IRRV

Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:41 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default IRRV

I am leaving NZ for Australia (on a temporary visa) EXACTLY 2 years to the day that I entered NZ and was granted my permit. Will I be entitled to an IRRV? Can I apply for it from OZ?

The NZIS site says:

Indefinite
You qualify for an “indefinite” RRV if:
• you can demonstrate a commitment to New
Zealand by meeting the requirements set out in any
one of the situations numbered 1 to 5 below; and
• you held a Residence Permit at a time which was
a minimum of 2 years before the date your current
application for an RRV is made.

and I meet number 1:

1) Time spent in New Zealand
If you have held residence permits for a total of 184 days
or more in each of the two 12 month portions of the 24
months immediately preceding your RRV application;

If the above doesn't apply (I guess I'll either need to apply *before* I leave or my RRV will lapse) does anyone know whether this extract from the RRV guide means I would be reissued a two year one and then another one in two years????

I'll be in Oz long enough to get citizenship there I imagine but I feel all sentimental about my NZ residence. I'd be the only one in my family not entitled to be here if I lose it as the kids and dh are Kiwis.

Partners of New Zealand citizens
If you are the partner of a New Zealand citizen and do
not meet the requirements for an indefi nite Returning
Resident’s Visa, you may be issued a further two year
Returning Resident’s Visa. Your application must be
supported by your partner and you must also show
that your relationship is genuine and stable.
If you have dependent children, who were declared in
your application for residence, they can also be issued
with a Returning Resident’s Visa which will be for the
same period of time as your Returning Resident’s Visa.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: IRRV

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I am leaving NZ for Australia (on a temporary visa) EXACTLY 2 years to the day that I entered NZ and was granted my permit. Will I be entitled to an IRRV? Can I apply for it from OZ?

The NZIS site says:

Indefinite
You qualify for an “indefinite” RRV if:
• you can demonstrate a commitment to New
Zealand by meeting the requirements set out in any
one of the situations numbered 1 to 5 below; and
• you held a Residence Permit at a time which was
a minimum of 2 years before the date your current
application for an RRV is made.

and I meet number 1:

1) Time spent in New Zealand
If you have held residence permits for a total of 184 days
or more in each of the two 12 month portions of the 24
months immediately preceding your RRV application;

If the above doesn't apply (I guess I'll either need to apply *before* I leave or my RRV will lapse) does anyone know whether this extract from the RRV guide means I would be reissued a two year one and then another one in two years????

I'll be in Oz long enough to get citizenship there I imagine but I feel all sentimental about my NZ residence. I'd be the only one in my family not entitled to be here if I lose it as the kids and dh are Kiwis.
Can you not defer your departure to aus by a few days? It is possible to get your IRRV on the day if you go to NZIS in person. (well it was when we applied for our IRRVs)

It may be tricky satisfying immigration about your commitment to NZ. Make sure if your leaving for Aus is raised you point out it is temporary and that you would like to settle in NZ long term.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:49 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. Flights were heaps cheaper on that day and would now cost me $100 per person to change anyway- was silly of me really! I'm entering Oz on a temporary visa so perhaps they'll take that into consideration.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 12:13 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Not really. Flights were heaps cheaper on that day and would now cost me $100 per person to change anyway- was silly of me really! I'm entering Oz on a temporary visa so perhaps they'll take that into consideration.

You are gonna have to send your passport off with your paperwork though won't you? In which case they will see that you are out the country at the time of applying
Old Nov 6th 2008, 2:08 am
---

Yeah, I may have stuffed it for the IRRV but will contact NZIS and see what they say. the para about partners of NZ citizens is a little ambiguous so I'm hopeful about that bit.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 12:46 am
---

NZIS say I just apply for my IRRV from the Sydney office and I'm perfectly entitled to it. Seems odd as I'll have left NZ, but that's what she said