British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   I got Work To Residence today..please help.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/i-got-work-residence-today-please-help-586490/)

husaing Jan 23rd 2009 2:10 pm

I got Work To Residence today..please help....

Hi,
I got a mail from immi New Zealand saying you have got WTR. I'm a bit pissed off since I applied for residence visa and this is certainly not what I wanted. The mail is saying that you have 3 months time to apply for this visa and further 3 months time to fly to NZL. My situation is that I'm currently working for a big IT firm on a very prestigious project which will get over by September and I want to fly only after that. I also applied for AUS residence (on my brother's insistence who is an Autralian citizen and based in Sydney) and am on MODL+CSL with 140 points. I have worked for ANZ Melbourne for close to a year in 2006-07 and feel that getting the job wouldn't be much of an issue for me.

Guys, if anyone knows the fine points of WTR, please feel free to share here or PM me. In the mean time, I would also try to get more info from Immi NZL. My biggest concern is what will be my status in New Zealand? Should I tell potential employers that I have got Residence visa? Wouldn't this be a lie?

Thanx
Husain

getmethere Jan 23rd 2009 2:36 pm

Re: I got Work To Residence today..please help....

Hi

i've heard of other people getting this. apparently your case officer can give you a letter explaining the fact that WTR visa is a pathway to getting PR and thus you are almost guarranteed PR if you find a job that complies with the terms of your visa etc. You can give this letter to employers so that they are aware of your situation and don't just think you only have a limited work visa because I'm sure they would be less likely to hire someone for long-term if you have a visa that expires in a short while.

ask case officer about this, they might be able to help. As for telling employers, I would explain the situation, you have a work visa as a means of getting PR and that you will apply for PR once you've been in job for 3 months

husaing Jan 23rd 2009 7:07 pm

Re: I got Work To Residence today..please help....

Originally Posted by getmethere (Post 7204827)
Hi

i've heard of other people getting this. apparently your case officer can give you a letter explaining the fact that WTR visa is a pathway to getting PR and thus you are almost guarranteed PR if you find a job that complies with the terms of your visa etc. You can give this letter to employers so that they are aware of your situation and don't just think you only have a limited work visa because I'm sure they would be less likely to hire someone for long-term if you have a visa that expires in a short while.

ask case officer about this, they might be able to help. As for telling employers, I would explain the situation, you have a work visa as a means of getting PR and that you will apply for PR once you've been in job for 3 months

Thanx a lot Getmethere.... let me get in touch with my case officer.I will try to push this for at least three months since I dont want 2 leave my current job before september.
Thanx anyway
Husain