How Many People found Jobs on-line

Old Jul 25th 2008, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

getmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud of
Default How Many People found Jobs on-line

Hi everyone

I just wondered - we've just had our EOI selected with NO job offer.

We were planning a reccie, but that's only planned for some time next year and we had originally discussed going over, looking for jobs on a 3 week holiday & hopefully securing some interviews and finding a job that way HOWEVER, now the thought of getting to NZ sooner is tempting us but there isn't any way to speed up the process unless you have a job offer.

I've got loads of references to these great websites that are packed with jobs that suit my OH's work experience/skills etc but I just wondered, in reality, what the chances were of finding a job on-line and getting invited to a telephone/video interview were and if anyone of you had done it this way.

Realistically, I realise that the chances are probably pretty slim unless you're in IT or have a skill that is hugely in demand - but OH is just an average Joe in the Environmetal Industry. However, I am really interested in hearing from those of you who have been lucky enough and what type of job it was?

Thanks for all your great help
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Soppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud of
Default Re: How Many People found Jobs on-line

My OH who is an electrician secured a job offer at the beginning of July which was applied for online. He had a 25 minute chat with the General Manager and he offered him the job there and then.

My sister and her husband both applied for jobs online, both had telephone interviews and both secured their jobs. My sister is a secondary school teacher and her husband is an HR Manager.

Good luck with the job hunting ...
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:01 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Average Joe, Thats me!!

When we started the process in 04 i was on a plumbing and domestic heating NVQ2 at UNI, whilst i was working as a roofer/tiler,i had also done a cirty and guilds in Machine woodworking, which at the time was on th shortage list, did the EOI got about 110 points no job offer , i was the main applicant, after a few days we were drawn out of the pool, and after some time i was told to verify my City and Guilds, so we did this NZQA online and after what seemed like ages were told that it needs to be a level 4 and only met a level 3, and its the highest you can get in UK, but they still said"dont pass go, do not collect 100pounds" you know the story, so there we had lost 60 points over night, what next, my plumbing quals ment nothing as did not have expereince to back it up, so lots of head banging, frustration and sleepless nights.
But i used to frequent ***** site and had listed my quals and that i was a roofer, one day i was looking at my emails and there were some from NZ address's, mmm i thought, so opened them, and low and behold a guy who was on ***** who was working as a roofer in NZ, put my details forward to the roofing company who he worked for, and things went from bad to good, got an interview over the phone, and my heart sank when they offered me$12.50ph, shit i thought, should i ask for more, i had heard people getting alot more than that!! well i did except the offer and got points back for job offer, but guess what?? roofing was not on the skills shortage list, back to square one, the Case officer told me that the company must write a letter explaining why the needed my skills, so after a e -mail with the HR guy at the firm, he sent a letter explaining that i had the skills they needed, he also lobbied the NZIS to put roofing on the shortage list and they did, so got correct points and off the ITA went and within 5 months of doing EOI, we got PRV blue stickers, and from the point of an average Joe, we did good, sold house in Poole, which funded our move to Dunedin South Island, amd as` house prices were affordable down here, we managed to buy it outright, ok not a flash house, and not in flash area, but its warma nd get all day sun, and point is its ours, my wife had the choice to do whatever she wanted to do for the future,a nd has now spent the last 2 years at UNI studying Counselling, finishes in NOv, and will look for work one day, we are back to UK Poole Dorset at Christmas this year to see folks after being here over 3 years now, i managed to start my own business and its something i would not have done in UK.

NZIS service throw lots of hurdles in your way, i'm sure just to see what resolve you have, many a time we thought " bugger this stress" but we kept on, well worth the effort if you really want it.

You only live once, and you have to ask yourself, do you fancy a change if life expereince, or do you want to be a " we were going to do that"??Yeh hindsight is a wonderful thing and there are many pitfals that we fall into on this journey, but they are ones that you can climb out of and get on with life, times are tough in NZ at mo with prices getting high on all things, but lifes easier to sustain in NZ on lower wages than in UK, kids stay kids for much longer and still play kids games at even teenager.

Nige Dunedin since May 05
Old Jul 27th 2008, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

getmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud of

Wow, these are such inspiring posts - thank you. Back to the websites then.
Nice to hear that success can be found if you search for it.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 7:30 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Also try the NZ yellow pages, i know people who got here by just e mailing firms from yellow pages that were in the line of work that they wanted, some will not reply, just dont put anything about being in UK and wanting to move to NZ in the mail at first.Puts some of them off a wee bit.