British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Importing Animals & other stuff....... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/importing-animals-other-stuff-524790/)

Rock Ape Mar 27th 2008 10:02 am

Importing Animals & other stuff.......

Hi,
In the course of getting our action plan together we have to include the importation of 3 cats and 3 dogs and although I realise that there are strict rules governing this process there a a couple of questions.

I understand that there are a limited number of quarantine establishments available and wonder how hard it is to secure places. A guide on the likely costs would also be appreciated if anyone has experience of this.

The other query I have relates to the verification of non-NZ qualifications on the EOI form. Where it asks if the qualification has been verified by the New Zealand Qualification Assessment board - how does one do this in order to be able to answer 'yes' on the form?

happynz Mar 27th 2008 5:13 pm

Re: Importing Animals & other stuff.......

Originally Posted by Rock Ape (Post 6117879)
The other query I have relates to the verification of non-NZ qualifications on the EOI form. Where it asks if the qualification has been verified by the New Zealand Qualification Assessment board - how does one do this in order to be able to answer 'yes' on the form?

In order to tick yes you would obviously need to have your qualifications verified bt New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA). For me it was a two step process. First I had to have it pre-assessed so I could get a number to add to my EOI. That was NZ$75. Then I had to shell out NZ$450 for a full assessment so NZQA could print up a piece of paper telling all and sundry that my qualification was equal to a level 7.

Anyway -- the word from the horse's mouth so to speak...

SM14.35 NZQA Pre-Assessment Results (PARs) and Qualifications Assessment Results (QARs)

See SM14.35 Effective 17/12/2003

1. The NZQA will provide Pre-Assessment Results (PARs) and Qualifications Assessment Reports (QARs).
2. A Pre-Assessment Result is a report that compares an applicant's nominated qualification to a Level on the New Zealand Register of Quality Assured Qualifications. It is made on the understanding that:
1. a pre-assessment result is based solely on unverified information provided by the applicant on the application form; and
2. no documentation is sighted; and
3. only one overseas qualification is compared; and
4. when an application for residence is made*, a full assessment (a Qualifications Assessment Report) will be required to determine whether a qualification (or group of qualifications) will qualify for points.
3. A Qualifications Assessment Report:
1. assesses an overseas qualification (or group of qualifications) by stating the learning outcomes of the closest New Zealand equivalent qualification; and
2. states the Register of New Zealand Quality Assured Qualifications level of that equivalent qualifications; and
3. refers to any verification of the applicant's qualifications undertaken by the NZQA.

alchris Mar 27th 2008 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6119630)
In order to tick yes you would obviously need to have your qualifications verified bt New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA). For me it was a two step process. First I had to have it pre-assessed so I could get a number to add to my EOI. That was NZ$75. Then I had to shell out NZ$450 for a full assessment so NZQA could print up a piece of paper telling all and sundry that my qualification was equal to a level 7.

Anyway -- the word from the horse's mouth so to speak...

SM14.35 NZQA Pre-Assessment Results (PARs) and Qualifications Assessment Results (QARs)

See SM14.35 Effective 17/12/2003

1. The NZQA will provide Pre-Assessment Results (PARs) and Qualifications Assessment Reports (QARs).
2. A Pre-Assessment Result is a report that compares an applicant's nominated qualification to a Level on the New Zealand Register of Quality Assured Qualifications. It is made on the understanding that:
1. a pre-assessment result is based solely on unverified information provided by the applicant on the application form; and
2. no documentation is sighted; and
3. only one overseas qualification is compared; and
4. when an application for residence is made*, a full assessment (a Qualifications Assessment Report) will be required to determine whether a qualification (or group of qualifications) will qualify for points.
3. A Qualifications Assessment Report:
1. assesses an overseas qualification (or group of qualifications) by stating the learning outcomes of the closest New Zealand equivalent qualification; and
2. states the Register of New Zealand Quality Assured Qualifications level of that equivalent qualifications; and
3. refers to any verification of the applicant's qualifications undertaken by the NZQA.

We didn't have ours assesed as OH qualifications were on the list on the goverment website of qualifications that were recognised by NZ. submitted EOI ok and its been selected so fingers crossed!

Chris

Cyffiwr Mar 27th 2008 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Rock Ape (Post 6117879)
Hi,
In the course of getting our action plan together we have to include the importation of 3 cats and 3 dogs and although I realise that there are strict rules governing this process there a a couple of questions.

