British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Immigrating to nz with civil partner advice please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/immigrating-nz-civil-partner-advice-please-813852/)

Katy87 Nov 1st 2013 3:03 am

Immigrating to nz with civil partner advice please

Hi I really need some advice I'm quite confused on the criterial for partners moving to nz.
I live in the uk now to bring my spouse her i would have to earn a lot of money which is impossible.
The situation we are in now is I met my partner this year in her last year as a student she is Chinese and we gr a civil partnership in September. I also have a son who's father has no rights. Her visa ran out in end of September she had to go back to china. We had only lived together a month before she left. She can't get back into the uk. She lives with patents now in china and is working.
I can get a nz passport and will apply for citizenship by descent then a passport in January.
How could me, my partner and son move to nz together? We would save money and rent a home on arrival then look for work . Thanks if anyone has advice. We are not just moving to nz because of immigration problem it's a great country. My father lives in the uk has done for 50 years we have no ties in nz.

Catchafire Nov 1st 2013 5:20 am

Re: Immigrating to nz with civil partner advice please

Hi Katy

I see you have posted the same question a couple of times on another forum. You are not really going to get any different answers here.

Just to reiterate

1 Get a NZ passport
2 Get legal permission from your sons father, to take your son out of country. Once you arrive you can apply for residency for him as a dependent child.
3 Once in NZ apply for a partnership visa for your partner. She will probably have to come over on visitors visa first, before you can establish proof of partnership.

MrsFychan Nov 1st 2013 5:23 am

and Catchafire says nothing has changed since the last time you asked this a couple of months ago.

as you have no ties here and your father is still in the UK I really do think that you would be better keep looking at Europe as it would be cheaper, you say you have no money, and it would be easier to keep in contact with him

BEVS Nov 1st 2013 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 10972038)
Hi Katy

1 Get a NZ passport
2 Get legal permission from your sons father, to take your son out of country. Once you arrive you can apply for residency for him as a dependent child.
3 Once in NZ apply for a partnership visa for your partner. She will probably have to come over on visitors visa first, before you can establish proof of partnership.

Ace answer. Catcha.

Yes. As above.
One step at a time and you'll get there as long as the relationship lasts.

Katy87 Nov 1st 2013 6:58 am

So if we wanted to go at the same time would she need to get a visitors visa? Can she do that if I'm not in the country? Then what would she do when that runs out? Is there any requirements we have to meet for her coming?

Catchafire Nov 1st 2013 9:01 am

So if we wanted to go at the same time would she need to get a visitors visa?
- yes

Can she do that if I'm not in the country?
- yes

Then what would she do when that runs out?
- Get an extension, change her visa or leave (before her visa runs out).

Is there any requirements we have to meet for her coming?
Not for you, but for her see here - http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd.../0/INZ1017.pdf

Katy87 Nov 1st 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks she thought there would be a finical requirement it's quite confusing for me

Katy87 Nov 1st 2013 1:50 pm

I read some of the link and it does say she needs money to support herself how much do you think she needs to save?

Katy87 Nov 1st 2013 1:54 pm

I just sent the form for my partner to look at the might understand it more. It says a temporary visa but she wants to stay with me permanent if we can move. How many months woul she put on it?

Katy87 Nov 1st 2013 2:15 pm

My partner just looked at the form it said she needs to provide proof of returning/leaving but she wouldn't plan to return

Persephone Nov 1st 2013 2:55 pm

If applying for a visitor visa then she would have to show proof of return eg ticket out of NZ. You tend not to even get on the plane to NZ unless you have this. The airline checks it. This applies to all those entering as visitors.

The amounts of money required are all in here: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rs/default.htm

Obviously the difference between your last posts and now is that you are no longer planning on living together in London for 2-3 years before moving to NZ.

You may have to apply for a temporary partnership work visa rather than residency at first as you will not have fulfilled the residency requirements
P:)

Katy87 Nov 1st 2013 4:05 pm

Hi we decided we should stay in another country for twelve months together. Do you know what visa she would apply for then we want to go together thanks

Persephone Nov 1st 2013 4:40 pm

There are only two ways she can get a visa for NZ via partnership with a NZ citizen:

1. Residency-this is permanent but you must have lived together for at least 12mth for this to be an option. This can be anywhere in the world but you must be able to prove it.

2. Temporary Work Visa- here: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm
You would have to prove a genuine and stable relationship and be living together though it does not have to have been for 12mth. Once you have lived together for 12mth she then applies for residency via partnership.
This is the visa she'd probably have to go for if she came over on a visitor visa as you would not have lived together long enough. Obviously you would need proof of the relationship before this.

Only other way is if you moved to NZ and she was able to apply for a work visa or as a skilled migrant in her own right rather than via partnership.

Katy87 Nov 1st 2013 4:45 pm

Hi we talked about and decided option 1 is better living in the uk for twelve months and saving like we had planned. It just makes more sense I think. How would we go about it from the uk? Thanks

Persephone Nov 1st 2013 4:53 pm

If you've lived together for 12mth then she would apply for residency via partnership via the London branch.
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...er/default.htm
That page has links to the forms and what you need to do.

I thought she couldn't move to the UK for financial reasons:unsure: