British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   immigration visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/immigration-visas-681070/)

gedsy Aug 13th 2010 4:17 pm

immigration visas

hi, hoping to come over to NZ in Jan 2011. Exploring different ways of coming over, currently awaiting a phone call from an immigration consultant based at NZ House regarding a skilled migrant visa, do the health checks and xrays have to be completed in the UK as they are quite costly. Can they be done when you are working over in NZ, i am a nurse and will be coming over with my husband and child.:thumbup:

Newfies Aug 14th 2010 4:09 am

Re: immigration visas

If it is a permenant move that you are looking to make then I would recommend that you go down the route or permenant residency visa. As a nurse you will easily obtain more than enough point for the EOI.

Especially if you can get a job offer before you leave. That is easy to do as all the DHB will interview you over the phone one you have sent off application forms which is all done via the web. All you need to do it take a look at what area you think will suit you and your family best.

As for medicals I am under the impression that no matter what visa you apply for you will need a medical. It will also be easier and cheaper to get them done back in the UK, but well worth phoning around and getting prices as they can be more expensive in one area to another. Even adding the cost of fuel to travel to an approved center will sometimes be cheaper that the closest on to where you live.

The other reason as to why I said about getting a PR visa is that it will only be one set of medical checks. If you were to go down another visa rout you could well incur 2 medical costs.

HTH.

gedsy Aug 17th 2010 8:04 am

Originally Posted by gedsy (Post 8775057)
hi, hoping to come over to NZ in Jan 2011. Exploring different ways of coming over, currently awaiting a phone call from an immigration consultant based at NZ House regarding a skilled migrant visa, do the health checks and xrays have to be completed in the UK as they are quite costly. Can they be done when you are working over in NZ, i am a nurse and will be coming over with my husband and child.:thumbup:

I gained my registration in march 2009 to practice as a registered nurse in new zealand. I am hoping to go out next year do i have to complete an annual practising certificate before i go out to new zealand. Also can i just ask once you have gained your regisdtration do i have to be practising within a certain time of gaining my registration. as i was informed once i gained my registration this lasted me a life time.

BEVS Aug 17th 2010 8:17 am

Originally Posted by gedsy (Post 8775057)
hi, hoping to come over to NZ in Jan 2011. Exploring different ways of coming over, currently awaiting a phone call from an immigration consultant based at NZ House regarding a skilled migrant visa,

I don't understand this at all
Immigration consultants do not work out of NZ Immigration at all . Immigration consultants are independently run businesses not based at NZIS.
Who is your contact ? and from what company?

Do the health checks and xrays have to be completed in the UK as they are quite costly. Can they be done when you are working over in NZ, i am a nurse and will be coming over with my husband and child.:thumbup:
Your immy consultant should have told you this. :blink:

You can obtain your meds either in the UK or NZ. Where you choose to do this will depend on your personal time frame , costs and the PR application.

Newfies Aug 17th 2010 10:41 am

Originally Posted by gedsy (Post 8782440)
I gained my registration in march 2009 to practice as a registered nurse in new zealand. I am hoping to go out next year do i have to complete an annual practising certificate before i go out to new zealand. Also can i just ask once you have gained your regisdtration do i have to be practising within a certain time of gaining my registration. as i was informed once i gained my registration this lasted me a life time.

Nursing registration is in two parts in effect. You have to have your skills assessed to go on the nursing register. Then you apply for a annual practising certificate which is $96NZD per year. You can not work as a nurse without an Annual Practising Certificate. This is renewed every year depending on your birth month.

Not sure I understand what you meant about gaining registration and practising within a certain time!

You have to work a certain number of hours and complete a certain ammount of study over 3 years to keep your registration and to obtain your practising certificate.
As for registration lasting a life time errrrrmmmmmmmm not sure I have ever heard about that one! I suppose you could be on the register for life but not able to practice as the all important annual practising certificate come into play again!

HTH

gedsy Aug 17th 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks for you reply, sorry i did not make myself clear. What i mean is my registration came through on 11th March 2009 but i am not actually going to N.Z. until next year. Is it OK to have this period of time elapsing between registration and actually working in NZ.

Originally Posted by Newfies (Post 8782687)
Nursing registration is in two parts in effect. You have to have your skills assessed to go on the nursing register. Then you apply for a annual practising certificate which is $96NZD per year. You can not work as a nurse without an Annual Practising Certificate. This is renewed every year depending on your birth month.

Not sure I understand what you meant about gaining registration and practising within a certain time!

You have to work a certain number of hours and complete a certain ammount of study over 3 years to keep your registration and to obtain your practising certificate.
As for registration lasting a life time errrrrmmmmmmmm not sure I have ever heard about that one! I suppose you could be on the register for life but not able to practice as the all important annual practising certificate come into play again!

HTH

Newfies Aug 17th 2010 8:31 pm

Yes if the Annual practising certificate is still valid.

As I have stated there are two parts to Nursing registation. The first part is sending off transcripts etc from your university and references from your employer.

The second is for an Annual practising certificate. What is the date on this? If it is still in date then fine no problems as you will still be working in the UK during this period. If not in date then you will need to apply for a new ne which is just a case of sending off $96 to the council.