British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   interview for partner visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/interview-partner-visa-702039/)

Soja Jan 24th 2011 12:39 am

interview for partner visa?

Hi guys

does anyone know whether ALL de facto applicants need to attend an interview for their visas to be processed?

If so...(heard many crazy stories) WHO is actually attending the interview? Only the main applicant? Or applicant+sponsor? Or only sponsor?

I have read that in OZ they ask all de facto applicants for an interview, but in NZ only applicants who cant provide enough evidence...Is that true?

Cheers;)

BevK Jan 25th 2011 10:39 am

Re: interview for partner visa?

Originally Posted by Soja (Post 9123794)
Hi guys

does anyone know whether ALL de facto applicants need to attend an interview for their visas to be processed?

If so...(heard many crazy stories) WHO is actually attending the interview? Only the main applicant? Or applicant+sponsor? Or only sponsor?

I have read that in OZ they ask all de facto applicants for an interview, but in NZ only applicants who cant provide enough evidence...Is that true?

Cheers;)

Hi Soja,

I provided lots of evidence and my NZ partner visa was approved without an interview. Maybe a lack of evidence proving a genuine relationship is the reason why people have to attend for interview. Sorry but cant help with who needs to attend. Good luck!!

Soja Jan 25th 2011 3:35 pm

Thanks BevK for your experience...Good to hear. I find an interview pretty scary, although we are a genuine and happy, loving couple...When did you get ur visa? We wont apply before the end of the year...need some more months to live together (have lived together now for 9 months) but I am finishing a postgrad course in England currently (5 months to go...) and then we have to live together again (in NZ or OZ) for at least 3-4 months before we can apply....nervwrecking!

BevK Jan 25th 2011 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Soja (Post 9127749)
Thanks BevK for your experience...Good to hear. I find an interview pretty scary, although we are a genuine and happy, loving couple...When did you get ur visa? We wont apply before the end of the year...need some more months to live together (have lived together now for 9 months) but I am finishing a postgrad course in England currently (5 months to go...) and then we have to live together again (in NZ or OZ) for at least 3-4 months before we can apply....nervwrecking!

Your welcome :D My visa was only approved at the beginning of this month, but I havent sent off the migrant levy fee and passport yet - got till June to do that. No rush because we're happy to wait till our daughter finishes her first year of high school. Plus we'll be coming out of our summer (what there is of it) and going into theirs. The more evidence you can provide the easier it will be, keep anything that shows you as a couple, eg wedding invitations, travel/car/health insurance policies, holiday itineraries, bills and bank accounts, photos, basically anything and everything. Once agan, good luck :fingerscrossed:

Wessa Jan 31st 2011 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by BevK (Post 9127879)
The more evidence you can provide the easier it will be, keep anything that shows you as a couple, eg wedding invitations, travel/car/health insurance policies, holiday itineraries, bills and bank accounts, photos, basically anything and everything. Once agan, good luck :fingerscrossed:

Iwas told today it preferably has to be joint statements and things like that, also going back at least two years. Things that show a continuous relationship. We have things like holiday flight tickets, things like that if possible.

BevK is spot on.

Gary. ;)

Soja Feb 1st 2011 7:07 am

...going back 2 years??? But the relationship requirement is 1 year,isnt it?? We are going out by the time of the application for 2.5 years- but have only lived together for 1 year- and would consider ourselves in a de facto relationship for around 1.5 years....why do they say 2 years??

BevK Feb 1st 2011 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Soja (Post 9143301)
...going back 2 years??? But the relationship requirement is 1 year,isnt it?? We are going out by the time of the application for 2.5 years- but have only lived together for 1 year- and would consider ourselves in a de facto relationship for around 1.5 years....why do they say 2 years??

As far as I am aware, it needs to be at least 12 months, as Soja has said. :)

Soja Feb 1st 2011 1:39 pm

thank you!!
I was already close to a heart attack...:) I found the whole process very nervwrecking, and we havent even started properly (apart from collecting evidence etc). Thanks for ur re-assurance, BevK, couldnt find any statement on the immi homepage that 2 yrs are required anyway. But I thought they might have just recently changed it....

BevK Feb 1st 2011 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Soja (Post 9144103)
thank you!!
I was already close to a heart attack...:) I found the whole process very nervwrecking, and we havent even started properly (apart from collecting evidence etc). Thanks for ur re-assurance, BevK, couldnt find any statement on the immi homepage that 2 yrs are required anyway. But I thought they might have just recently changed it....

:thumbup: You're welcome. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Bev

simonsi Feb 2nd 2011 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Soja (Post 9123794)
Hi guys

Cheers;)

NZIS officers are guided by the Ops Manual which is available to read on the NZIS website, the section you need is:

F2.25.1 Interviews

1. Immigration officers will usually conduct an interview with both the principal applicant and their partner to determine whether the couple is living together in a partnership that is genuine and stable.
2. Interviews may be waived if an immigration officer is satisfied without an interview that the couple is living together in a partnership that is genuine and stable.
3. Immigration officers may also make home visits and conduct interviews with any other person relevant to the application. Additional interviews may also be conducted during and/or at the end of any deferral period (see F2.35) to determine whether the couple is still living together in a partnership that is genuine and stable.

So usually both but the interviews can be waived if NZIS are happy from the evidence provided and circumstances.

I don't recall anyone on here posting that they have had a home visit :eek:

This might also be of interest:

F2.35 Deferring the final decision if the partnership is genuine and stable but less than 12 months duration

1. An application can only be deferred if the applicant has been assessed as living together in a genuine and stable partnership with their New Zealand citizen or resident partner but the 12 month qualifying period has not been met.
2. If, after assessing an application, an immigration officer is satisfied the couple are living together in a partnership that is genuine and stable, but the duration of that partnership is less than the 12 months required, (see F2.5(a)) they may defer the final decision to enable the qualifying period to be met.
3. If the principal applicant wishes to be in New Zealand with their partner during the deferral period, they may be granted a work visa (once an application has been made) for a period sufficient to enable the qualifying period to be met and any further assessment of their residence class visa application to be completed.

So the qualifying period can be completed in NZ

Soja Feb 2nd 2011 7:30 am

merci beaucoup! That`s what I was after...:-)

NakiMan Feb 7th 2011 8:09 pm

Although I spoke to my case officer a couple of times on the phone, and offered to go for an interview, I was told that it wasn't neccesary.

I arrived as a visitor in November 2006 with my partner and lodged my PR application in January 2007.

In April 2007 Immigration themselves sugested I apply for a work permit to allow me to stay in NZ legally till my application was approved, even though I had no intention of finding work. This was issued in 12 days, valid for 2 years.

PR was eventually granted in August 2007.

Hope this reassures you

Soja Feb 7th 2011 8:16 pm

thank you so much!!! Greatly appreciated!
All the best for you in NZ. I got my Work and Holiday Visa to NZ approved in the mean time (at least something to start of with...) we can then apply after a few months for residency....(are short of a few months living together atm- need another 3-4 months before we can prove 12 months living together).