Job offers without a Working Visa

Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:40 am
Just Joined

shadiamarie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Job offers without a Working Visa

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and i have had a good read and got some great advise however im still a little stuck. Me and my OH are looking to move to NZ permanently and we're trying to get a working visa to do this, however we do not have enough points without getting a job offer first. So we are now considering going out to NZ for 2 weeks to try and secure a job offer first however im a little confused as wont my potential employer want to know if we have got the visa first, at the moment i dont even have enough points to put in an EOI as just falling under the threshold. Also how easy is it to get a job once you get to NZ. I work in the IT industry and my OH is in the Multimedia industry but with no work experience in that field as yet. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Job offers without a Working Visa

IT is a job offer first and then NZIS - New Zealand Immigration - will issue a work visa once they have checked out the job offer & you.

It's true that many NZ employers don't quite understand that it is a job offer first and then a work permit. You will need to educate them on this.

You could, in theory, come over on a visitors visa & then hope to obtain a job offer once here. If you gained a job offer , you would then apply for a temporary work permit. Once here and working , you would be able to submit an EOI if you felt you , your job , your qualifications and work exp matched the NZIS criteria for the skilled migrant category.

With regard to jobs in IT, I would suggest you perhaps pop a new thread into the main forum and see if any of the IT people come up with anything.

You might also want to contact The Wellies which is an IT group of expats
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:03 am
Just Joined

shadiamarie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Job offers without a Working Visa

Thanks for your reply, i will take a look at the IT info you reccommended. However i went to a NZ Expo in Leeds at the weekend which was really useful ahd was given some sound advise from them too. The outcome however is to def try and visit there to attend interviews as the majority of employers want to do face to face and from speaking with a few they were not too concerned if you didnt have a degree for your career as long as you could show relevant years of experience. I am now thinking about whether or not to take up an opportunity through my work to do a HND in Info Technology and hope that this gives me the relevant points i will need to get in without a job offer first. Does anyone happen to know if a HND is recognised in NZ as the only reason i will be signing up for the course is to help my chances in applying for residency in NZ.
Many thanks