British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   If I have a work offer...??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/if-i-have-work-offer-481254/)

Maz Sep 15th 2007 4:40 am

If I have a work offer...???

Can we enter (legally?) as visitors, then get our medicals done there, and lodge our EOI at the same time as applying for our (my, then hubby's work and daughter's student) permits? Today I got my (clean :D ) police cert from England, so we're all set to go, apart from the medicals... which will cost a sodding ****ing fortune in the US.

Let me put it this way... last year when I got a concussion (near the end of the year, so I'd already paid my deductible) I still had to pay US$800 out of pocket for an MRI. With a Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO (happynz can sympathise ;) ).

happynz Sep 15th 2007 5:18 am

Re: If I have a work offer...???

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5313692)
Can we enter (legally?) as visitors,

Yes, I'd think so.

...then get our medicals done there, and lodge our EOI at the same time as applying for our (my, then hubby's work and daughter's student) permits?

I suppose you could produce your job offer and other documents to the desk at NZIS in Wellington and get your work permits for you and your husband and your daughter's student permit at the same time. That will give you some sort of status straightaway allowing you to work and your daughter to start at school. It will also give you time to book your medicals.
So yeah, get your permits, start work and bung that EOI in.

Today I got my (clean :D ) police cert from England, so we're all set to go, apart from the medicals... which will cost a sodding ****ing fortune in the US.

I shudder to think what they'd soak you for.

Let me put it this way... last year when I got a concussion (near the end of the year, so I'd already paid my deductible) I still had to pay US$800 out of pocket for an MRI. With a Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO (happynz can sympathise ;) ).

I know.

Good luck.

Maz Sep 15th 2007 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5313763)
I suppose you could produce your job offer and other documents to the desk at NZIS in Wellington and get your work permits for you and your husband and your daughter's student permit at the same time. That will give you some sort of status straightaway allowing you to work and your daughter to start at school. It will also give you time to book your medicals.
So yeah, get your permits, start work and bung that EOI in.

The NZ Embassy in DC told me we'd have to have the medicals before we can get any kind of work permits as the job offer is for permanent, full-time. We just don't want to be fleeced by the system over here... Tomorrow evening I'm going to try to call the NZIS in Auckland (first port of entry etc).

Thanks happy. Again. :) :thumbup:

turkeys Sep 15th 2007 7:00 pm

Out of interest Maz, why the move from US to NZ?

Just being nosey like ;)

Maz Sep 15th 2007 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by turkeys (Post 5315883)
Out of interest Maz, why the move from US to NZ?

Just being nosey like ;)

You ever been to the US? :D: :lol:

Many many reasons... weather here is shite, we're taxed up to our necks, and get next to nothing back for it (my 5-year old daugher is expected to go around the neighbourhood trying to raise funds for her kindergarten!). Healthcare is crap and supremely expensive. Social Security will be bankrupt by the time we would ever reap any benefits from paying in to the system. The US is (too) aggressive to other countries. The US is a nuclear power.

NZ is beautiful and we love the people. We already have friends there. The working conditions are much better. As is the weather. Schools are much better than in the US. Don't want daughter growing up in the US any more than she has already. More outdoorsy lifestyle. Fresher food. Much less traffic! Better public transport.

Not to mention we're completely in love with Wellington, I have a job offer from an accredited employer, and I got made redundant in May!

We'll miss our house but ... erm ... that's about it for me! :D

happynz Sep 15th 2007 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5315358)
The NZ Embassy in DC told me we'd have to have the medicals before we can get any kind of work permits as the job offer is for permanent, full-time.

Yes, but what's to stop you from arriving in New Zealand as visitors and then processing the paperwork to convert to work and student permits in Wellington? Just thinking out loud...

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5315358)
We just don't want to be fleeced by the system over here... Tomorrow evening I'm going to try to call the NZIS in Auckland (first port of entry etc).

Thanks happy. Again. :) :thumbup:

Good luck with that.

Maz Sep 15th 2007 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5316200)
Yes, but what's to stop you from arriving in New Zealand as visitors and then processing the paperwork to convert to work and student permits in Wellington? Just thinking out loud...

They'd be well within their rights to suspect just a bit as we'll have two massive suitcases each, and hubby is taking a guitar amp as a suitcase... ;) Don't really want to get refused permission to enter. :(

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5316200)
Good luck with that.

Thanks, I think I'll need it! :lol: :D

happynz Sep 15th 2007 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5316208)
They'd be well within their rights to suspect just a bit as we'll have two massive suitcases each, and hubby is taking a guitar amp as a suitcase... ;) Don't really want to get refused permission to enter. :(

The people who stamp your passport don't really look at your luggage since your stuff is picked up after you pass immigration control. Customs are more concerned with bio-security and knuckleheads trying to bring in drugs and guns or dodgy characters not declaring huge sums of cash. My gut instinct is that customs would not even give you a second glance.
;)
So, let us know what NZIS in Dorkland say.

As always, best of luck.
:)

Maz Sep 15th 2007 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5316237)
The people who stamp your passport don't really look at your luggage since your stuff is picked up after you pass immigration control. Customs are more concerned with bio-security and knuckleheads trying to bring in drugs and guns or dodgy characters not declaring huge sums of cash. My gut instinct is that customs would not even give you a second glance.
;)
So, let us know what NZIS in Dorkland say.

You're probably right, but I want to make sure we wouldn't have any problems. I also need to ask them about hubby's two incidents on his police report... ;) The most recent was 13 years ago and zero jail time. He's not a drug trafficker or anything, so I think we'll be OK. :)

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5316237)
As always, best of luck.
:)

Thanks happy, you're a gem. :wub:

adilsondias Sep 27th 2007 8:32 am

Hi Maz,
I'm here in Wellington on the same situation as you.
I came here with my family in a visitor visa and 6 bigger suitcases. They didn't asked anything about my luggage. Just stamped 3 months of visitor visa in my passport.
After I had interviews, that I made appointment before arrive here, and got a job offer. Then I applied for a work permit for me, my wifes work permit(general family) and student for my son(5). We undertook the medical here and the total cost for us 3 were about 1,000.00 NZD.

I'm waiting for the work permit result, I hope that I can start working on October 15th.

Regards,

Adilson Dias

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5316400)
You're probably right, but I want to make sure we wouldn't have any problems. I also need to ask them about hubby's two incidents on his police report... ;) The most recent was 13 years ago and zero jail time. He's not a drug trafficker or anything, so I think we'll be OK. :)

Thanks happy, you're a gem. :wub:

turkeys Sep 27th 2007 8:37 am

Adilson, interesting to hear the costs of medicals if you do it in NZ. Seems quite a bit cheaper than doing so from UK

I think we will all go out on a one year temp visa and then set the ball rolling for PR once there

Andy

adilsondias Oct 18th 2007 1:12 am

Originally Posted by turkeys (Post 5359588)
Adilson, interesting to hear the costs of medicals if you do it in NZ. Seems quite a bit cheaper than doing so from UK

I think we will all go out on a one year temp visa and then set the ball rolling for PR once there

Andy

Hi, I would like to announce that my work permit was sorted out on 16 October 2007. I will start to work on 23 October 2007 as 22 is holiday here.

Best Regards,

Adilson Dias