Im very confused! HGV help

Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

NIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the roughNIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the roughNIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the roughNIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the roughNIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the rough
Default Im very confused! HGV help

Hi all

This is my first time here so be gentle!

My partner has a class 1 here in UK and i see that driving id on the Immediate shortage list..... but we are unsure which catagory we can apply under?

Any help is appreciated
Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:03 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Im very confused! HGV help

Originally Posted by NIKKI SNELL
Hi all

This is my first time here so be gentle!

My partner has a class 1 here in UK and i see that driving is on the Immediate shortage list..... but we are unsure which category we can apply under?

Any help is appreciated
Sorry to say but at this time it would be unlikely that you would qualify for permanent residence (PR) if you applied as a truckie. Yes, HGV drivers are on the immediate skills shortage list (ISSL), but that doesn't appear to be a clear path to PR. Work-to-residency would require a NZD$50K/annum salary offer for a 40 hour week and truckies aren't really getting this.

What do you do? Do you have any skills that may help?

However, not all is lost. You can come here and work on a temporary work permit which can be valid for up to three years. The permits can be renewed. If you have children they will be able to go to primary and secondary school with no international fees due. If your husband is the sponsored employee you would get an open work permit allowing you to work at whatever for whomever.

If you have any further questions, fire away. There are lots of friendly folk here who would be willing to help out.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

NIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the roughNIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the roughNIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the roughNIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the roughNIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Im very confused! HGV help

That is very heklpful! thank you

I work in a bank, so im not classed as 'skilled'

I do have my brother and mother who are already resident in NZ, so that is an option but the family applications tend to take a long time.

I think the best avenue, as you say is the temporary visa.

We are hoping to go out there the end of the summer, so we need to get in gear!

thnaks again