ITA Phone Interview

Old Apr 19th 2010, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough
Question ITA Phone Interview

Hi all,

So, as some of you know, I submitted my ITA at the end of March without a job offer. I was told it would take months (Up to 7, confirmed by the INZ UK Website) to get anywhere so I brought supplies and settled in for a long slog.

mmmm Beer

Anywho, I got an e-mail today. They want to give me a phone interview this week (I naturally said yes and will sober up before it! )

My question(s) be this: What sort of things are they likely to ask me in the phone interview and is there anything that I should do to prepare for it?

Thanks, Gizzy.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

DavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to all
Default Re: ITA Phone Interview

Thats great news Think the following robbed from other threads should answer your question.

Why NZ?,
What would you do as soon as you arrive in NZ?
What is your plan?
Do you have any relatives/friends?
What kind of media did you use for research about NZ?
What will you do if you don't get a job as quickly as you would have hoped?
What have you done to look for employment so far?
What support will you have in NZ?
What would you do if you came across any obstacles? (List possible obstacles)
What do you think about the impact of migrants on the socio-economic balance of New Zealand and the wider South West Pacific basin?
How much money did we think we needed to make a good living in NZ
How long did we think it would take to find work?
How do you plan to make friends ?
How do you intend to find work ?
What will your Partner do for a living?
What if you do not find work in the area that you have chosen to live?
How will you support yourselves ?
Where will you live?
When do you want to go?
What have you heard about NZ ?
Has anyone given you any advice about moving to NZ ?
Have you looked at schools ?
What are your hobbies?
Do you have any questions ?
Have you visited NZ?
What is your financial situation?
Have you looked at properties?
What wages to you expect?
What do plan, if you do not find the right job in your industry?
How much do you expect to pay for your flat/house?
How will you build up your social networks and get new friends?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:17 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on getting the interview

Main thing is to try and stay relaxed and not get flustered. Do some preparation on the questions you're likely to get asked and you'll be fine. I didn't think I'd done that well, I came off the phone and then thought of all the answers I should have given [just like finishing an exam!] but it was ok and I was granted PR.
Davenhelen have given you lots of possibles but if you do a search for 'interview questions' you'll get some more ideas.

Best of luck
Old Apr 21st 2010, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the replies. I have done a search now. I always forget about the search functions in forums

Originally Posted by DavenHelen
What support will you have in NZ?
What would you do if you came across any obstacles? (List possible obstacles)
Has anyone given you any advice about moving to NZ ?
Do you have any questions ?
What wages to you expect?
How much do you expect to pay for your flat/house?
They may pose some problems!

I had an e-mail from a recruitment site saying they could place me in 4 weeks and would expect me to recieve a salary of $48,000 NZD per year.

Is that a good salary? I think it is around the national average isn't it?

By support I can list my brother and these forums yes? Is there anything else that I could use?

What sort of obsticals are we talking about? The main one I can think of is finding a job in NZ!! I have savings so are there any other likely ones? (I have no partner or kids)

When they say advice, my family advised that I move but apart from that not really..... Anybody got any?

I will do a search for rent rates, but I guess they will vary from area to area. Anybody got any thoughts?

Finally, should I have questions? Will it reflect badly on me if I don't??
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:55 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

AS LONG AS YOU CAN CONVINCE THE INTERVIEWER THAT YOU CAN BE A BENEFIT TO NZ INSTEAD OF A DRAIN, YOU'LL BE FINE.
SO LOVE YOURSELF, HAVE CONFIDENCE, AND MAKE THEM WANT YOU!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

DavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to all

For house rentals have a look at the Tenancy Agency publishes a list of average market rents by area (right down to individual suburbs in cities) at http://www.minhousing.govt.nz/market-rent.This also lists the size of the property and is updated every month.

Re obstacles how flexible are you with location to find work.
List various recruitment websites e.g Seek, government sites, NZ herald etc.
Just really show that you have put some thought into your application and show that you will be able to settle in there, try to remain calm and you will be ok.

good luck
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:37 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Think through how you're going to deal with everything on arriving here and have it straight in your mind.

For support- brother, us lot! You have savings to tide you over.
Advice- again BE, maybe your brother, books? internet, anything really, it's quite vague and I think they want to know that you have done some research.

The only obstacles I could think of were not finding a job and also not finding a job near my partner [he lived and already had a job here]. I had prepared some answers as to what I would do should I not find a job. So go through all possible scenarios and think about how you might respond to them eg no job offers, homesickness, disliking the job/area you eventually choose.
Remember they just want to know that you've done research and have a realistic attitude towards immigrating.

You don't need to ask questions, after all they are trying to ascertain your knowledge about NZ; it's more like an viva voce exam rather than a job interview. At the end you can always mention anything you wanted to say but forgot. The only question I asked was when I would hear back from them about whether I was accepted. The interview only lasted about 20mins so quite short and was also much less painful than expected!.

So do as Hazeandsteve said
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Heck 2 hours to go and my nerves are killing me!

Stupid question: If I ask how long it is likely to take me to hear back about whether the interview was successful or not, is that going to look bad, or is it generally expected that it will be asked?
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

ibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud of

My CO told me herself it will be in 1 weeks time.

Hang on mate, I know how you feel! Everything will be fine!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:18 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

It's a perfectly reasonable question. I asked it

My status was updated on the website the same day!

WP
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Well that was fun - NOT!

And they can still reject me outright at this stage! Hope that dosn't happen as if I have gotten this far I am guessing a rejection will have been based on the interview!

And she said it would take a week or so to hear back! No fair! I don't want sleepless nights. I need a

She did sound cute though I hope she is kind to me
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:46 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well - good luck in any case Gizmo.

WP
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

good luck for you

have a on me

Angela
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

for you.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

What questions did they ask you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.