IRRV and returning to NZ

Old Mar 3rd 2021, 10:08 am
Just Joined

selyah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IRRV and returning to NZ

So to cut a long story short, my wife and I lived in NZ for 11 years, we are British, we were both given and IRRV as I worked for NZ govt and travelled a lot on business.
I didnt see the point in applying and paying $1,00 each for a passports and residency at the time,as in those days I traveled to the US a fair bit and it was always complex if I had 2 passports.

We left NZ and came back to the UK in 2008 as my Father had a heart attack and my mother in law was diagnosed with terminal cancer.
We have been carears for various family members ever since, now considering all that has happened over the past 2 years want to go back to NZ permanetly.

Three questions:
1. We have kept our IRRV's upto date with each new passport, so are they still valid for my wife and I to just come back, is it just a matter of telling the IRD we are back and a new home address?
2. We have a child whilst back in the UK, how would we go about getting him residency on our return?
3. Left field question alert - my wife had a student loan that was put on hold when we left as we thought it was only going to be a year or 2, and we forgot about it, will we have to pay this back, instalments, lump sum, interest added?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 12:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IRRV and returning to NZ

Originally Posted by selyah
So to cut a long story short, my wife and I lived in NZ for 11 years, we are British, we were both given and IRRV as I worked for NZ govt and travelled a lot on business.
I didnt see the point in applying and paying $1,00 each for a passports and residency at the time,as in those days I traveled to the US a fair bit and it was always complex if I had 2 passports.

We left NZ and came back to the UK in 2008 as my Father had a heart attack and my mother in law was diagnosed with terminal cancer.
We have been carears for various family members ever since, now considering all that has happened over the past 2 years want to go back to NZ permanetly.

Three questions:
1. We have kept our IRRV's upto date with each new passport, so are they still valid for my wife and I to just come back, is it just a matter of telling the IRD we are back and a new home address?
2. We have a child whilst back in the UK, how would we go about getting him residency on our return?
3. Left field question alert - my wife had a student loan that was put on hold when we left as we thought it was only going to be a year or 2, and we forgot about it, will we have to pay this back, instalments, lump sum, interest added?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
For no. 2, have a look at the answer given in your previous thread - Moving back to NZ with UK born child

Good luck with the move back.

Old Mar 3rd 2021, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, that last thread was in 2011, so a long time ago, I didnt know if rules had changes in the last 10 years.
Will see if I can find anyone to ask in NZ immigration as to the sponsorship process.

Cheers.
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 12:17 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

NZ government info 'What happens to my student loan when I go overseas'
https://www.ird.govt.nz/student-loan...you%20returned.
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks I looked for this and coudnt find it, looks as though she can log on if she can remember her IRD number and look to see.