Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

How much money should you have saved before you go ?

How much money should you have saved before you go ?

Old Jul 25th 2008, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

benandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the rough
Default How much money should you have saved before you go ?

I know we'll have to have some money saved to pay for the immigration paperwork, medicals, flights, rent for the first few months, shipping etc. It's really hard to figure out even roughly how much this might cost because there seems to be so many factors involved.

We're a young couple, no kids, no pets, not planning on taking a lot of furniture. I'm going to be nurse so hopefully, I might manage to find a job before we go.

How much did other people find it cost ? Any regrets about moving too soon or not soon enough due to money concerns ?

Thanks,

Ben
Old Jul 26th 2008, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much money should you have saved before you go ?

Originally Posted by benandlea
I know we'll have to have some money saved to pay for the immigration paperwork, medicals, flights, rent for the first few months, shipping etc. It's really hard to figure out even roughly how much this might cost because there seems to be so many factors involved.

We're a young couple, no kids, no pets, not planning on taking a lot of furniture. I'm going to be nurse so hopefully, I might manage to find a job before we go.

How much did other people find it cost ? Any regrets about moving too soon or not soon enough due to money concerns ?

Thanks,

Ben
The more the merrier. Money issues are one of the biggest problems for many people when they arrive in NZ. I would not attempt this on a shoe string. You will need less than most as you are without dependents..but beleive you me the last thing you need in the midst of a new life are money worries. Save, save and save a bit more. The kiwi $ appear to be devaluing now..hovering around 2.68 with currency dealers..not bad considering its beed at about 2.54 for many a month!!
Old Jul 26th 2008, 7:27 am
Just Joined

emmsy poo has a brilliant futureemmsy poo has a brilliant futureemmsy poo has a brilliant futureemmsy poo has a brilliant futureemmsy poo has a brilliant futureemmsy poo has a brilliant futureemmsy poo has a brilliant future

Hi Ben and Lea

We are going through the initial stages of immigration and we have been advised that will will need approximately £4,500 for the process to be completed.

We also have no dependents.

We have roughly estimated in total to move across is going to cost us around £20,000, immigration, real estate, flights, a reccie holiday, possible employment agencies, shipping of our stuff, amongst other things.

We often wonder why we are making this move, but I guess the lifestyle and the lack of BS is the main aim.

Hope it all goes well for you guys.

Cheers

Ems

Last edited by emmsy poo; Jul 26th 2008 at 7:30 am.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 8:34 am
Family landed :)

newzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nice

The more the merrier as always But don't let finances slow you down, if you want to make it work it will work esp. if you have no children depending on you.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 8:28 pm
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, we're International House Sitters! :)
Water Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond repute

Can only tell you how much we've spent so far....

EOI - £164.69
Degree Certificate - £7.00
Police Records - £70.00
Medical Tests - £484.00
Photos - £16.00
Photocopies - £3.50
ITA - £685.00
Recorded post - £8.50

TOTAL - £1,438.69

It's actually been more than that, as I needed a police certificate from Spain, a translation of said certificate, and an IELTS test, but haven't added those to the list as I don't suppose they'll apply to you!

If we get granted visas, we'll have to add the Migrant Levy - £260.00 for the 2 of us, plus of course flights and shipping costs.... these of course could be anything between a couple of hundred pounds or a few thousand depending on whether you're shipping a couple of boxes or the entire contents of your house....

Hope that helps to get an idea of how much you need just to apply!

Good luck with your plans
Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:07 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to allow some for other expenses; like estate agent fees and solicitors if you have property to sell, paying off last gas, electric, phone, internet, Sky, mobile phone, credit cards, HP, store cards, any other finance, leaving party costs, cards and presents for relatives, taxi/transport to airport, shipping container (our 20' container cost 3,150 GBP), possible money for MAF inspection this end (ours was $485), flights (think ours were around 700 GBP each), taxi this end, money to buy car here (first car we bought was $5,000 then traded for 4wd for $8,000), car insurance, contents insurance, motel/rental (deposit + 4-6wks rent), money for fuel bills, petrol, solicitors + surveyor costs here if buying a property (solicitor was around $1,000K, surveryor $300), setting up a post box to have mail forwarded - so fee for Royal Mail, UK and 12 months post box in NZ (ours I think was 47 GBP for 6 months to Royal Mail and $135 for post box), money to buy new furniture/household stuff here that you may need to replace if you didn't want to ship - 3 piece suite anything from $1,000 - $4,000 new, bedroom sets (bed, dresser, drawers, bedside lockers) around $1,200 - course there is always Trade Me for bargains!

It's certainly not cheap so the more you can bring the better as it just seems to evaporate once you get here! Must be that hole in the ozone