British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Immigration Advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/immigration-advice-797118/)

Cazorla May 15th 2013 2:29 pm

Immigration Advice

Hey guys,

First time poster but have been reading a lot of the threads. I will tell you my story and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Single and looking to make the move ASAP from the UK to NZ. Missed the WHV by 3 months, my own stupid fault, but scored 115 on the skilled visa points process and my profession is on the shortage and demand list.

A few questions which I would be over the moon if you guys could give me some advice with:

1. Would I be quicker processing it here or in NZ? I want to get out of this place!

2. Is an agent going to make things easier and is it really going to help?

3. I was considering going in on a tourist and trying to get sponsorship, long shot?

I have made a load of contacts via Linked In and have been told I would get work easy. The only issue is the visa.

Thanks all and hope everyone has a good day.

Persephone May 15th 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Immigration Advice

Originally Posted by Cazorla (Post 10709163)
Hey guys,

First time poster but have been reading a lot of the threads. I will tell you my story and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hello and welcome!

Single and looking to make the move ASAP from the UK to NZ. Missed the WHV by 3 months, my own stupid fault, but scored 115 on the skilled visa points process and my profession is on the shortage and demand list.
Which of the shortage lists is it on? Unfortunately 115 points is unlikely to be selected without a job offer in place at this point in time. Have a look at the History of Selection Points to get an idea of what is being selected at the moment

A few questions which I would be over the moon if you guys could give me some advice with:

1. Would I be quicker processing it here or in NZ? I want to get out of this place!
It varies, your points total means you would probably need a job offer first anyway.

2. Is an agent going to make things easier and is it really going to help?
Unlikely to help much and they cost a LOT of money. NZIS does not give priority to those applications that involve an agent. If you can fill in a form and understand the process involved then they're not worth the cost IMO. Some people prefer to use one for peace of mind or because there is something that could prove difficult in their history

3. I was considering going in on a tourist and trying to get sponsorship, long shot?
What do you mean by sponsorship? If an employer offers you a job then it is up to you to arrange the visa and do everything, not them. The other possible visas [work/WTR] require a job offer first before you can apply and certain conditions apply to each of these.
Also NZ immigration frown on people coming over as visitors with the sole purpose of getting a job and staying...

I have made a load of contacts via Linked In and have been told I would get work easy. The only issue is the visa.
From what you've written you need a job offer before you can get a visa. NZ employers don't necessarily know about the visa process so you may have to educate them. Have you tried applying for jobs from the UK? Best option all round is to come over with a job offer and visa already in place if you can. You can get a work visa to get you started quickly if a SMC application will take too long.
Thanks all and hope everyone has a good day.

Hope this helps a little. Why do you want to come to NZ? Have you been before?
P:)

Cazorla May 15th 2013 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 10709514)
Hope this helps a little. Why do you want to come to NZ? Have you been before?
P:)

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

My field is Network Enginner and also have a BEng in Computer Systems and Cisco qualified. On the shortage and skills in demand list, but 115 without job offer is no good? Damn!

By sponsorship I meant a job offer, sorry about the language that is what we call it from this end. My alternative way of thinking was to come over as a tourist to meet with prospective employers and inform them that I needed the offer before in order to secure the visa.

I was not sure they would entertain an applicant from outside NZ having not seen them.

Why do I want to move there? UK is beyond repair, I am single with no commitments, I have been before and like the place, my field of employment seems to be fairly in demand, better quality of life.

Thanks!

Catchafire May 15th 2013 8:20 pm

If you missed the cut off for a WHV, you can still apply for a BUNAC WHV

http://www.bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/...-zealand/visas

MrsFychan May 15th 2013 8:22 pm

If you can afford to come over on a visitors visa then I would say try it. best places for IT is Auckland or Wellington. You get extra points for not going to Auckland.
Thing is it is "illegal" to come over on a visitors visa and actively look for work so you need to be aware if they think thats what you are here for you may get deported. depends on the customs person on the line at the time if you are stopped and asked questions, you will need to have a return ticket or at least an outward bound ticket.

If you do get a job offer, some may want you to start straight away, you can obtain a 12mth temp work visa whilst you upgrade the EOI and a get the ITA sorted, but again thats more cost. Hope you have deep pockets

Cazorla May 15th 2013 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10709710)
If you can afford to come over on a visitors visa then I would say try it. best places for IT is Auckland or Wellington. You get extra points for not going to Auckland.
Thing is it is "illegal" to come over on a visitors visa and actively look for work so you need to be aware if they think thats what you are here for you may get deported. depends on the customs person on the line at the time if you are stopped and asked questions, you will need to have a return ticket or at least an outward bound ticket.

