Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Initial stages of considering moving to New Zealand

Initial stages of considering moving to New Zealand

Old Jul 29th 2012, 11:06 am
Just Joined

MrsH2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Initial stages of considering moving to New Zealand

Hi

I have just joined this site and wondered if anyone can give me some pointers.

My fiance and I are getting married in a few weeks and have a 6 year old son. We both feel that the UK isn't giving us the life we truly want and more importantly would like a better environment and future for our little boy.

Therefore we are both talking about whether we try and move to New Zealand. I have been looking at the skills shortages and have struggled to find either my own profession or my husbands on there. Perhaps I'm missing something or looking in the wrong place.

I am a CIPD qualified HR professional with 10 years experience and my h2b is a police officer and has been for 5 years. I suppose my initial questions are around whether these are useful professions for NZ and how to find the relevant information for visas. Like I said haven't found either profession on the immigration site, so there may not be a need for either of our skills??

Any advice is gratefully received!
Old Jul 29th 2012, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

rogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Initial stages of considering moving to New Zealand

Have you checked what points you'll get using the Points Calculator?

It's somewhere fairly oblivious on the NZ Immigration website. And there's a flowchart that provides an overview of the immigration process somewhere on this forum that really helpful.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

rogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rogercruse
...there's a flowchart...
Sorry, that's on another immigration forum
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:13 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by rogercruse
Sorry, that's on another immigration forum
No it isn't. It's buried somewhere here . I know as I put it up quite a while ago.

Hi MrsH2012 and welcome.

If you haven't been able to find your respective occupations on the shortages lists, then that means that that it isn't in shortage here in NZ. In other words the NZ Dept of Employment feels there are enough home growns of that occupation that could fill vacancies.

NZ police are not recruiting from overseas at this present time. Anyone wanting to join NZ police force will need to have NZ residency first.

However, your occupation may still be seen as skilled even though not in shortage here.
223111 Human Resource Adviser ------
132311 Human Resource Manager
So, if you had enough points under the skilled migrant category you could apply .
For many this means a job offer to boost the points. As the occupation is not in shortage , it would mean that any employer wanting to offer you a position needs to prove there is no NZ citizen or resident that could take up that vacancy.

Points Indicator. click the link

Moved to Immy forum.....
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:45 am
Just Joined

alexn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, UK is a good place too. The olympics are happening there.

Nevertheless, this is your personal decision. The skilled shortages are the occupations which get you the points. But I think there are also other recognized professions not in that list that can be considered. Best to check with the NZ immigration or a migration agent. The agent will assess your work and qualification details for the best possible options for you.

Originally Posted by MrsH2012
Hi

I have just joined this site and wondered if anyone can give me some pointers.

My fiance and I are getting married in a few weeks and have a 6 year old son. We both feel that the UK isn't giving us the life we truly want and more importantly would like a better environment and future for our little boy.

Therefore we are both talking about whether we try and move to New Zealand. I have been looking at the skills shortages and have struggled to find either my own profession or my husbands on there. Perhaps I'm missing something or looking in the wrong place.

I am a CIPD qualified HR professional with 10 years experience and my h2b is a police officer and has been for 5 years. I suppose my initial questions are around whether these are useful professions for NZ and how to find the relevant information for visas. Like I said haven't found either profession on the immigration site, so there may not be a need for either of our skills??

Any advice is gratefully received!
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexn
Hey, UK is a good place too. The olympics are happening there.

Nevertheless, this is your personal decision. The skilled shortages are the occupations which get you the points. But I think there are also other recognized professions not in that list that can be considered. Best to check with the NZ immigration or a migration agent. The agent will assess your work and qualification details for the best possible options for you.
Unless their case is particularly complicated then they won't need an agent. I have sent you a PM alexn.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello & to our cosy NZ forums MrsH. I can't help you regarding your particular profession. I do know that NZ Police are no longer actively recruiting from the UK. However, your OH could apply to join NZ Police but from what I can gather he would need to start from the bottom & work his way up.

Sorry I'm not able to help further at this point.