Information on moving to NZ

Old May 17th 2005, 5:43 pm
  #1  
Kilmaurs Punter
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Kilmaurs, Ayrshire, Scotland
Posts: 5
bruce@kilmaurs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information on moving to NZ

I am trying to plan well ahead and will be moving to NZ in around 3 years. I am looking for as much information as possible as what I should do first and how to do it. Any info on what an EOI is and where can I get one would be appreciated.
Many thanks

Bruce
bruce@kilmaurs is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 5:49 pm
  #2  
Don
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,613
Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Information on moving to NZ

Troll and/ or thickie alert!!!
Don is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 7:13 pm
  #3  
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 576
scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Information on moving to NZ

Originally Posted by Don
Troll and/ or thickie alert!!!
Now, now Don... thats not very nice.

Now Mr Scottish man,

Try the nzis website for info on EOI (Expression of Interest) and any other info re Work Visas etc.

First question is what do you do for a living?? Which part of NZ do you fancy living in?? - North or South Island.

There are quite a few NZ forums out there. You can also try www.*****.co.uk. Use the search tool for this forum for loads of info.
scottish is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 8:08 pm
  #4  
Kilmaurs Punter
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Kilmaurs, Ayrshire, Scotland
Posts: 5
bruce@kilmaurs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Information on moving to NZ

Originally Posted by scottish
Now, now Don... thats not very nice.

Now Mr Scottish man,

Try the nzis website for info on EOI (Expression of Interest) and any other info re Work Visas etc.

First question is what do you do for a living?? Which part of NZ do you fancy living in?? - North or South Island.

There are quite a few NZ forums out there. You can also try www.*****.co.uk. Use the search tool for this forum for loads of info.
Thanks for the reply Scottish

That Don would appear to be a bit of a twat, but I have been warned about this and so take it with a pinch of salt, you know how some people can be jealous of us Scots.

Anyway back to your reply, I have been working in computer support for around 12 years and am looking to move to the North Island as the company I work for has an office in Auckalnd but also in Wellington. So I really am open to trying to move to the best location but not sure which is best. The South which is quieter and cheaper or the North which is busier, more expensive and better weather.
bruce@kilmaurs is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 8:44 pm
  #5  
Give us a kiss
 
Biddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Peka Peka - Kapiti Coast - Nice!
Posts: 3,140
Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information on moving to NZ

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Thanks for the reply Scottish

That Don would appear to be a bit of a twat, but I have been warned about this and so take it with a pinch of salt, you know how some people can be jealous of us Scots.

Anyway back to your reply, I have been working in computer support for around 12 years and am looking to move to the North Island as the company I work for has an office in Auckalnd but also in Wellington. So I really am open to trying to move to the best location but not sure which is best. The South which is quieter and cheaper or the North which is busier, more expensive and better weather.
3 Years away!!
I'd recommend taking a holiday out there and deciding for yourself
Biddy is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 9:17 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
extrameant's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 235
extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice
Default Re: Information on moving to NZ

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Thanks for the reply Scottish

That Don would appear to be a bit of a twat, but I have been warned about this and so take it with a pinch of salt, you know how some people can be jealous of us Scots.

Anyway back to your reply, I have been working in computer support for around 12 years and am looking to move to the North Island as the company I work for has an office in Auckalnd but also in Wellington. So I really am open to trying to move to the best location but not sure which is best. The South which is quieter and cheaper or the North which is busier, more expensive and better weather.
If you are Scottish then you could well find the weather nicer to the south. I live in Auckland, and the biggest down side to Auckland over Wellington, in my mind, is the humidity up here (otherwise, I prefer Auckland for what its worth). This summer was not bad but there was one recently where there was 100% humitity for 72 hour non stop. It is fine for walking and gentle stuff, but if you like any sports then you could suffer. I go trials riding (on a motorbike) and in summer use about 3litres of water in 2 hours. People never believe me, but there you go. Even gardening is pretty horrible in that weather. In summer, if i go for a walk at lunchtime, it has to be very slow or I get covered in sweat which is horrible when you go back inside. These are some of the things you don't think about when living in Scotland (This summer was great though).

