British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   If you wish to use your UK ( overseas) passport after becoming an NZ citizen. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/if-you-wish-use-your-uk-overseas-passport-after-becoming-nz-citizen-812948/)

BEVS Oct 22nd 2013 10:53 pm

If you wish to use your UK ( overseas) passport after becoming an NZ citizen.

Please note.

I am a New Zealand citizen now, but have a residence visa in my old foreign passport. Can I transfer this to my new foreign passport?

A residence visa (including permanent residence visas), cannot be transferred into a foreign passport, if you have since obtained NZ citizenship (by grant or descent) or have been issued with an evidentiary certificate of citizenship. This is because a New Zealand citizen is not able to hold a visa under the Immigration Act 2009.
In order to use your foreign passport for travel, and still be allowed to return to New Zealand as a citizen, you should apply for NZ Citizen Endorsement and not a transfer of visa.
from HERE

kodachrome Oct 26th 2013 8:33 pm

Re: If you wish to use your UK ( overseas) passport after becoming an NZ citizen.

Is the body text the correct block of text for your subject line, seems to be different things? Why would you want to transfer a [Work/Visitor/Temp] Visa over to a NZ Passport anyway? It serves no purpose as you wouldnt need a visa as a Citizen (and as noted, cannot have one anyway).

Surely this is more relevant (emphasis mine)

NZ Citizen travelling on a foreign passport
As a NZ Citizen, you may have dual (or more) citizenships and hold valid passports for more than one country.

You can travel on any valid passport, however to re-enter NZ as a citizen of NZ, you must either
  • show a valid NZ passport at the border, or
  • have a valid Returning Residents Visa in your other passport (issued prior to 29 November 2010); or
  • have an Endorsement indicating NZ Citizenship in your foreign passport (for information on how to apply for this, please click on the Endorsement link above)

http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1171

Persephone Oct 27th 2013 8:56 pm

Re: If you wish to use your UK ( overseas) passport after becoming an NZ citizen.

It is correct. It's on about those who were residents but are now citizens but wish to enter NZ using their non-NZ passport.

As such the part that you did not bold is more relevant: •have an Endorsement indicating NZ Citizenship in your foreign passport (for information on how to apply for this, please click on the Endorsement link above)
Those who have a NZ passport would not need any visa transferred for obvious reasons!

Besides if you held a work,visitor, temp visa then these do not count towards citizenship anyway [only residence does] so you would not have a NZ passport to transfer the visa to...you only would if you were a resident:)

kodachrome Oct 27th 2013 9:24 pm

But the subject line says "If you wish to use your UK ( overseas) passport after becoming an NZ citizen."... there is no problem doing that, the quirk is only "If as new NZ Citizen you travel out of the NZ then return with only your UK/Foreign passport".

The way its written now implied to me there was an issue having dual passports, which thankfully isnt the case. Other than by mistake, surely no one would plan to leave NZ then return using their non-NZ passport!? All the talk of Endorsements on old passports.. Im obviously not getting it!? Why bother, cant people just use the correct Passport?

Persephone Oct 27th 2013 9:36 pm

I see what you mean now. I just took it as a given what the thread was about after reading it:)

Reasons for entering on a non-NZ passport:
*your NZ passport may expire whilst out of NZ and it's cheaper to replace in NZ;
*you may wish to spend a few years outside NZ but have occasional visits and so wish to retain your UK passport eg living in the EU, it may also be easier to enter/get a visa for certain countries on a UK passport[?];
*you renewed your 10yr UK passport just prior to becoming a NZ citizen and so don't want the extra immediate expense of a second passport;
*you only want the expense of one passport, my NZ citizen husband has issues with the length of time the NZ one lasts and the lack of 'carry over' time;
*for sentimental reasons you wish to keep a UK passport.

Off the top of my head, from a non NZ citizen;) I'm sure there are others:D

BEVS Oct 28th 2013 8:35 pm

I'm happy to adjust the title to better reflect the subject matter if you wish. It's simply a heads up about what you need to change in your UK passport after your NZ citizenship.

Some people like to be able to use their UK passports regardless of whether they are NZ citizens or not.
Some that become NZ citizens don't immediate apply for an NZ passport

1 - It's yet more money
2 - Maybe the UK passport has years before expiry.

lardyl Nov 26th 2013 1:59 am

Ok so get me right - and I just found out about the endorsement thingie - if I have a (very shortly due to expire) UK passport then if I renew this, as a newly minted citizen of NZ, I cannot take the IRRVs (or whatever they are called now) with it. AND if I get a NZ passport now I cannot later get a UK one and get an endorsement on IT?

So I have to hold both NZ passport and UK passport to be able to travel as dual citizen to the countries that get the best benefits, eg EU, Aus ????
Or am I missing something?

Reckon sod's law applies again as I could have renewed UK passport and got stamps in again before the citizenship ceremony and thereby got an endorsement for 10 years :(:(:(

Cunning plan failed again.

Persephone Nov 26th 2013 4:51 pm

Congratulations on your new citizenship LardyL:thumbup:

I'm confused as to what you mean by your post, unless I'm reading the same stuff and interpreting it completely differently:confused:;)

You now have the right to own a UK and a NZ passport. You can do the following:

1. Own both passports-you would not need an endorsement in your UK one as long as you only ever enter NZ using your NZ PP. That is proof of your NZ citizenship on its own!

2.Own a NZ PP only

3. Only own a UK PP - if you do this you need to get the endorsement in the PP. The endorsement exists to prove you are a NZ citizen and so have the right to enter without needing return tickets etc much as your IRRV proves you have the right to enter NZ as a resident.
If you have an existing UK PP with a IRRV in it then this is sufficient, when your PP expires and you apply for a new UK one you apply to get the citizenship endorsement in it. You do not need an IRRV as you are a citizen!
No different to the need to transfer your IRRV [or PRV now:p] to a new PP.

You're still eligible for a UK PP even if yours expires, you're still a UK citizen. And you then get the endorsement stuck into it. No reason why you cant do that at a later date.

If you already hold an RRV on the basis of your New Zealand citizenship, you will be able to continue travel to and enter New Zealand as New Zealand citizens with your foreign passport and RRV until the expiry of that passport. When you renew their foreign passport, you will be able to apply to Immigration New Zealand for an endorsement linked to your new foreign passport.
I'm not sure what you have missed out on. Or have I misunderstood your concerns completely:lol: Looks like the first endorsement cost is only $25 more than the transfer of a RRV cost so now a major difference there.

P:)