IELTS requirements

Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

fahadkhan389 will become famous soon enoughfahadkhan389 will become famous soon enough
Default IELTS requirements

Dear freinds,

I want to know about the IELTS requirement for Newzealand skilled immigration?i read from website that requirement is 6.5...is it average 6.5 in all bands?or how much bands are required minimum in each category(Listening,reading,writing,speaking)??...p lz clearify my understandings..

Fahad
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

wannabekiwi will become famous soon enoughwannabekiwi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: IELTS requirements

Hi Fahad,

I just did my IELTS exam last month.
You get an average band score taking all different categories into consideration.
To get prepared for the test I used this link
http://www.cambridgeesol.org/teach/ielts/
Click on the left panels for samples tests.
Good luck to you!
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:07 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Yup it's an average 6.5, though like everything it is down to the discretion of the Immigration Case Officer. Which means although there is an overall 6.5 limit, they might get worried if the spread is too much (too low in one area). My wife got scores ranging from 5 to 8, and averaged 6.5 so was fine.

Don’t forget that the required score is 6.5 for the primary applicant and 5 for all others so if you are married your OH will also need to take the test, unless they can prove English competence.

You too can avoid the IELTS test if you can prove you have studied in the English language at a sufficient level, or have held down a job requiring English for a period of time.

Finally if you are teaching in NZ or are studying certain subjects the IELTS score required is higher.

Best of luck anyway…and practise lots (my daughter and I who are both native English speakers and ‘A’ level English and degree level qualified both got poor scores when we thought we could just ‘wing it’ on an example online test ….like most tests it’s as much to do with how to do the test as it is with ability in the subject.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

fahadkhan389 will become famous soon enoughfahadkhan389 will become famous soon enough

HI freinds,
Thanx to wannabekiwi,Wooly_Cow for response to my query, i have got 6.5 and i have band like (listening=6,reading=5.5,writing=7,and speaking=6.5)...only reading is under 6 ....i have many queries regarding NZ immigration.its the best forum to asking the queries..thanx u guys again.

best regards
Fahad
Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:56 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Anything we can do to help...just ask
Old Oct 30th 2008, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
Anything we can do to help...just ask
i wana ask ...is NZ a good choice for immigration than Australia?why every one moving to australia? is there any hidden requirement that may stop the process later on?i want to be satisfied first before startign my process.

i have BS degree in computer engineering(4 years exp in testing software and quality assurance)
i have also an MBA degree in marketing
my age is 28 now
i have no job offer in NZ as i m outside NZ and i belong to high risk country
I have good health and have never been any criminal activity:-)

What do u think with above points ..should i go for this?
i also want to know about job environment there in NZ?living expenses?everything that might help me?
i know i have asked many things at a time ....can some one dare to reply all these queries:-)?

best regards

Fahad
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:11 pm
Cow on the Beach

Fahad,

There are loads of reasons to choose or not a country. This forum has a lot of threads which explore what people do not like and indeed like about New Zealand. From reading them and personal experience I think some of the main factors are;

• New Zealand is a much smaller economy than the US, UK or Australia therefore choice and opportunity is not as great. This goes for the job market as well of course. However in certain areas there are shortages in skills.
• Many emigrants lump NZ in with Australia, and the places are very different. I think sometimes people expect NZ to be a little Oz and are disappointed when it is not especially climate wise.
• Housing here is poor – there is no other way of saying it. The building standard is low and suitable for warmer climates (like Australia or the Mediterranean for example) but not somewhere where heating is required for a significant part of the year. Even new houses are still being built with little or no insulation, double glazing or heating. I find it ironic that every morning I see a poster advertising the benefits of eco-friendly light bulbs which save only a small fraction of the energy simple building improvements would do (roof and wall insulation and double glazing)
• Levels of pay are lower than most other countries previously mentioned and are not fully reflected in a lower cost of living. If you want to keep buying all those items you are used to in the average UK shopping trip you will struggle to afford them all (if you can find them – see the first point)….but then did your kids really need the 20th new X Box game which they will play with for a week and then forget, or does your wife really need the 30th pair of shoes (sorry to my wife but it needs saying )…it’s a different less materialistic life style I think. The best example is cars. Here many adverts in the papers and from dealers are for cars well over 10 years old!

So there are reasons why some people leave or don’t stay too long. The best advise I can give is research the country you are going to, come and visit before you make your mind up if you can and above all don’t forget, nowhere is perfect.

Having lived in The UK, Germany, Australia, and now New Zealand I can honestly say that each have very good reasons for living there. If you never loose sight of those you’ll be happy anywhere you live.

Best of luck

Jan