates, detail of work and comments from employer, much like you would for a job
Old Apr 27th 2012, 7:09 am
Just Joined

RowanandRick is an unknown quantity at this point

cool, thanks very much.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough

How details required for employment reference letter? If only third lines, but I have employment contract, tax return, and my explain letter, does it OK?
Old Apr 28th 2012, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire but aiming for distant shores....
Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RowanandRick

Also when you do the ITA do they want written references from each employer or do they contact the employer themselves? will being sacked from a job be a problem? no wrong was done they just didn't like him!

thanks in advance. x
As far as Im aware, most employers will not write anything discriminatory/negative in a reference for fear of legal action. If employee A was the worst employee in the world, but he was always punctual then an employer could write "Employee A was always punctual...".

However, they are entitled to refuse to give one, and they are also entitled to accurate and truthful.

Its also worth pointing out that a company would never fire someone because "they didnt like them." A person might not be up to the job, might be negligible or even discriminated against and set up to fail, but it wouldn't be lawful to fire someone because they were disliked.

Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:18 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

All the employer needs to confirm is the dates you worked for them, the number of hours per week [>30 to be classed as fulltime] and your job description. I had two jobs that went towards my work experience, one boss wrote the above and nothing more and the other added some extra bits that gave me a warm feeling inside
NZIS did not contact either my current or previous boss to find out more information.

I got on very well with both employers and nothing was meant or implied by a bare bones reference

Last edited by Persephone; Apr 28th 2012 at 11:04 am. Reason: wrong word!!!