IELTS General or Academic?

Old Jul 26th 2012, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Bexie7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face IELTS General or Academic?

Hi,

I am going to apply to take IELTS exam. I am unsure if I need to take General or Academic. I am a mental health nurse and will also need IELTS to register. If anyone could advise me of which test I need to take I would be very grateful.
Thanks
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

kingacat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IELTS General or Academic?

Hi,
You need to do the academic test. There's a really good book called target 7 that'll be a life saver when working towards the exam. I suggest you do some preparation for it. I say this because I thought I would be fine and failed to get a 7 on one of the sections. Had to do the whole exam again and it's expensive and a whole day! Good luck.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

hmlamie is an unknown quantity at this point

What i know that for immigration purpose you need 6.5 overall in IELTS general, but for your job registration i don't know. My advice to you if the immigration will preceed the registration, do the general one first and prepare your self to the academic. Academic is a a tough exam and general is eaiser.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

kingacat is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are taking the exam for your nurse registration you need the academic exam and you need an 7 in each section ie listening, writing, reading and speaking.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 7:59 am
RIP Jackson - 10/07/12

azakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kingacat
If you are taking the exam for your nurse registration you need the academic exam and you need an 7 in each section ie listening, writing, reading and speaking.
Kingacat is correct. For nurse registration you need academic. I also got less than 7 in one subject first time round and had to re-take. It is a long day and you definately need to prepare yourself. I used the book Kingacat said, Target 7, and it helped loads. Good luck
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Bexie7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies. I have taken general IELTS before but that runs out in January 2013. Looks like I'll have to take the academic version now for registration. Does anyone know how different they are? I got good results for general and I am hoping they will be similar exams!

Bex
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

alexn is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not too sure about this. But, what's most important is your training for the test. You can train yourself for really high scores. Do check on the net for IELTS online training. I will try and give you the link when I find it (a pretty good site).

One month's practice should be solid. Well, that is if you need the help for the training. Do not underestimate the IELTS test.

Just some opinions and suggestions.

Originally Posted by Bexie7
Hi,

I am going to apply to take IELTS exam. I am unsure if I need to take General or Academic. I am a mental health nurse and will also need IELTS to register. If anyone could advise me of which test I need to take I would be very grateful.
Thanks