British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Job changes once in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/job-changes-once-nz-617298/)

davidandgilly Jun 28th 2009 8:43 pm

Job changes once in NZ

We are looking to move to NZ in Nov on a visitors visa and will apply for residency once there. I have been offered a job to allow me to apply for residency but they are unable to guarantee work long term so may have to change jobs after 3 months.
Does anyone know how immigration will view this or will they even care have been told they have too much on their plates to check up.

BEVS Jun 28th 2009 10:35 pm

Re: Job changes once in NZ

Does anyone know how immigration will view this or will they even care have been told they have too much on their plates to check up
Who told you that little gem? :blink:

NZIS will certainly check your application, eligibility and job offer. They need to know you can support yourself and so not be a burden to NZ.

Which category are you applying under?

i.e. Are you being sponsored by your In-laws? (click the NZIS link)

Originally Posted by NZIS
F6.10.25 Evidence of offer of employment
  1. Evidence of an offer of employment is original or certified copies of the following documents:
    1. a written offer of employment, and
    2. a detailed job description, and
    3. a letter from the employer stating whether or not any occupational registration is required by law for the principal applicant to take up the position, and
    4. an employment agreement entered into by the employer and the principal applicant, stating:
      • the terms of employment, and
      • the hours of work, and
      • the period during which employment may begin. Note: the employment agreement need not be supplied until after approval in principle (see F6.20(b)).
  2. Additional evidence may include, but is not limited to:
    • any information requested by the NZIS
    • the results of any verification undertaken by the NZIS
    • information from the employer or recruitment agency.

If it is via the skilled migrant category, then NZIS match the skilled occupation to the applicants work exp and quals for that job. It needs to be full-time and permanent. It also needs to be in line with your skill and qualifications plus it should pay around the 'going rate $ plus they will check that it is a 'genuine' vacancy. Depending on whether or not the occupation is on a shortage list, NZIS would also conduct a labour market test to make sure that there is no Nz resident or citizen for that vacancy .

P2L Jun 29th 2009 1:55 am

Originally Posted by davidandgilly (Post 7707575)
We are looking to move to NZ in Nov on a visitors visa and will apply for residency once there. I have been offered a job to allow me to apply for residency but they are unable to guarantee work long term so may have to change jobs after 3 months.
Does anyone know how immigration will view this or will they even care have been told they have too much on their plates to check up.

NZIS are VERY much on the ball as far as applications go. I know of someone who has just got PR in NZ and Immigration visited their employer to check the employment details of their application and then did a follow up by phone too, so please do not under estimate their system.

nelsonpom Jun 29th 2009 11:15 am

Originally Posted by davidandgilly (Post 7707575)

As others have said it will depend on your visa. The 3 month bit will only apply if you have got in via skilled migrant with a job offer. If thats the case then once you have done 3 months in said job you are free to change but will not be entitled to NZ benefits for 2 years.

davidandgilly Jul 1st 2009 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 7707732)
Who told you that little gem? :blink:

NZIS will certainly check your application, eligibility and job offer. They need to know you can support yourself and so not be a burden to NZ.

Which category are you applying under?

i.e. Are you being sponsored by your In-laws? (click the NZIS link)

If it is via the skilled migrant category, then NZIS match the skilled occupation to the applicants work exp and quals for that job. It needs to be full-time and permanent. It also needs to be in line with your skill and qualifications plus it should pay around the 'going rate $ plus they will check that it is a 'genuine' vacancy. Depending on whether or not the occupation is on a shortage list, NZIS would also conduct a labour market test to make sure that there is no Nz resident or citizen for that vacancy .

We are applying through the skilled migrant cat. The job offer is for a genuine vacancy they cant fill and I have the qualifications and skill for the job which is also on the long term skills shortage list. They just cant guarantee it will be for more than 3 months it probably will be but until they have further orders they can only offer 3 months. I need to know if changing jobs is a problem with immigration should it be neccesary after the 3 months. Not worried about claiming benefit for 2 years we are going there to work not sponge if we wanted to do that would stay in the UK much easier and more profitable

NIKKI SNELL Jul 3rd 2009 10:52 pm

hi there

my mate came over on skilled migrant cat and had to only stay with employer for 3 months... to chnage jobs he had to provide his 3 months bank slips

hope this helps

hazeandsteve Jul 4th 2009 6:30 am

I was main applicant for us in the skilled migrant category, and DIDN'T HAVE A JOB!!
On the phone interview I just stated I was coming as a skilled man and would find work once we got here. Air NZ were laying off at the time, but I explained that as an engineer I am flexible. We had enough points, and NZIS just agreed.
We've been here two years now, still not fixing planes, but hey....we live in Taupo. What more could a man want?