British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Immigration Changes Effective Today (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/immigration-changes-effective-today-610965/)

Green Fruit May 24th 2009 2:28 pm

Immigration Changes Effective Today

Will the changes, particularly those related to recognised trade qualifications, help any of you guys out there?

BEVS May 25th 2009 12:09 am

Re: Immigration Changes Effective Today

Dunno but my fingers are crossed.

What I am hoping to see is that NZIS have updated the UK trade quals list to reflect the modern day UK trade qualifications C&G/NVQ levels as well as the previous older C&G certs.

News here

P2L May 25th 2009 4:55 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 7600635)
Dunno but my fingers are crossed.

What I am hoping to see is that NZIS have updated the UK trade quals list to reflect the modern day UK trade qualifications C&G/NVQ levels as well as the previous older C&G certs.

News here

had a quick flick through and it looks like NVQ/SVQ & C&G Level 3 and above gets you 50 points

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/18392.htm

Seems like they have finally recognised those trade quals too

BEVS May 25th 2009 6:31 am

OMG :eek:
I looked earlier today and there was no change and now there is. :thumbsup:

About blummin' time too. Thank goodness for that. None too soon. I am so pleased.

It seems to be pretty comprehensive too, not just a patch job .

Can you tell this has made my day, saddo that I am. :lol:

Brilliant !

Well done NZIS.

Green Fruit May 25th 2009 3:34 pm

Given the dire shortage of migrants with trades, hopefully this will lead to an increase in plumbers and the like. Best of luck to all of you who can take advantage of the changes. One thing though, is this just a reduction of red tape, i.e. the changes simply mean that you no longer have to bother to pay to have your qualifications assessed? Or will it make more of a genuine difference for tradesman?

BEVS May 25th 2009 10:33 pm

It's playing with words .
The update for the trade quals is most welcome . Many of the traditional trades did not require assessment provided they had the older type of C&G with certificate 2 being in the traditional 3 parts. Now they have updated the UK trade quals , this will help in so much as the newer trade quals will no longer need an NZQA assessment provided they match the requirement.

Although many of the trades are on the long term shortage list, migrants need to be realisitic at this present time about the possibilities of getting a trade job in this present economic climate. Work is thin on the ground.

Natalie1303 May 26th 2009 8:39 am

Hello all,

Well we submitted our ITA just over a week ago and our case officer has deducted 50 points from our EOI due to them not recognising my husbands NVQ LEvel 2 & 3 in stonemasonry - she's now saying we've not got enough points even though we've got a job offer and his NVQ is from City & Guilds :frown:
I wonder if there's any way we can change her mind due to this new criteria??!!

Green Fruit May 26th 2009 1:11 pm

According to Immigration New Zealand, all EOI's still in the pool after the 25th of May, are assessed against the new criteria. Sorry if you already know that, hope that helps.

Natalie1303 May 26th 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks Greenfruit. We submitted our EOI in December and it was accepted! We then received our ITA and a new case officer (as our original one who approved the EOI is on annual leave) We submitted our ITA last week but the new case officer is saying that she wont accept the qualification and therefore we only have 90 points which isn't enough to get through!!! ARGHHH!!
I've emailed her this morning so am just keeping everything crossed that she'll accept the NVQ, my husband's employer in NZ is hoping that he will be in NZ and start work at the end of June!!

Green Fruit May 26th 2009 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Natalie1303 (Post 7605500)
I've emailed her this morning so am just keeping everything crossed that she'll accept the NVQ, my husband's employer in NZ is hoping that he will be in NZ and start work at the end of June!!

I hope the new regulations make a bit of a difference. Good luck!

BEVS May 26th 2009 10:29 pm

Hhmm. The one trouble I can see with the new wording is the use of the word 'apprenticeship'.

In NZ they still strongly adhere to the 4 yr on the tools apprenticeship method. much of this is distance learning with block coursework.

As we know, NVQs and the modern C&Gs work in a different way. not all tradesmen reaching the craftsman standard of NVQ3 /C&G level 3 and above have gone through a formal , employee based apprenticeship.

Stonemason - ANZSCO ref number 33112

Requirement is for NZIS register level 4.

According to the new wording an NVQ 3 awared by C&G should be perfectly fine..... however... I do wonder about the wording which includes the use of apprenticeship. I can see this causing confusion with NZIS offiers who may not understand the differing methods of training in the UK.

Natalie 1303.

I would , ever so nicely, point out to the NZIS officer that the NVQ3 from C&G is acceptable per the trade qualifications listings for the UK.

I don't know what training your hubby has had. I do know that stone masonary is a highly skilled occupation that takes years to master.

If he/she will not accept ask for it to be referred to a supervisor but then meanwhile perhaps consider an NZQA assessment to cover yourselves.

Just a suggestion.

Natalie1303 May 27th 2009 9:13 am

Thanks Bevs. He served his apprenticeship with the same company and was with them for 6 years (during this time he completed his NVQ level 2 & 3) so I am REALLY hoping that she will accept it = still no reply from her as yet - I'm like a mad woman checking hotmail every half hour!!!
Anyway, fingers still crossed :fingerscrossed: I'll let you know how we get on,

Thanks again, Natalie

BEVS May 27th 2009 11:33 am

Mate. Looking at the new rules , why should she not ? :fingerscrossed:

Natalie1303 May 27th 2009 1:39 pm

Arghhh!! This is her reply:

'The change in policy with regards to qualifications only applies to applications received after 24 May 2009. Any EOI that has been assessed before this date, and any application received before this date, are assessed against the policy at that time.

Unfortunately, we are therefore not able to award any points for your qualification as it did not appear on the List of Recognised Qualifications, which was applicable at the time your application was lodged'

Stress is an understatement!!

She has also knocked 15 points off for work experience as the evidence we provided is not enough - with more evidence we can get these points added on and then our application will have 105 points - the only thing with this is that it will take time - need to get more references etc. Time is about the only thing we havent got - my husband's employer wants him to start at the end of June and we're expecting our first baby in August so if our visa doesnt get approved soon we wont be able to go :thumbdown:

Feel very sad :thumbdown:

Green Fruit May 27th 2009 2:00 pm

I know the cost and time implications are huge, and you must be pulling your hair out. However, if you are really desperate, are your police checks and medicals still valid in terms of the time frame? I know it sounds ridiculous, but what about if you scrapped your current application, and submitted a new EOI for next Wednesday and asked NZIS to fast-track it? I know you must be loosing the will to carry on, but if you submitted a new EOI then at least they'd have to consider it under the new regulations.