Job Interview - what now?

Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Max007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Interview - what now?

This is my first post - I hope some of you good people will help. My husband has a job interview for an HGV drivers post in NZ - I have read the thread re the HGV driver - it hasn't put us off! However what happens next (interview is in UK). If he gets the job what should be our next step. We have 2 kids as well. My daughter is doing standard grades this year and will be doing highers going on to Uni hopefully. What is the education system like will she be able to do something equivalent to Highers if we all move? If the job is short term or temporary do we still have to go through all the immigration procedures? So many questions sorry! Thanks in advance
Old Apr 12th 2007, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of
Default Re: Job Interview - what now?

really at this point there are a lot of ifs and buts.

Is the job part time or full time.
Do you actually want to live in NZ permanently or for a while.
Will your hubby get the job.
Do your children want to go or stay.
Do you yourself want to go or stay.

We are in a similar situation regarding the job apart from my hubby had his done through Skype and a webcam. We have 2 children also but slightly younger. I will say is at this point just get the interview over with and see how that goes first. There would be different options open to you if your OH got the job. We are waiting for an answer hopefully on monday and we will be taking the work permit route and then apply for residence when we are there. We are using a migration agency and got the fees half price because my OH sourced the job part himself.
Long and short. Wait till you get a response from the job. Your potential employers may give you some advice and help along the way.
Hope this helps a little.

Karen
Old Apr 12th 2007, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Max007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea that is more or less what I thought - wait for the interview. Children want to go, we want to go but considering children's best interest! OH thinke he has good chance of getting the job. Thanks for your help we will be back for more no doubt if he is successful (actually I think only then will we know for sure!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

I will just say, its worth just keeping in touch with these forums in the meantime as it gives you an insight of everyones experiences.

Good luck with the interview.

Karen
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

What happens next is that you get excited and scared if you are offered the job and it is a full-time permanent job.

Can I just ask you to be a bit canny with regard to the $ per hour you are offered. You have a family to consider. $17.50 per hour for instance would be pushing it a bit. $20 is reasonable if outside of the cities. $25 is really quite good.

Once you have the job offer, have your new NZ employer fax/email over to you a full contract of employment or at least a letter which states the terms and conditions.

If the position is temporary , then odds are you will only be able to gain a work permit/visa for the same length of time as the contract states. So if its six month - NZIS may turn it down or will just offer six months visa.

What you really want to see is a good full-time , permanent position offered with a living wage to boot.

Who is the employer ? Are they on the accredited employers list ? Bung it over and we can look.

Anyway, once you have the job offer, you next need to decide whether you wish to come on a 2 year work visa or go straight for permanent residency.

Both envolve a bit of paperwork, but nothing that can't be handled, especially with help from forum sites like these.

If your employer wants you, then they will wait for you and understand that you just can't up sticks and bung over the other side of the world. Give yourself reasonable time to organise and take deep breaths or drink copious amounts of booze -whichever helps most .

where might you be based in NZ do you think?

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 18th 2007 at 12:43 am. Reason: bung in a bit about full time permanent job offer
Old Apr 18th 2007, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

BEVS to you. I have read a quite few of your posts today and you really know how to make everything sound so logical and in words we all understand. Not really helpful to the OP I know but just thought I would mention it.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:41 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

LOL

It's only what happened to me when I started out in 2003.

My first ever moment and question on a migrant forum was
'job offer first or visa?' and someone came straight back to me.

Get a little - give a little.