British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   How much does permanent residency cost? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/how-much-does-permanent-residency-cost-803423/)

paddy234 Jul 19th 2013 10:57 pm

How much does permanent residency cost?

I am going to New Zealand in a couple of week's on a WHV and my aim is to get a job in construction in ChristChurch, if successful then i aim to get sponsored by an employer for a few year's and maybe after that go for permanent residency as i feel this is the easiest route and cheapest for PR. Anyway i have a mate out there now, his employer has said he will sponsor him after his year is up however he has stated that he probably won't go for permanent residency after-ward's as it cost's several grand? Is this true?

MrsFychan Jul 19th 2013 11:34 pm

Re: How much does permanent residency cost?

check the fees page on the Immigration site

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../formsandfees/

looks to me like $930 for resident via work and then the levy fee of $310

but that could be wrong dependant on the visa you are on atm

paddy234 Jul 19th 2013 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10809096)
check the fees page on the Immigration site

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../formsandfees/

looks to me like $930 for resident via work and then the levy fee of $310

but that could be wrong dependant on the visa you are on atm

Thank's for the reply, still don't know what to do yet and what route to go down whether to try and get employer to sponsor me or simply go for skilled migrant visa after a period of time working there. I think i'll just see how it goes for the first few month's and then decide.

M_and_M Jul 20th 2013 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by paddy234 (Post 10809056)
I am going to New Zealand in a couple of week's on a WHV and my aim is to get a job in construction in ChristChurch, if successful then i aim to get sponsored by an employer for a few year's and maybe after that go for permanent residency as i feel this is the easiest route and cheapest for PR. Anyway i have a mate out there now, his employer has said he will sponsor him after his year is up however he has stated that he probably won't go for permanent residency after-ward's as it cost's several grand? Is this true?

Check my blog- click on application timescale. It details exactly why we needed, costs, and how long it all took. :)

paddy234 Jul 20th 2013 4:26 pm

One more thing, i was a roof tiler for over two year's here in Ireland before thing's went belly up in the construction industry however now have several roofing companies who want to interview me when i arrive. Do you need certain qualification's here? I know plenty of tradesmen from here working in New Zealand now and all that was required was reference's to prove their experience? The reason i'm asking this is for the EOI point's system when it ask's for qualification's

M_and_M Jul 20th 2013 4:28 pm

Points claimed for qualifications need to be on the exempt list, otherwise your qualifications need to be assessed by NZEI in order to claim points for the EOI

paddy234 Jul 20th 2013 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by M_and_M (Post 10810089)
Points claimed for qualifications need to be on the exempt list, otherwise your qualifications need to be assessed by NZEI in order to claim points for the EOI

Thank you, i do see that many trade's certificate's are mentioned, i wonder though that many lad's who are trade qualified due to time served may have no certificate's or qualification's. Rather they simply served their time under apprenticeship, some of these lad's were only required to give reference's to prove their experience and now are working in New Zealand. They went through an agency operating over here but it seem's that this was all that was needed to prove that their trade is recognized under New Zealand law

paddy234 Jul 20th 2013 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by M_and_M (Post 10810072)
Check my blog- click on application timescale. It details exactly why we needed, costs, and how long it all took. :)

Just checked your timescale, seem's alot more expensive than i thought, i might wait a good while before doing anything in that case. Hopefully if i'm in full time employment, i'll try and get a temporary working visa to keep me working after the year and slowly save up for the visa

M_and_M Jul 20th 2013 5:06 pm

It is quite costly. Those prices are very current too . I have two visas listed there because I had to get a temp visa in order to take the job - the permanent residency visa takes a lot longer to process and wouldn't have been done in time.

As for qualifications - it depends on how the points system scores you and where you get your points from. You need 140 for automatic selection.

I have a friend who trained as a teacher in NZ after a gap year holiday here. She is still on a 2 year temp visa which she renews, while she saves up.

paddy234 Jul 20th 2013 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by M_and_M (Post 10810125)
It is quite costly. Those prices are very current too . I have two visas listed there because I had to get a temp visa in order to take the job - the permanent residency visa takes a lot longer to process and wouldn't have been done in time.

As for qualifications - it depends on how the points system scores you and where you get your points from. You need 140 for automatic selection.

I have a friend who trained as a teacher in NZ after a gap year holiday here. She is still on a 2 year temp visa which she renews, while she saves up.

Yea, i think if i get employment then i'll try and seek sponsorship from an employer which will tie me over for a while till i save, this seem's to be the most popular route especially amongst tradesmen. Anyway loving your blog, very helpful and informative.

M_and_M Jul 20th 2013 5:19 pm

Why thank you.

It's work in progress, I intend to add more stuff, useful sites, links Eric when my ship sails in that has my computer on it!

Good luck with your new journey!