British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Immigration advice wanted...and hello (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/immigration-advice-wanted-hello-527476/)

tigerjock Apr 7th 2008 11:59 am

Immigration advice wanted...and hello

Hi all,

New to the site so first of all hello from me.

Family and myself want to live and work in NZ, i'm doing my bit via the net regarding contacting potential employers and so far i've got 3 positive leads with 1 going to the interview stage.

Now being a canny scotsman i don't want to start spending ££££ before i secure an offer of employment.....so where do i start if an offer comes my way ?

We have only briefly looked at the forms, checks etc but like i said above we want to secure at least a position for myself before we make the leap, i've got my house on the market already as well.

Thanks

BEVS Apr 7th 2008 12:08 pm

Re: Immigration advice wanted...and hello

If an offer comes your way you break open the :beer:

I take it you have already done the POINTS INDICATOR so know roughly where you stand on that score.

If you have an offer of employment you have two ways to go.

1] You take up a temporary work permit and visa to allow you to start your job here in NZ. From there, if the occupation is wanted and the quals match the job , then you would apply for Permanent Residency.

2] You let your prospective NZ employer know that you may be a few months in arriving and then bang in an on-line expression of interest, hoping to be picked from the pool quickly and to have an Invitation to Apply for Residency pronto.

tigerjock Apr 7th 2008 12:36 pm

I'm hoping it will be a job offer with sponsorship with a work to residency visa tied in......as far as i know that would bypass the points system to an extent ???? is that correct

BEVS Apr 8th 2008 12:54 am

Ah ! Work to Residence.

You would gain a job offer from an employer on the NZIS acredited list. Make sure your offer is for $50K pa for a 40hr week. You would then apply for a WTR visa & permit .Then after 2 years you would be eligible to apply for Residency.

tigerjock Apr 8th 2008 8:09 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6175760)
Ah ! Work to Residence.

You would gain a job offer from an employer on the NZIS acredited list. Make sure your offer is for $50K pa for a 40hr week. You would then apply for a WTR visa & permit .Then after 2 years you would be eligible to apply for Residency.

Thats the one, as long as you pass the medical and police check then its away you go

tigerjock Apr 8th 2008 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by tigerjock (Post 6176695)
Thats the one, as long as you pass the medical and police check then its away you go

So what else would i need to do, EOI ?

tigerjock Apr 8th 2008 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by tigerjock (Post 6177740)
So what else would i need to do, EOI ?

Slightly off topic, my wife is an NVQ L3 childcare and education qualified childminder who is self employed, would her UK qualification be recognised in NZ and would she be able to enter the industry.....thanks for the replies...helps tick a few more boxes

George2008 Apr 11th 2008 7:11 am

Once you get your job offer you should apply for a work visa - after that you may want to consider your chances for applying for PR.

Simon