How to move to NZ from Aus.....

Old Apr 5th 2014, 7:33 am
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to move to NZ from Aus.....

........and there is no prize for being the first one to say "by plane"

Couple of questions that I'm sure you guys can answer at least in broad terms at the drop of a hat......

1) If a Brit arrives in NZ from Aus, having got Aussie citizenship, and therefore entering NZ as an Australian, rather than a Brit, am I right that they can stay and work with no restrictions?

2) I guess its eventually possible to get NZ citizenship having entered as an Aus citizen? What sort of time frame and is it just a case of a certain length of time as a resident then lots of forms?

3) Bit more tricky maybe...... if the Aussie citizen has a partner, who is a Brit in Aus on a provisional/temp visa, awaiting grant of permanent residency, what's the best way in for that spouse? Can they enter and work purely as a result of being married to the Aussie?
Would they have to qualify in their own right for permission to work, as a Brit? Would they be better off waiting for the PR in Aus to be granted - I believe I'm right that they could then enter and work regardless of the marriage, due to holding Aus PR? Been going round in circles trying to work that one out for a friend, what we can't work out is whether having an Aussie spouse gets the Brit in to NZ without having to jump through the hoops involved with skills visas ( which he can't do, doesn't fit into any lists etc).

Thanks for any input, all appreciated!
Old Apr 5th 2014, 7:56 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to move to NZ from Aus.....

Immigration website has this.

http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1068

Looks like your partner will need to get PR from how I read it
Old Apr 5th 2014, 8:53 am
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to move to NZ from Aus.....

Originally Posted by MrsFychan View Post
Immigration website has this.

Looks like your partner will need to get PR from how I read it
Either that or the Aussie has to be an established resident, it seems

following the link I found
If your partner
holds a valid Australian passport but does not hold a current New Zealand residence permit or residence class visa or a current New Zealand returning resident’s visa, or
holds a New Zealand residence permit or returning resident’s visa which was issued on the basis that they were a holder of an Australian Permanent Residence Visa or an Australian Resident Return Visa,
they must provide evidence that New Zealand is their primary place of established residence at the time your application is made and assessed.

Thanks for the pointer, thats great