Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

How picky are they with matching qualifications

How picky are they with matching qualifications

Old Jun 5th 2008, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

getmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud of
Default How picky are they with matching qualifications

Hi there

How strict are they with your qual matching the NZ equivalent.

Example: I want to claim points for a qual in Environmental Science on the absolute skills shortage list. It says you need a Bsc in Environmental Studies at level 7.

I did my qual in South Africa and it has already been assessed by NZQA. I got Bsc in Geography & Geolgy (level 7) and I did a one-year course for a Bsc Hons in Environmental Science (leve 8). Now, clearly that qualifies me to do the job of an Environmental Scientist (and I am doing just that) but will they be picky about the fact that it's not a Bsc Environmental Studies exactly!

And who decides if it is equivalent. NZQA didn't say anything about it's equivalence. Is it the NZIS case officer that decides.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 3:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: How picky are they with matching qualifications

NZIS will want your qualifications to match the level they set. So in a way, I suppose they are picky.

If you have had your quals assessed by NZQA and you match the standard set for the skilled occupation as stated by NZIS , then there shouldn't be a problem.

It is the NZIS case officer who decides. If in doubt have the full NZQA assessment done perhaps . This will take into account all your quals and work exp.