If you do get a job offer, some may want you to start straight away, you can obtain a 12mth temp work visa whilst you upgrade the EOI and a get the ITA sorted, but again thats more cost. Hope you have deep pockets

Thanks for the advice.

So would you say it would make sense to register the EOI before I come in on the tourist visa? I obviously won't say to the immigration geezer I am looking for work and will have a return ticket in place.

Cazorla May 15th 2013 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 10709707)
If you missed the cut off for a WHV, you can still apply for a BUNAC WHV

http://www.bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/...-zealand/visas

All out for this year. Called them today and they said to keep checking for next years visa allocation.

MrsFychan May 15th 2013 11:31 pm

I'm not sure what the BUNAC WHV covers that Catchafire highlights so could be worth a look at and see if that suits you.

as for submitting your EOI before you have a job offer is down to you, it only lasts 6mths in the pool and if you do not succeed in obtaining a job offer within that time frame you will lose your money and would have to submit again and pay again.
Not submitting it means once you have a job offer you would have to create and wait for the next drawer which is every two weeks, which would seem like the most sensible thing to do.
I do know of someone who gained visa without a job offer, moved over and is nearing 2yrs being here and has yet to gain a job offer, Telecomunnication field of IT. It may be on the shortage lists but it does not mean that companies are falling over themselves to offer jobs I'm afraid.

Catchafire May 16th 2013 4:51 am

Bunac - British Universities North America Club

Bunac was originally started to allow students to work in North America (and vice versa) as a type of working holiday exchange program. It has since expanded its reach to include "young people" regardless if they have been to uni or not.

IEP Work Exchange Visa - This visa is exclusive to BUNAC and allows anyone with a British or Irish passport, between 18 and 35 years old to work in New Zealand for up to 12 months. You can apply to this visa even if you’ve previously had the standard Working Holiday Visa. There are a limited number of visas available. BUNAC will allocate them on a first-come first-served basis.

Cazorla May 16th 2013 7:42 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10709930)
I'm not sure what the BUNAC WHV covers that Catchafire highlights so could be worth a look at and see if that suits you.

as for submitting your EOI before you have a job offer is down to you, it only lasts 6mths in the pool and if you do not succeed in obtaining a job offer within that time frame you will lose your money and would have to submit again and pay again.
Not submitting it means once you have a job offer you would have to create and wait for the next drawer which is every two weeks, which would seem like the most sensible thing to do.
I do know of someone who gained visa without a job offer, moved over and is nearing 2yrs being here and has yet to gain a job offer, Telecomunnication field of IT. It may be on the shortage lists but it does not mean that companies are falling over themselves to offer jobs I'm afraid.

I think that applies to every field though.

Some of it comes down to how much you want it and come across in interviews.

Persephone May 16th 2013 5:45 pm

If it was me I would not submit an EOI until a job offer was in place. You're very unlikely to be selected without a job offer but once you have one then you will be selected straight away [at most it would be a fortnight until the next draw].

Depending on when the employer wants you to start you may have to get a work visa to tide you over anyway. If they are willing to wait for a SMC application to go through then a fortnight is unlikely to make a difference.
If you don't get a job within 6months then you lose the application fee.
Your choice!!:)

Cazorla May 16th 2013 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 10711357)
If it was me I would not submit an EOI until a job offer was in place. You're very unlikely to be selected without a job offer but once you have one then you will be selected straight away [at most it would be a fortnight until the next draw].

Depending on when the employer wants you to start you may have to get a work visa to tide you over anyway. If they are willing to wait for a SMC application to go through then a fortnight is unlikely to make a difference.
If you don't get a job within 6months then you lose the application fee.
Your choice!!:)

Thanks for the post. Yes, this definitely makes sense.

I've had a chat with a few recruiters and they are already pumping my CV out the blocks so hopefully I catch a fish which would give me a head start before I arrive.

MrsFychan May 16th 2013 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Cazorla (Post 10711485)
Thanks for the post. Yes, this definitely makes sense.

I've had a chat with a few recruiters and they are already pumping my CV out the blocks so hopefully I catch a fish which would give me a head start before I arrive.

Be careful, hubby was being told his CV was being put forward to only find out that in fact that was a lie. He was informed, when trying to contact the agent who had then left the company, that if the agent hadn't asked his permission to put the CV forward to a named company then it hadn't happened. Not sure how wide spread that practice is but with this one company they have to inform the candidate of the company name and background and ask permission, something to do with possibly the candidate not wanting to work with certain firms so to save time and money the candidate has to be asked if they would be willing to work for the company.