Job Offer

Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:42 am
Just Joined

alexn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Offer

Once you get a job offer in NZ for a skilled job, how do you present it to NZ Immigration for eg. if you are outside of NZ, or do you go to book an appointment with the immigration if you are in NZ to show the job offer in person?

What are the things that NZ Immigration will check for to confirm the job offer as a genuine one, its conditions, requirements etc? Is there further time spent for an interview with the applicant? What if the applicant needs to start the job urgently?

Migration policies and things are far too complex. Are the officers completely fastidious about the job offer, or is it so long as its skilled and you have the qualifications/work experience for it etc?

Last edited by alexn; Aug 1st 2012 at 9:03 am.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:53 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer

under the SMC the job offer had to come from an accredited company to begin with.(as far as I am aware)
If you need to start straight away as in my husbands situation he had to get a temp works visa (took 2 hours at Wellington Imm Office) to enable him to work then he just updated his EOI online to include job offer.
Immigration where very strict with the job offer and it had to be rewritten a couple of times to met their requirements which the Company was happy to do as husband was still negotiating the small print of it. All documentation once sorted had to be originals AND copies of all documents.
We only visited the Immigration office dealing with the ITA once and that was to submit it, everything else was dealt with via phone and email

Last edited by MrsFychan; Aug 1st 2012 at 9:07 am.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for your reply. Very useful information there. However, there can be different stages at which someone seeks a job offer. For instance, you could do this after being granted an SMC Job Search visa. Does the employer have to be accredited then as well? I am not sure about that.

The thing is that Immigration does not know that jobs are advertized not in accordance with exact ANZSCO descriptions even it is skilled employment at a 95k offer. But I don't think they are too pedantic. But it depends from job to job.

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
under the SMC the job offer had to come from an accredited company to begin with.(as far as I am aware)
If you need to start straight away as in my husbands situation he had to get a temp works visa (took 2 hours at Wellington Imm Office) to enable him to work then he just updated his EOI online to include job offer.
Immigration where very strict with the job offer and it had to be rewritten a couple of times to met their requirements which the Company was happy to do as husband was still negotiating the small print of it. All documentation once sorted had to be originals AND copies of all documents.
We only visited the Immigration office dealing with the ITA once and that was to submit it, everything else was dealt with via phone and email
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:46 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

our situation went from submitting EOI with under 140 points, husband obtaining a job offer whilst on a visit, got work visa to enable him to start, updated EOI, got selected and then the process begun.
As I said I believe any employer has to be accredited or any tom dick or harry could offer a job but that is something someone who has got job search visa could let you know or maybe call the Immigration office.
The job advertisement doesn't really matter its the job offer that has to adhere to Immigrations requirements or they will reject it and you won't be able to gain a visa
Old Aug 1st 2012, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

thepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nice

When I got the job offer I supplied the details on my EOI - name of employer, place of employment etc - I didn't have a signed contract at that point but did have the details for them to check up on. My signed contract with salary, terms of employment and job description are going in with my visa application. I do have an ANZSCO code relating to my job; I also have the qualifications (with ANZSCO code) required. Surely, alexn, if your job fits with one on the skilled list you can find the code; although just because its a well paid job doesn't neccessarily mean its a job in the skills shortage list.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

This is an excellent answer. The only thing is that I am interested in knowing is from someone who actually presented their job offer after the EOI, i.e after getting the SMC Job Search Visa. But the other info is all valuable.

The thing is that the immi people who assess these things are probably not people who have worked in any of those fields. So they may not know. Job offers and descriptions are not written to suit an ANZSCO code, but will be related. Immigration people do understand this.

Rules are similar but differ for different kinds of visas. Those starting with an EOI are complete outsiders who have a lot more to prove prior to having any visa, than those already with some form of work visa. Migration is very complex indeed.

But thanks to all for your answers. Makes for very positive discussions.

Originally Posted by thepinkone
When I got the job offer I supplied the details on my EOI - name of employer, place of employment etc - I didn't have a signed contract at that point but did have the details for them to check up on. My signed contract with salary, terms of employment and job description are going in with my visa application. I do have an ANZSCO code relating to my job; I also have the qualifications (with ANZSCO code) required. Surely, alexn, if your job fits with one on the skilled list you can find the code; although just because its a well paid job doesn't neccessarily mean its a job in the skills shortage list.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 1:04 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by alexn
Migration is very complex indeed. .
It isn't. You simply follow the rules and fill out the forms honestly and correctly.
That is all.