IELTS Test and Submission

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Wayfarer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS Test and Submission

Been looking through the EOI form (or rather the EOI Book! ) and it mentions the IELTS test for english language capability.
Does this apply for Native English Speakers or do we tick the box that says 'Otherwise meet the minimum standard, as defined in the Guide'.
As I can't locate the guide I'm assuming it's ok not to of taken the test?

Also, do you have to submit the form whilst out of the country or can you fire it off whilst in NZ doing work on a visitors visa?

I really hope this is the case as I've seen some really tough immigration policies in the states and their mentality is 'leave the country to even think about working if you're not a US citizen'!

Cheers

W.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:16 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS Test and Submission

If you are a native English speaker then you don't have to do the test as long as you can prove proficiency in English some other way.
I filled in "otherwise meet the minimum standard" and a little box pops up as you hit next. In here I wrote something about how I was born in the UK to English speaking parents and all my education had been in English.

From the NZIS operating manual:
they provide other evidence which satisfies a visa or immigration officer that, taking account of that evidence and all the circumstances of the application, they are a competent user of English. These circumstances may include but are not limited to:

the country in which the applicant currently resides;
the country(ies) in which the applicant has previously resided;
the duration of residence in each country;
whether the applicant speaks any language other than English;
whether members of the applicant's family speak English;
whether members of the applicant's family speak any language other than English;
the nature of the applicant's current or previous employment (if any) and whether that is or was likely to require skill in English language;
the nature of the applicant's qualifications (if any) and whether the obtaining of those qualifications was likely to require skill in the English language.
That was all I needed to do.

It is illegal to work on a visitors visa. I hope you meant work visa or working holiday visa. Need a job offer before you can get a work visa and various conditions apply. Are you young enough to get a working holiday visa?
You can certainly apply under the SMC whilst in NZ. Are you intending to apply online, it is easier and cheaper

Last edited by Persephone; Apr 4th 2009 at 2:23 am.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 5:26 am
Just Joined

Wayfarer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

Alas I'm too old (31) for the working holiday visa.
But I plan on getting the skilled migrant visa anyway OR a Work to Reside visa

But I figure that a lot of the places that take on temp workers won't mind someone doing a bit of work here or there under the table
Just joking BTW.

I made my fortune in Oil and Gas so I'm not one who is desperate for money to stay in NZ.
That said of course I'd want to be getting a more skilled
But what I will be doing is getting myself a city and guilds level 2 in welding and then coded welding. This is one of the skill shortages in NZ right now so that will, with luck be the key I need.
I've got other skills but don't want to fall back on them as they aren't in the magical skill shortages area.

Last edited by Wayfarer; Apr 4th 2009 at 5:32 am.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 5:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Welder

Yup. It's on the long term shortage list.

Just make sure you gain enough of an UK NVQ to satisfy the NZIS NZ register level required by NZIS. That seems to be a level 4 which may require you to progress from an NVQ2 to NVQ3 or above.