How soon would we have to move?

Old Aug 16th 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Sharyne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How soon would we have to move?

Hi,

I'm new to this board, but need some help. I've not applied yet for PR. I need to know, if we were given PR, how soon would we have to move to New Zealand, permanently? I know that OZ is, you have to activate the PR within one year, then you have 5 years to move. How does it work for New Zealand?

Thanks
Sharyne from Glasgow, Scotland!
Old Aug 16th 2008, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Soppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud of
Default Re: How soon would we have to move?

Hi and welcome.

If you are granted PR you have 6 months to tell Immigration you accept it and then a further 12 months to actually get to NZ, so effectively you have 18 months in total. Not 100% about going to NZ to activate the PR then returning to the UK and then going out again, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in that area will let you know about that.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Soppydot4
Hi and welcome.

If you are granted PR you have 6 months to tell Immigration you accept it and then a further 12 months to actually get to NZ, so effectively you have 18 months in total. Not 100% about going to NZ to activate the PR then returning to the UK and then going out again, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in that area will let you know about that.
Hi, Thanks for your help!

We are desperate to apply/eoi, but we still have our house here to sell, there is no way we'd be ready in 18 months!

Sharyne
Old Aug 17th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget waiting to be pulled out of the pool and if you do, the paperwork for your ITA can take a long time (longer if you want it too), some people have waited almost a year for everything to be completed.

All the best
Old Aug 17th 2008, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by teebrown
Don't forget waiting to be pulled out of the pool and if you do, the paperwork for your ITA can take a long time (longer if you want it too), some people have waited almost a year for everything to be completed.

All the best
Thanks, thats good to know. Our house is up for sale just now, I'll see how that goes and then maybe apply. If we don't apply soon, I reckon my hubby might leave me!
Old Aug 19th 2008, 3:10 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sharyne,

The times can vary a lot depending on whether you have a job offer and how fast you are selected.
I'll assume you have no job since you are looking months/years ahead

If your occupation is on the LTSSL then your EOI will be selected very quickly[ within 2 weeks]. If it isn't then it could be in the pool for a while depending on how many are in the pool at the time.
Then up to 3m to receive your ITA [took me 5 and a half months though!!]
You then have 4 months to get that back to NZIS
Once NZIS receive your ITA it can take up to 7 months to receive an answer. I received mine in 3 weeks so you can't rely on NZIS's timings at all:curse:
NZIS will decide whether to give you PR in which case you have up to 18m to get to NZ as someone mentioned earlier.
But, and there's always a but! If they decide to give you a Work to Residence visa then you will only have 6m, 3m to accept the visa and 3m to get to NZ. So you could end up with much less time that you think.

What job do you do in the UK, is it on the LTSSL?

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing! The times are what NZIS reckon it can take.
Sue
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sue R
Hi Sharyne,

The times can vary a lot depending on whether you have a job offer and how fast you are selected.
I'll assume you have no job since you are looking months/years ahead

If your occupation is on the LTSSL then your EOI will be selected very quickly[ within 2 weeks]. If it isn't then it could be in the pool for a while depending on how many are in the pool at the time.
Then up to 3m to receive your ITA [took me 5 and a half months though!!]
You then have 4 months to get that back to NZIS
Once NZIS receive your ITA it can take up to 7 months to receive an answer. I received mine in 3 weeks so you can't rely on NZIS's timings at all:curse:
NZIS will decide whether to give you PR in which case you have up to 18m to get to NZ as someone mentioned earlier.
But, and there's always a but! If they decide to give you a Work to Residence visa then you will only have 6m, 3m to accept the visa and 3m to get to NZ. So you could end up with much less time that you think.

What job do you do in the UK, is it on the LTSSL?

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing! The times are what NZIS reckon it can take.
Sue
Hi Sue,

I would be applying under my husband, him as the main applicant. He is a Joiner, 20 years experience. He is 40 this year, but I'm only 33! As I always remind him! I think that is still on the list of jobs thingy!
I'm not up to scratch on all the jargon on this website!
What do you think? Would he have a good chance of getting PR? Can they do that, offer you a work visa thingy when you have applied for a PR? Any advice gratefully recieved!

Thanks
Sharyne
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sharyne
Hi Sue,

I would be applying under my husband, him as the main applicant. He is a Joiner, 20 years experience. He is 40 this year, but I'm only 33! As I always remind him! I think that is still on the list of jobs thingy!
I'm not up to scratch on all the jargon on this website!
What do you think? Would he have a good chance of getting PR? Can they do that, offer you a work visa thingy when you have applied for a PR? Any advice gratefully recieved!

Thanks
Sharyne
Hi,

PR = Peremant Residancy
EOI = Express of interest
ITA = Invitation to Apply
NZIS = New Zealand Immigration Service

the first thing to do is check you have enough points to apply for a Visa, we are going for a PR, so can only comment on that, check on the NZIS website under the calculator or even fill out the EOI form and it will tell you automatically at the top of the page how many points you can have (you don't have to submit it, just save it). If you have enough points (with or without job offer), over 100 you will go in the pool, if you have a job offer as well (this will give you another 50 points and another 10 if outside Auckland), if you then get selected from the pool and the NZIS agree with what you are claiming points wise, they will send you an ITA, this is where you gather all your qualifications and prove the points you are claiming for and then get medicals and police certs, then you send it all back and they will then (hopefully) grant you a PR, then you can go live and work in NZ.

Hope this helps a little.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by teebrown
Hi,

PR = Peremant Residancy
EOI = Express of interest
ITA = Invitation to Apply
NZIS = New Zealand Immigration Service

the first thing to do is check you have enough points to apply for a Visa, we are going for a PR, so can only comment on that, check on the NZIS website under the calculator or even fill out the EOI form and it will tell you automatically at the top of the page how many points you can have (you don't have to submit it, just save it). If you have enough points (with or without job offer), over 100 you will go in the pool, if you have a job offer as well (this will give you another 50 points and another 10 if outside Auckland), if you then get selected from the pool and the NZIS agree with what you are claiming points wise, they will send you an ITA, this is where you gather all your qualifications and prove the points you are claiming for and then get medicals and police certs, then you send it all back and they will then (hopefully) grant you a PR, then you can go live and work in NZ.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the breakdown! Good luck with your PR! Hopefullywe can appy soon.

Sharyne
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Does anyone have any idea how you go about trying to get a job offer in NZ when you are still back home, me in Glasgow. I've tried looking online, but can never find any decent job websites.

Sharyne
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

squiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of light

Hi..
I found my job on the internet while still in the uk..
Leaving for NZ about the end of October.
All i did was put my job descripyion on google..ie Engineering jobs in New Zealand... Seemed to work for me..
Hope this Helps
Squidd
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just a tip for you, if you want to google anything in NZ use their site:

www.google.co.nz
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh forgot, and another good site is
www.stuff.co.nz

It a site for all the local newspapers etc (like the BBC site)
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all so very much for your advice!!!

When I say work, it'd be my husband who will be doing the work!
At the moment at least! 9 month old baby hanging of my leg!

I'll check out those websites asap!

Thanks