How to start the whole process

Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Slowers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to start the whole process

Hi all,

I am an Insurance Broker and am looking to move the family over to NZ. Our initial contact for the move was a very excited and expectant recruitment adviser who gave me a timeframe of a week for Skype Interviews and a very likely offer of employment. He was working for an international company so we believed in him. Contact from him has now diminished as roles weren't suitable, other advisers have told me I need to go over and set up interviews. My occupation is on the level 2 skilled list, shall I book my flights??.?.? We have also booked an appointment with a local immigration adviser, but looking at the threads, this doesn't seem to be a popular route. help!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:29 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to start the whole process

Short Term Skills Shortage List (STSSL) or Long Term Skills Shortage List (LTSSL)?

What job reference in either list do you qualify for?

Look here and see how many points you qualify for then your likelihood of being able to migrate under the Skilled Migrant Category can be seen, you may still need a job offer to qualify for enough points.

No don'y book flights, you haven't passed first base yet. Most on here, if your case is straightforward, would recommend not using an advisor. Save their fees towards the cost of migrating, ask any questions you need to on here.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

James Baker is an unknown quantity at this point

If you decide to go for it I'd recommend looking through this in detail. Its the SMC Operations Manual. Please be aware that an immigration officer will be entitled to request anything further from you that they deem necessary in order process an application even if it is not published as a requirement in this manual. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/index.htm

I recently had to provide a statutory declaration that I did not commit any criminal offenses whilst living as a (British) baby in Hong Kong in lieu of a police certificate. Madness? HK was a British Colony when I was born there..I thought I'd mention this as despite all the research and preparation there can always be surprises which may cause delays unforeseen. I would agree with simonsi on all accounts. All the very best James
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:02 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

If you are intending on moving permanently then the Skilled Migrant Category is the way forward as that will give you residence.
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...killedmigrant/
This works on points so the first thing to do is assess how many points you have currently. If 140 or over then your EOI [expression of interest, the first stage of the application] will be selected automatically. There is a sliding scale of what is picked out. So far this year the majority of selections have been 140pts and above or those with a job offer.
Insurance broker is not on the LTSSL which would give you bonus points on your EOI.

If you do not get 140pts then you will need a job offer to stand a good chance of being selected.

Other options are:
WTR visa: job offer first and to apply the job must be with an accredited employer as your job is not on the LTSSL.
Work visa: temporary only, job offer first. As insurance brokers are not on the ISSL or the LTSSL then any employer offering you a job must prove that no NZers are available to do the job.
If you are planning on staying permanently and need a job offer anyway then go straight for the SMC if you have enough points. The WTR and work visas can be used to get here quicker if an employer requires you to start sooner than a SMC application may take to go through.

Another one for not using an agent, it's not that difficult unless you have some skeletons in the closet and they are extremely expensive for what they do. Also nothing beats doing it yourself and hence understanding the whole process fully.
As for job hunting, a lot depends on the job, nurses usually get job offers from the UK whereas other employers prefer you to be in NZ. Have a look for situations vacant - try trademe.co.nz and seek.co.nz
Does your partner/wife/husband have a profession? Sometimes the other partner is better as the principle candidate.
Good luck