Immigration Questions

Old Mar 28th 2010, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

vimes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration Questions

Hi to All

First time posting to any forum.

Few questions and any answers would be useful

My family & I are thinking that a move to NZ might be for us. We're planning a trip out later this year. My question refers to residency and sponsorship so here goes.
I'm a dual national having been born in Australia of UK parents so I have citizenship of Australia & UK (my kids also have this). I've grown up in the UK with a background in construction with the last 20yrs as a Civil Servant but we think it's time for a change. I understand that as an Australian citizen I should automatically get NZ residency but what about my wife? I read that she would have to be sponsored but that you can't sponsor someone until you have been in NZ for a while? So what would be the best way to get her residency? Seems a bit odd to me that if I had been granted residence in the usual way i.e. points then all my family would also be accepted. As it would appear I would get automatic residency would this not also apply to her as my spouse?

Anyway thanks in advance