I was working with a Maori rigger the other month. Huge big guy, really fit and strong. He has started just recently coming into the office to get more involved in the planning and he says that was enough to make him really suffer outside in the humidity. When he was never in an air con building he said there was no problems!

I have never aclimatised to it, because it is only bad for a 2~3 months and most offices are air conditioned. I think the year before last was bad and the locals told me that was more like summers used to be here 20 years ago. Kiwis seem to not notice the humidity as such but describe it as being hot, when in fact it is no hotter than normal. I definitely suffer far more than the locals.

Generally Feb and March are the worst months.

I have found that winter up here is almost the same as a good Scottish summer, and summer is generally loads better with a lot of showers. If you are from Scotland, it won't seem there are a lot of showers. There are some winters here that are like bad Scottish Summers.
The sun in NZ is bad though and it is pretty horrible having to put on sun screen all the time. Scottish people aren't used to the sun, but even at that it is bad. I meet quite a lot of Fijian indians driving taxis. They say they never burned in Fiji, but they get burnt here.

Regarding Wellington being windy, it is really just like a gentle breeze to keep you cool. Depends what you are used to. If you ignore the wind, then I think most people would prefer Wellington weather over Auckland.
extrameant is offline  
Old May 18th 2005, 7:48 am
  #7  
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 576
scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Information on moving to NZ

I personally dont like Auckland but since you have time why not pop over for a holiday. I would take Wellington over Auckland. Auckland reminded me of London - very busy!!!

Weather wise yes Auckland had a better climate. Auckland had alot of rain but its proper rain. Not the crappy drizzle we get in Scotland for days on end. We lived in the BOP about 2 hrs from Auckland and our climate was excellant. Winter, mostly sunny days temp reached around 16 degrees but close to freezing at night and the Summer was hot, hot and lovely hot lol.
scottish is offline  
Old May 18th 2005, 6:17 pm
  #8  
Kilmaurs Punter
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Kilmaurs, Ayrshire, Scotland
Posts: 5
bruce@kilmaurs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Information on moving to NZ

Originally Posted by scottish
I personally dont like Auckland but since you have time why not pop over for a holiday. I would take Wellington over Auckland. Auckland reminded me of London - very busy!!!

Weather wise yes Auckland had a better climate. Auckland had alot of rain but its proper rain. Not the crappy drizzle we get in Scotland for days on end. We lived in the BOP about 2 hrs from Auckland and our climate was excellant. Winter, mostly sunny days temp reached around 16 degrees but close to freezing at night and the Summer was hot, hot and lovely hot lol.
Can you suggest any cheap places to stay and the best way to get to New Zealand if I was going to come over for a week or two. Also if I apply for a visa now and lets say for argument sake I get one within a year. How long does this visa stay valid for? I have got loads and loads of questions to ask but don't want to burden you with all of them. Who would you suggest I contact regarding my queries.
Thanks
Bruce
bruce@kilmaurs is offline  
Old May 18th 2005, 8:52 pm
  #9  
Don't let me get me....
 
Pinkie Pie's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Teetering on the edge...
Posts: 1,964
Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information on moving to NZ

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Can you suggest any cheap places to stay and the best way to get to New Zealand if I was going to come over for a week or two.Also if I apply for a visa now and lets say for argument sake I get one within a year. How long does this visa stay valid for? I have got loads and loads of questions to ask but don't want to burden you with all of them. Who would you suggest I contact regarding my queries.
Thanks
Bruce
Hi Bruce

This is a post regarding holiday homes posted by scottish

Originally Posted by scottish
Rather than living in a hotel until you find a rental or buy a house or betterstill living in a unfurnished house until your bits arrive why not book a holiday home. Great rates, good locations and alot take pets. www.holidayhomes.co.nz.
This is a link to info regarding visa validation:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/Migra...ermits.htm#top

and this is a link to info regarding EOI:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ionofinterest/

You may find the answer to a lot of your queries on this website - I know I did!



Pinkie

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; May 18th 2005 at 9:01 pm.
Pinkie Pie is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.