I understand that there are a limited number of quarantine establishments available and wonder how hard it is to secure places. A guide on the likely costs would also be appreciated if anyone has experience of this.

Hi,

Where are you coming from? From the UK there is no quarantine - just a strict policy to be adhered to: blood and faecal tests to be done and clear within 30 days of travelling. We're bringing 5 cats and one dog! I don't know the rules from anywhere other than UK though...

Rock Ape Mar 27th 2008 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Cyffiwr (Post 6120625)
Hi,

Where are you coming from? From the UK there is no quarantine - just a strict policy to be adhered to: blood and faecal tests to be done and clear within 30 days of travelling. We're bringing 5 cats and one dog! I don't know the rules from anywhere other than UK though...

We're coming from mainland Europe not the UK.

happynz Mar 27th 2008 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by alchris (Post 6120591)
We didn't have ours assesed as OH qualifications were on the list on the goverment website of qualifications that were recognised by NZ. submitted EOI ok and its been selected so fingers crossed!

Chris

Well done then. Yeah, I should have added that not all qualifications need to be assessed. I went to a no-name fourth tier university so I had to have my stuff assessed.

Maz Mar 28th 2008 8:56 am

Careful how many pets you want here... regardless of how many are allowed (if any) where you rent at first, the place we live in has a local council by-law stating a maximum of five pets per house. Just something to keep in mind...

Rock Ape Mar 28th 2008 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 6122536)
Careful how many pets you want here... regardless of how many are allowed (if any) where you rent at first, the place we live in has a local council by-law stating a maximum of five pets per house. Just something to keep in mind...

Thanks for that - Which council? Presumably this by-law relates only to rented property and not free-hold? Incidentally (for those interested) I have now had the costs confirmed by a quarantine centre. 3 cats + 3 dogs = NZD7,200 excluding flights.

Maz Mar 28th 2008 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Rock Ape (Post 6122553)
Thanks for that - Which council? Presumably this by-law relates only to rented property and not free-hold? Incidentally (for those interested) I have now had the costs confirmed by a quarantine centre. 3 cats + 3 dogs = NZD7,200 excluding flights.

That is a big chunk of cash...

This is Porirua City Council, and no this is for freehold. We own our house and had to sign a document stating we'd keep to five or fewer 4-legged friends. Oh, and we're not allowed livestock either, so no lone chicken for us to produce eggs, the rotters! :mad: :(

Landlords have every right to specify zero pets in their contracts, and many/most do just that. A lot of places will allow cats, but not dogs. Probably a good idea to clue yourself up on this, have a search on rental properties on trademe to see what your options might be. Where do you plan on living?

Rock Ape Mar 29th 2008 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 6125595)
That is a big chunk of cash...

This is Porirua City Council, and no this is for freehold. We own our house and had to sign a document stating we'd keep to five or fewer 4-legged friends. Oh, and we're not allowed livestock either, so no lone chicken for us to produce eggs, the rotters! :mad: :(

Landlords have every right to specify zero pets in their contracts, and many/most do just that. A lot of places will allow cats, but not dogs. Probably a good idea to clue yourself up on this, have a search on rental properties on trademe to see what your options might be. Where do you plan on living?

I liked your reference to 'four-legged friends', as one of our cats only has three but I'd doubt that would cut much ice!! At present we are looking at the Manukau City area perhaps Howick/Mellons Bay as I have a job offer in central Auckland so it would be handy for travel. Its all still in the early stages and I obviously appreciate that having 6 animals may be difficult. If it turns out that we can't bring them then we'll have to forget the whole thing and stay in France. They're as much part of the family as our children.

Maz Mar 29th 2008 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Rock Ape (Post 6126611)
I liked your reference to 'four-legged friends', as one of our cats only has three but I'd doubt that would cut much ice!! At present we are looking at the Manukau City area perhaps Howick/Mellons Bay as I have a job offer in central Auckland so it would be handy for travel. Its all still in the early stages and I obviously appreciate that having 6 animals may be difficult. If it turns out that we can't bring them then we'll have to forget the whole thing and stay in France. They're as much part of the family as our children.

Understand, for some it is not an option, to find new homes for pets.

I was in France for a number of years. Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me if you'd like and we can swap stories. :) I rather miss France, to be honest... :(