Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

infuriating immigration - but sticking at it

infuriating immigration - but sticking at it

Old Aug 26th 2012, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

stevieg_83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default infuriating immigration - but sticking at it

We submitted our EOI for a skilled migrant visa 2 weeks ago and got it rejected out of hand this week

At the moment I'm a self-employed web developer with clients globally and the plan was to come out to NZ and set myself up there.

I was told though that my degree in Multimedia Systems did not apply to the category that I was applying to, despite the fact that web developer is on the skills shortage list, so that also knocked on my experience in the skills shortage area, deducting 25 points and leaving us 10 points off where we expected.

The puzzling thing is that we applied in 2009 with the same application and were invited to apply (we decided to wait until we were on a better financial footing) and so we left it.

Needless to say I did cite our last application as being acceptable to them and so a technical advisor has been sought to look at my university transcripts.

If the worst comes to the worst I'll need to apply for a job to get us over the points threshhold but hopefully won't come to that...but if needs must.

So yeah, sticking with it. What's for me won't go by me
Old Aug 26th 2012, 11:58 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: infuriating immigration - but sticking at it

sorry to hear this, only thing to say is that criteria for selection does change from time to time.
As you say best way forward may be to get a job offer, from our families experience with IT positions it does seem that boots on the ground is the best way to go. IT is very much how you fit into the dynamics of the company and skill set so face to face interviews are the way to go in most cases.

My husband was lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time on a holiday over here to be offered a job.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:03 am
Just Joined

stevieg_83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: infuriating immigration - but sticking at it

yeah, not too disheartened. I have a friend in Whangarei who has a job I could do for him, he's struggled getting anyone to move as well as not having enough quality about them.

my folks and sisters are based down in Tauranga and we're in NZ for 3 months as of November (we booked the "holiday" before we decided we'd apply to migrate) so I guess have a chance then.

I still reckon our EOI will get accepted once the technical advisor is done - unless they don't honour their own criteria which would be nuts.

My only real issue is that I don't really have the desire to go back on someone else's payroll, not to mention if I did I'd lose all my current clients.