Job offer under SMC. Help please.

Old Apr 30th 2014, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

james.mcd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer under SMC. Help please.

Hi folks, so glad to have found this forum, lots of great info on here!

I have a couple of questions that i can't seem to find an answer to.

I have been over to NZ for a year on my IEP visa, i am about to hit 35 now so my girlfriend (of 13 years) and i feel we are ready to move to NZ from the UK. I am a chef to trade with many years experience, i also have a trade in the building industry as a plasterer, I learnt this trade through my fathers business and have been jumping between the 2 trades for years.

I am very confident to get a job offer from my previous employer in NZ as a chef, when i apply this job offer to the point system i get over 140. I have read that some people who have submit EOI can take up to and over a year.

My first question is that, if i get a job offer and they require that i start in say 2 months... i then submit my EOI at the same time as my job offer and my EOI takes 6 months. What would happen to my EOI application as my job offer is no longer available?

My girlfriend is still eligible for the IEP visa from Bunac. I was thinking if i go over to NZ on a visitor visa with her, can i submit a EOI whilst in NZ? Hopefully she would secure a job and get sponsorship etc etc. and help with my points?

Just want to find out what options i have to make the move.

Thank you
Old Apr 30th 2014, 7:19 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer under SMC. Help please.

Hello and welcome to BE

Originally Posted by james.mcd View Post
Hi folks, so glad to have found this forum, lots of great info on here!

I have a couple of questions that i can't seem to find an answer to.

I have been over to NZ for a year on my IEP visa, i am about to hit 35 now so my girlfriend (of 13 years) and i feel we are ready to move to NZ from the UK. I am a chef to trade with many years experience, i also have a trade in the building industry as a plasterer, I learnt this trade through my fathers business and have been jumping between the 2 trades for years.

I've had a quick look and chef is on the Long Term Skills shortage list. Do you have any qualifications and do they match those on the LTSSL?
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/templ...=Guest&level=3

I am very confident to get a job offer from my previous employer in NZ as a chef, when i apply this job offer to the point system i get over 140. I have read that some people who have submit EOI can take up to and over a year.

Sounds good! First off, you don't need to get over 140 if you are applying with a job offer- 100 or more will be enough. All EOIs with points for a job offer and over 100 pts are being selected at every draw at the moment.
Secondly it shouldn't take that long, this link is to the London processing times: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...ocessingtimes/
That suggests once selected you have up to 3m 10d to be issued a visa assuming everything is straighforward.

My first question is that, if i get a job offer and they require that i start in say 2 months... i then submit my EOI at the same time as my job offer and my EOI takes 6 months. What would happen to my EOI application as my job offer is no longer available?

If there was no longer a job offer, your application would be rejected as you wouldn't have enough points. However, see my answer above. Also if you do qualify under the LTSSL then you have the options of a WTR or work visa [which are much faster] to cover you until your residency comes through

My girlfriend is still eligible for the IEP visa from Bunac. I was thinking if i go over to NZ on a visitor visa with her, can i submit a EOI whilst in NZ? Hopefully she would secure a job and get sponsorship etc etc. and help with my points?

You can but if you have lived together for at least 12months and can prove it then it would be easier for her to get a visa off the back of yours. You include her in the EOI as your partner and she would get residency when you do. Or if you need to go for a temp visa to get you started then she can get an 'open' work visa on the back of yours

Just want to find out what options i have to make the move.
A few
Thank you
Hope this helps
P
Old Apr 30th 2014, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

james.mcd is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your answers!

Unfortunately i do not have relevant qualifications as a chef, i have learnt "on the job" i do have around 8 years of experience with plenty references etc. I did read that.... "At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification."

I have been looking into a temp work visa. I was thinking this may be a better option for me to go down.

Am i correct in saying that if i apply for a temp work visa and when i'm in NZ i can then apply for a residency visa?

Do you happen to know how long i would have to stay within a job on a temp work visa?

For instance, if i get a job offer from my previous employer and apply for a temp work visa. Work with them for a few months but, my girlfriend gets a job offer somewhere else in the country would i be able to leave and look for another job along the same lines?

Many thanks again for you reply.
Old May 1st 2014, 5:41 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

It does bring up an interesting question. If ANZSCO says experience can substitute for a formal qualification then do you still need that qualification to qualify in an area of skills shortage. I think that you do and everything I've read seems to imply this but it is a bit of an anomaly

The reason that being on one of the SSLs is important is that an employer can offer you a job and you can apply for a work visa without INZ performing a labour market test. Basically if an applicant does not fall into a SSL then the employer must prove that no NZer is available to do the job or can be trained up.

You can certainly apply for a work or WTR visa and residency at the same time. No problem with that. Many do this to get them started on time.
You do need a job offer in order to apply for a work or WTR visa.

I don't think there is a time limit on how long you must stay in the job [if you get residency with points for a job offer then you must stay in that job for at least 3months].

Yes, you can move jobs BUT the job you move to must fulfil the requirements for a work visa. Your work visa would allow you to work for that job only, it is not transferable so you would have to reapply. Obviously if your residency has come through and you've worked for 3mth then you can do whatever you want.

What does your girlfriend do? Could she be the principal candidate?

P