British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   it's all in the timing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/its-all-timing-499616/)

hosebergine Dec 13th 2007 4:24 pm

it's all in the timing

There's a little issue that is stopping me from sleeping - anyone able to offer calming words?

Having decided on a rough timescale for moving over to NZ by the end of 2008, with a recce in NZ booked for March / April and a probable trip out for interviews in July, we've just discovered baby number two is on its way. Doh!

We were hoping that lovely hubbie would get a job, then we'd apply through SMC. However, as we've got 145 points without needing a job offer we are now thinking it might be easier to go for residency before finding a job in the hope that he'll be more attractive to employers and we'll be able to move quickly when the time is right.

Are there any time limits on visa's? If we were successful and got our papers in August, for example, do we need to be out there within a particular timeframe? Our new arrival is due at the end of July and I'd quite like to get the first 8-12 weeks done in the UK but would also like to get out to NZ before they start crawling - I'm only thinking of other passengers on the plane!

If he got a job whilst our application was being processed, would we be able to call up and ask that the application be speeded up if the employer wanted him over there quickly?

Oh I'm so confused :confused: (and grumpy as I won't be able to do much on our recce because I'll be all plump.) Still, at least lovely hubbie will enjoy his diving and swimming with dolphins - hurrumph!

littleal Dec 13th 2007 4:51 pm

Re: it's all in the timing

Hello - congratulations on the pregnancy and being the enviable position of having enough points without the job offer. It will definitely make you far more attractive to employers if you have PR. You have a year from getting your visas to arrive in NZ.

Good luck
Alison

hosebergine Dec 13th 2007 4:59 pm

Thanks Alison, that's fantastic news :)
I shall prepare for a good nights sleep without all the worry!!

Tan0410 Dec 14th 2007 5:35 am

Just typed masses and lost it :curse:

A summary:

Congrats on baby....don't let those hormones mess with your mind...in my opinion NZ will be a great place for your kids future...just a little note for when doubts start creeping in!

Similar situation, applied for PR when pregnant with no job offers

Straight out of pool based on points

Baby born Nov and job offers in same month

Faxed job offer to London (no. on immigration pages but let me know if you can't find) and application prioritised

Lucky as employers waiting 5/6 months for us cos' of baby and house sale

On target to get out at end Apr when baby 5 months old

May be better to apply for PR without jobs as employers not often happy to wait so long. If you're like us and like a little security, we decided we had to have PR or nothing before we went. If an employer wasn't preparred to wait then you may have to apply for a work visa and finish the PR application in NZ. With two young kids we didn't want to take any unnecessary risks. To my understanding...without a job offer the process takes approx 9 months anyway so you'd have practically a year to get out to NZ once the baby was born. Could start job hunting a little further down the line and would then have advantage of being able to say that PR application is being processed.

SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M TALKING RUBBISH

On a different note, I climbed 'Cat Bells' in the Lake District when 6 months pregnant...I admit this was the result of an over ambitious recommended walk from a relative but my point is that there's hope for activities during your recce. I strongly recommend taking up swimming now as it really helps keep you active during pregnancy.

EOI submitted with no job offer: 08th Oct
Selected from pool: 10th Oct

Job offer faxed to London: 22nd Nov
ITA sent out: 26th November

Can still take 1 - 3 months to process application once ITA returned.

TAN

hosebergine Dec 14th 2007 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Tan0410 (Post 5666960)
Just typed masses and lost it :curse:

A summary:

Congrats on baby....don't let those hormones mess with your mind...in my opinion NZ will be a great place for your kids future...just a little note for when doubts start creeping in!

Similar situation, applied for PR when pregnant with no job offers

Straight out of pool based on points

Baby born Nov and job offers in same month

Faxed job offer to London (no. on immigration pages but let me know if you can't find) and application prioritised

Lucky as employers waiting 5/6 months for us cos' of baby and house sale

On target to get out at end Apr when baby 5 months old

May be better to apply for PR without jobs as employers not often happy to wait so long. If you're like us and like a little security, we decided we had to have PR or nothing before we went. If an employer wasn't preparred to wait then you may have to apply for a work visa and finish the PR application in NZ. With two young kids we didn't want to take any unnecessary risks. To my understanding...without a job offer the process takes approx 9 months anyway so you'd have practically a year to get out to NZ once the baby was born. Could start job hunting a little further down the line and would then have advantage of being able to say that PR application is being processed.

SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M TALKING RUBBISH

On a different note, I climbed 'Cat Bells' in the Lake District when 6 months pregnant...I admit this was the result of an over ambitious recommended walk from a relative but my point is that there's hope for activities during your recce. I strongly recommend taking up swimming now as it really helps keep you active during pregnancy.

EOI submitted with no job offer: 08th Oct
Selected from pool: 10th Oct

Job offer faxed to London: 22nd Nov
ITA sent out: 26th November

Can still take 1 - 3 months to process application once ITA returned.

TAN

Thanks for the encouraging words Tan - great to hear we're not the only couple with new arrival issues!!! I think I just want to get things started before I spend hours gazing at little hands and feet again ;-)

As for exercise, I'm just trying to keep awake at the moment - I'm not very good at being pregnant. Hopefully though I'll get the iron levels right this time and enjoy the middle trimester when we'll be out in NZ. I will try and swim with dolphins, it just depends on whether the company will let me based on their insurance.... I might not get the chance if I have to be in a wetsuit!

BTW, I climbed Cat Bells when I was 9!!!