British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Insuring goods whilst in transit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/insuring-goods-whilst-transit-738502/)

MrsFychan Nov 10th 2011 11:58 am

Insuring goods whilst in transit

3 bed house contents and car coming out roughly 40K, hope I've done the sums right PSS wants to charge 2.8%. so £1120.
does that seem reasonable?
anywhere else I can get quotes from?

johnht Nov 10th 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Insuring goods whilst in transit

Everyone usually recommends Letton Percival. Well worth getting a quote from them even if you do eventually decide on your shipper's insurance, your shipper may not come down to LP's quote but they'll probably move a bit towards it. Also I think most policies recommend you value stuff at the replacement cost at your destination - just worth checking.
John.

MrsFychan Nov 10th 2011 9:12 pm

thank you for that John, will give them a call tomorrow

Boopy Nov 10th 2011 9:45 pm

We used Crown & they were excellent. They have offices here in NZ & a branch in Wellington, so they don't have to sub contract once here & they sorted all the MAF stuff out. Our goods arrived 100%.... nothing broken or missing, I was very impressed with the service. They weren't the cheapest but we wanted to be sure we didn't loose anything (hubby's CD collections, lol) In total with full insurance it cost 5K for a 3 bed house, we used a 20 ft container & a little bit more.

MrsFychan Nov 11th 2011 8:58 am

just spoken to Letton Percival and what a very helpful man it was to.
prices are 1.25% of total so a lot less and they cover mould, pairs as standard whereas some others charge for these.
So thanks John very much appreciated :thumbsup:

Stormer999 Nov 11th 2011 9:05 am

cover mould, pairs as standard whereas some others charge for these. ?

MrsFychan Nov 11th 2011 9:31 am

they don't charge extra to insure against mould and meldew, as well as replacing both items if one of a pair gets damaged. whereas some insurers charge extra for this type of thing

Stormer999 Nov 11th 2011 9:38 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 9726968)
they don't charge extra to insure against mould and meldew, as well as replacing both items if one of a pair gets damaged. whereas some insurers charge extra for this type of thing

Ah well done..:thumbup: Keep asking useful questions...;)