Immigrating to NZ

Old Apr 24th 2017, 7:06 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 11
accablues is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigrating to NZ

Hello to everyone on this forum and beyond ...

first the history/background: I am a British national (BN) currently living and working in GCC with three kids (2C + 1I) all BN. My wife is a Pakistani national. I moved out of UK approx 6 years back and have been thinking moving back to UK over the past few months. But when I see the cost of living and other issues with getting spouse visa for my wife - it's kind of put me off. So, I thought of immigrating to some other country and after reading about NZ , it came on top of my list

now the question/s:
1. How difficult is it to get visa for the BN and also for my wife? and which route should I be applying?

2. I am a FCCA with over 15 years of accounts experience , how likely is it to get job easily in NZ (AK)?

3. If I want to start a franchise bznz , do I qualify for the investor route (given I don't have any business experience)?

4. The max funds I can arrange by selling my house and through my father as gift will be around NZ 300,000

5. the franchise is kind of "Nandos" type bznz

6. If I do get investor visa, to begin with, will I be allowed to work on job , so I don't have to worry about bread and butter for the initial months till I get the business up and running

I know, I have many confusing questions and probably more will follow - just not sure what to do - any help/advise will be much and highly appreciated

thanks in advance
accablues is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2017, 6:21 am
  #2  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 11
accablues is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigrating to NZ

anyone please or some direction or even a referral to a lawyer/solicitor

thanks
accablues is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2017, 6:40 am
  #3  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,070
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating to NZ

Patience is a virtue.

It is currently school holidays so the last chance for families to holiday before the winter sets in.

This is also a long weekend. Many were told no work Monday as Anzac Day, which is an important commemorative day falls today, Tuesday, so a day to reflect .
BEVS is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2017, 8:16 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
escapedtonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 1,337
escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating to NZ

Originally Posted by accablues View Post
Hello to everyone on this forum and beyond ...

first the history/background: I am a British national (BN) currently living and working in GCC with three kids (2C + 1I) all BN. My wife is a Pakistani national. I moved out of UK approx 6 years back and have been thinking moving back to UK over the past few months. But when I see the cost of living and other issues with getting spouse visa for my wife - it's kind of put me off. So, I thought of immigrating to some other country and after reading about NZ , it came on top of my list

now the question/s:
1. How difficult is it to get visa for the BN and also for my wife? and which route should I be applying?

2. I am a FCCA with over 15 years of accounts experience , how likely is it to get job easily in NZ (AK)?

3. If I want to start a franchise bznz , do I qualify for the investor route (given I don't have any business experience)?

4. The max funds I can arrange by selling my house and through my father as gift will be around NZ 300,000

5. the franchise is kind of "Nandos" type bznz

6. If I do get investor visa, to begin with, will I be allowed to work on job , so I don't have to worry about bread and butter for the initial months till I get the business up and running

I know, I have many confusing questions and probably more will follow - just not sure what to do - any help/advise will be much and highly appreciated

thanks in advance
Hi and welcome,

So, you are a BN which means you aren't in fact a British Citizen and as such don't hold a british passport ?
For migration to NZ you will need to state the country where you are a citizen of and use an appropriate passport from that country. NZ Immigration don't discriminate from one ethnicity to the next. They are all about bringing the right skill set in to the country that helps the country grow and prosper.

1. Just as difficult as everyone else although if you meet all the criteria it's just a big paper exercise, police checks, medicals, all other evidence, part with some cash, a bit of a waiting game and then all should be good to go......maybe!
Your options are......
Temporary work visa (e.g. Essential Skills, Talent/Accredited Employer or Work To residence), but you'll need a written skilled job offer in NZ for this. If you satisfy this your family can apply for visas based on your temporary work visa via the family stream....Just a word of caution though. The government have proposed changes that may affect many people coming in to the country via this route and they are proposing to apply those changes in August 2017. If you got a temporary work visa via this route after the changes your family may not be able to join you.
Permanent visa (Resident Visa via Skilled Migrant Category), but you'll need to score at least 160 points to be selected for this. All family members can go on the one application. Once again, the government has also proposed rules changes to this visa type that may come in to effect August 2017. These changes will affect the points calculation.
Entrepreneur / Investor Visa. For this you need a lot of money to invest and be an experienced business manager with a sound business plan etc etc. Not an easy route to take.
You can read up on all these visas on the INZ website at www.immigration.govt.nz

2. Difficult from overseas but not impossible. Just depends how desperate employers are for your skills.
Not wise to restrict yourself to one place - i.e. just AK. Work wise, NZ is a small place so if you want to migrate here you should be open to any place that has a job in your line of work as you can always move around later if the place isn't to your liking.

