Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Immigration to NZ easier until end of July

Immigration to NZ easier until end of July

Old May 25th 2007, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Lemmi1963 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration to NZ easier until end of July

Hi all

I guess you all know, when applying for a permanent visa for NZ, I mean when doing an expression of interest, you need a point score of 140, or at least need a job offer to get picked out of the pool and to have the chance to apply.

I just saw on the immigration web site, that since February and until July, the rules are easier:

If you have between 100 and 140 points and 15 or 10 of your points are from work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage, or if 10 points are from your qualification in an area of absulute skill shortage, you are picked out immediately of the pool and are invited to apply!!

Here is the source of this:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzis/...anual/8134.htm

Regards,
Thomas
Old Jun 18th 2007, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration to NZ easier until end of July

Originally Posted by Lemmi1963
Hi all

I guess you all know, when applying for a permanent visa for NZ, I mean when doing an expression of interest, you need a point score of 140, or at least need a job offer to get picked out of the pool and to have the chance to apply.

I just saw on the immigration web site, that since February and until July, the rules are easier:

If you have between 100 and 140 points and 15 or 10 of your points are from work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage, or if 10 points are from your qualification in an area of absulute skill shortage, you are picked out immediately of the pool and are invited to apply!!

Here is the source of this:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzis/...anual/8134.htm

Regards,
Thomas
You might get picked out, but to claim pts for work experience in an area of skills shortage, you must still match the criteria for that area.

Your qualifications must be under the absolute skill shortage to enable you to obtain these specific bonus points.

I have provided the policy for you to view. Also I have provided the link under the Long Term Skill Shortage (Absolute Skilled Shortage) to see the requirement for the occupation.

SM13.20 Work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage

See SM13.20 Effective 17/12/2003

a. Recognised work experience is assessed as being in an area of absolute skills shortage if:

i it was undertaken in an occupation included on the Long Term Skill Shortage List (refer Appendix 6); and
ii it meets the specifications for that occupation; and
iii the principal applicant* is suitably qualified by training and/or experience to undertake that work (including any specific requirements set out on the Long Term Skill Shortage List).

b. Where the Long Term Skill Shortage List specifies that occupational registration is required for a listed occupation, principal applicants must demonstrate that they held occupational registration while undertaking the work experience, if occupational registration is required in the country in which the work occurred.

SM 13.20.1 Evidence

Recognised work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage only qualifies for points if the principal applicant* provides evidence that satisfies a visa or immigration officer that their work experience meets the requirements of SM13.20 above.

Effective 04/04/2005

Long Term Skill Shortage (Absolute Skill) link
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...9D5/0/1093.pdf

Tracey M
Customer Service Officer
Department of Labour

Please note:if the summarised legal provisions in the answer above conflict with the interpretation of the legislation itself, then the interpretation of the legislation is decisive.