Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

ITA Rec'd! Underactive Thyroid and medical assesment, please advise!

ITA Rec'd! Underactive Thyroid and medical assesment, please advise!

Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Loubylou265 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ITA Rec'd! Underactive Thyroid and medical assesment, please advise!

Hi all,
Great news - we have received our ITA!

I had declared on the EOI that I have a mildly underactive thyroid which is controlled by a low dose of thyroxine.

The EOI was still selected etc, but I note the ITA letter states:

''You have declared that you have a mildly underactive thyroid. When you submit an application for residence it is likely that your medical form will be referred to an INZ medical assessor for further assessment which may result in a medical waiver. If this occurs there is no guarantee of a favourably outcome''

What does this actually mean? I thought this was quite a mild condition - will it really affect our chances or am I reading this wrong?

Also, as I am pregnant it states that I don't need an xray - is it worth doing the medicals now or waiting 4 weeks until after our baby is born? Will they want an xray for me anyway at a later date. Don't want to hold anything up.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Old Apr 1st 2014, 7:06 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ITA Rec'd! Underactive Thyroid and medical assesment, please advise!

surprised they say you don't need an xray, have you been given your CO details? I would email them and clarify it before paying out for medicals.

As for the thyroid problem think it will just be down to how much they think the meds will cost to keep it under control and if it could possibly cause further problems in the future. It might be wise to get your consultant to write a letter to put in your ITA pack to give his professional opinion of the condition and the future treatment you can expect to undergo if any at all.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: ITA Rec'd! Underactive Thyroid and medical assesment, please advise!

OK thanks Mrs F

I'll double check re the xray.

Fingers crossed I seem to say that on every post!!
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 7:26 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure that others on here have got residency with hypothyroidism, maybe do a search? Try not to worry too much, thyroxine is very cheap-as I know from my own job so unlikely to reach the maximum possible costs you might cost the government

Pregnant women are exempt from the xray. However it is hard to tell whether an applicant for a resident visa needs to do one once the baby is born. Temporary applicants have to, but I cannot see any mention of applicants for residency having to
I would check directly.

Good luck
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Persephone! I contacted the London branch directly and they said that my case handler might still request an xray after the baby is born, so probably best to wait till the baby is born.

Hopefully this time next month he or she will be here, passport on the way and medicals booked! Can't wait!
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:51 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

just out of pure curiosity, how does the baby's visa get sorted? You say he/she so seems like you are awaiting a surprise.
does baby come over on visitors passport and then you apply from here or do children under a certain age not need a visa??

silly me just reread and its seems you are waiting for the birth before submitting ITA.

ignore me back to work
Old Apr 4th 2014, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

claris is an unknown quantity at this point

My case officer contacted me to say my medical is to be further assessed due to my underactive thyroid and that this could take up to 6 weeks but she is hoping it will be sooner.

I don't think it will be a big issue to be honest.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Claris,
I'd be interested to hear how long it actually takes and what they say.

Good luck with everything