3. Unsure. You would have to research.

4. Minimum investment for the temporary Entrepreneur visa is NZ$100k so you could maybe go this route but this is only an initial 12 month visa (stage 1) and if you then satisfy the criteria you can get the additional 24 months (stage 2). You need to research if a Nando's type business is acceptable.

5. Wasn't a question.

6. I expect so. If Immigration approve a visa for you to start a business then it goes hand in hand that you'll be in there getting your hands dirty. Even if you put your feet up in an office and delegate, you are still working.

Check out the Immigration website and if you've any more questions then come back to the thread.
escapedtonz is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2017, 9:57 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 11
accablues is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Immigrating to NZ

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Patience is a virtue.

It is currently school holidays so the last chance for families to holiday before the winter sets in.

This is also a long weekend. Many were told no work Monday as Anzac Day, which is an important commemorative day falls today, Tuesday, so a day to reflect .
thanks - wasn't aware of the public holiday ..
accablues is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2017, 10:08 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 11
accablues is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigrating to NZ

Originally Posted by escapedtonz View Post
Hi and welcome,

So, you are a BN which means you aren't in fact a British Citizen and as such don't hold a british passport ?
For migration to NZ you will need to state the country where you are a citizen of and use an appropriate passport from that country. NZ Immigration don't discriminate from one ethnicity to the next. They are all about bringing the right skill set in to the country that helps the country grow and prosper.

1. Just as difficult as everyone else although if you meet all the criteria it's just a big paper exercise, police checks, medicals, all other evidence, part with some cash, a bit of a waiting game and then all should be good to go......maybe!
Your options are......
Temporary work visa (e.g. Essential Skills, Talent/Accredited Employer or Work To residence), but you'll need a written skilled job offer in NZ for this. If you satisfy this your family can apply for visas based on your temporary work visa via the family stream....Just a word of caution though. The government have proposed changes that may affect many people coming in to the country via this route and they are proposing to apply those changes in August 2017. If you got a temporary work visa via this route after the changes your family may not be able to join you.
Permanent visa (Resident Visa via Skilled Migrant Category), but you'll need to score at least 160 points to be selected for this. All family members can go on the one application. Once again, the government has also proposed rules changes to this visa type that may come in to effect August 2017. These changes will affect the points calculation.
Entrepreneur / Investor Visa. For this you need a lot of money to invest and be an experienced business manager with a sound business plan etc etc. Not an easy route to take.
You can read up on all these visas on the INZ website at www.immigration.govt.nz

2. Difficult from overseas but not impossible. Just depends how desperate employers are for your skills.
Not wise to restrict yourself to one place - i.e. just AK. Work wise, NZ is a small place so if you want to migrate here you should be open to any place that has a job in your line of work as you can always move around later if the place isn't to your liking.

3. Unsure. You would have to research.

4. Minimum investment for the temporary Entrepreneur visa is NZ$100k so you could maybe go this route but this is only an initial 12 month visa (stage 1) and if you then satisfy the criteria you can get the additional 24 months (stage 2). You need to research if a Nando's type business is acceptable.

5. Wasn't a question.

6. I expect so. If Immigration approve a visa for you to start a business then it goes hand in hand that you'll be in there getting your hands dirty. Even if you put your feet up in an office and delegate, you are still working.

Check out the Immigration website and if you've any more questions then come back to the thread.

apologies, my message was misleading

I do hold a British passport and so do my kids but not the wife , I prefer to get in to business rather then any job... will check out the investor route in details but problem is I don't have business experience, only started a recruitment agency in uk, which lasted for a year and I had to shut it down because of 2007 economic crises and had to return back to job. Not sure if this will count and how I'll be able to justify

but thanks for your message will do more research
accablues is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2017, 10:49 am
  #7  
MODERATOR
 
MrsFychan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
Posts: 8,864
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating to NZ

Originally Posted by accablues View Post
I prefer to get in to business rather then any job...
sorry don't think that will happen, https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/mo...repreneur-visa as you see you have to show previous business experience and as already said you need to have a business plan in place and lots of other hurdles to jump through.
It is also a temp visa and only gives you up to 3 years, if the first year meets the criteria and I believe you also have to employ a certain amount of NZ Citizens to met some of the criteria.

