Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

How many points will I get as an Accountant?

How many points will I get as an Accountant?

Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Luke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant future
Default How many points will I get as an Accountant?

Just thinking about my chances of getting a visa and slightly confused about what points I would get? Does it matter that my degree is not in accountancy?

Age - 28
Degree - Bachelors (3yr) Engineering from Manchester uni
Job - Management accountant (CIMA qualified)
Been working as an accountant for 4 yrs but only became CIMA qualified 1 yr ago.
No job offer or family in NZ

Partner - Has a Manchester uni bachelors (3yr) degree and a masters (1yr) degree in subjects unrelated to job
Partner age - 29
partner job - university admin
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Luke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant future
Default Re: How many points will I get as an Accountant?

bump.

If anybody could help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 8:03 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

i would say if you haven't already done it, get yourself logged on to the new zealand immigration website and fill in the points checker... www.immigration.govt.nz - they'll fast tell you what points you'll get
Old Jun 26th 2008, 8:08 am
Account Closed

dunno specifically about accountancy, but assuming that your degree is a 'recognised' qualification (ie it's of a level and from a 'recognised' uni, which i guess it will be, but you can check on the immi website) you should probs get 50 points for it...

is accountancy on the skills shortage lists? if it is then your 'professional' accountancy quals will probably be worth some points too

your partners degree (if of a level and from a 'recognised' uni will be worth 50 points, but less if you make a joint application - think it's 20 as a partner) your partners masters would need to be assessesd by the nzqa before knowing if it was 'worth' anything

erm

try the immigration website!

hope that's helpful enough to point you in the right direction
Old Jun 26th 2008, 8:10 am
Account Closed

oo - hang on a minute.... i am of course assuming that you're thinking about skilled migrant route... of course there's the workng visa for under 30 year olds which you would both qualify for, so that might be an easier way to go for you?! (dunno about that, what with not 'qualifying' for it!!!)

again - the info is on the immigration.govt.nz website
Old Jun 26th 2008, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for the advice.

From the points calculator I get 125 points. Consdiering I have no job offer is it worth applying at this stage or would I really need the extra points of a job offer?

Also I have a question regarding the points for experience in an area of absolute skills shortage. Is this just for occupations on the long term list? My occupation is only on the short term list, so would these points not count (and hence I would have even less than 125!)
Old Jun 26th 2008, 11:27 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Luke Brown
Many thanks for the advice.

From the points calculator I get 125 points. Considering I have no job offer is it worth applying at this stage or would I really need the extra points of a job offer?
See below.

Originally Posted by Luke Brown
Also I have a question regarding the points for experience in an area of absolute skills shortage. Is this just for occupations on the long term list? My occupation is only on the short term list, so would these points not count (and hence I would have even less than 125!)
Points for experience in an area of absolute skill shortage is only for those occupations on the Long Term Shortage List.

Immediate Shortage List
Accountant (Chartered - Senior positions only) (221111)

New Zealand Institute of Charted Accountants

There is a section on overseas trained accountants applying for NZ membership following the required courses on NZ taxation etc.

Using the points indicator with the info you gave, you seem to still have over the 100 threshold.