Your best bet would be to get a job offer from an accredited company in the accountancy field, get your residency and then look to buy a business.
MrsFychan is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2017, 11:04 am
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 11
accablues is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigrating to NZ

Originally Posted by MrsFychan View Post
sorry don't think that will happen, https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/mo...repreneur-visa as you see you have to show previous business experience and as already said you need to have a business plan in place and lots of other hurdles to jump through.
It is also a temp visa and only gives you up to 3 years, if the first year meets the criteria and I believe you also have to employ a certain amount of NZ Citizens to met some of the criteria.

Your best bet would be to get a job offer from an accredited company in the accountancy field, get your residency and then look to buy a business.

yes , you right it will prove to be very difficult though with a resturant type business , I could have easily created job opportunities for 3-4 NZ or more. I am good with funds and can invest up to 400k but prob I am facing is with the experience.
as for job, i checked points - I only score a max of 85 unless I find a job or get a job offer ....... what a bummer

will do more research

thanks for your input
accablues is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2017, 7:59 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 11
accablues is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigrating to NZ

Just a thought.... Since i am able to go there on visit visa - question is, If I go there initially on visit for couple of months set a fast food bznz or a restaurant or something operational...
1) Will that benefit me and I be able to transfer visa to bznz while in NZ 2) and call my family and what will be the waiting time before i can apply ?

I have sincere intentions of living in NZ without breaking any law. Please don't take these options in wrong way

Thanks
accablues is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2017, 8:15 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
escapedtonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 1,337
escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating to NZ

Originally Posted by accablues View Post
Just a thought.... Since i am able to go there on visit visa - question is, If I go there initially on visit for couple of months set a fast food bznz or a restaurant or something operational...
1) Will that benefit me and I be able to transfer visa to bznz while in NZ 2) and call my family and what will be the waiting time before i can apply ?

I have sincere intentions of living in NZ without breaking any law. Please don't take these options in wrong way

Thanks
No.
It will be a breach of visa conditions.
You cannot work on a visit visa and work takes many forms. Setting up a business will definitely be considered as working and as such you risk deportation and a lengthy ban for breaching visa conditions.
To work in ANY work, whether it is paid, unpaid, voluntary or even in return for accommodation or food or even just for a beer helping a family member or friend you must have a visa that allows you to work.
escapedtonz is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2017, 10:30 pm
  #11  
MODERATOR
 
MrsFychan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
Posts: 8,864
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating to NZ

as I previous stated your best bet is to go the accountancy route then once here and established look for alternatives
MrsFychan is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2017, 7:50 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 11
accablues is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigrating to NZ

Originally Posted by escapedtonz View Post
No.
It will be a breach of visa conditions.
You cannot work on a visit visa and work takes many forms. Setting up a business will definitely be considered as working and as such you risk deportation and a lengthy ban for breaching visa conditions.
To work in ANY work, whether it is paid, unpaid, voluntary or even in return for accommodation or food or even just for a beer helping a family member or friend you must have a visa that allows you to work.
Thanks for your message...
accablues is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2017, 7:53 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 11
accablues is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigrating to NZ

Originally Posted by MrsFychan View Post
as I previous stated your best bet is to go the accountancy route then once here and established look for alternatives
Thanks again for your advice 😊....
I have a question,I read somewhere that if someone come on visit and find job the visit visa can easily be transferred to work visa.... Is that correct ? Can this be an option for me. Thanks for your help
accablues is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:54 pm
  #14  
MODERATOR
 
MrsFychan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
Posts: 8,864
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating to NZ

Originally Posted by accablues View Post
Thanks again for your advice 😊....
I have a question,I read somewhere that if someone come on visit and find job the visit visa can easily be transferred to work visa.... Is that correct ? Can this be an option for me. Thanks for your help
Yes this is correct but I would not advertise the fact to immigration at the Airports. Not going to say it is easy as there is always criteria to meet, boots on ground is always good.
MrsFychan is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.