how long for work permits?

Old Oct 16th 2010, 4:41 am
Just Joined

glysen1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how long for work permits?

Hi, we are currently in NZ on a holiday visa but would love to stay permanently. Hubby almost got offered a job recently but employer was put off by the time taken to apply for a work visa. (He needed someone to start asap but hasn't actually had any applicants despite a few month's advertising)
Am I correct in thinking they could offer a 6 months contract which would allow hubby to apply without police & health records and would speed up application. Then if job works out they could offer a permanent position 'dependent on obtaining a suitable visa' which he could send off with an EOI as this would give us enough points to apply for PR?

Also, does anyone know how long the first option would take? I have heard it could be a matter of a couple of weeks but any info appreciated.

many thanks
Glysen
Old Oct 16th 2010, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long for work permits?

I have a 3 year work visa, obtained whilst in the UK.
From my application being received to my passport being returned with the visa stickers took 4 weeks and that included waiting a week or so for an extra letter to be sent regarding a medical condition and then that being assessed so a couple of weeks should do it.
I'm pretty sure they say 10-14 days on average on the Immigration web site.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 6:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

What are your trades/ occupations.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bev,

Hubby is a Carpenter/Joiner and I am a Project Coordinator.

What I am hoping is that we can convince the employer to grant him a 6 month contract that should only take a couple of weeks to sort out, they would normally have to do the labour market test but as they have already been advertising for a while they could send this in as proof?

Does that sound feasible?

thanks
Glysen
Old Oct 18th 2010, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by glysen1
Hi Bev,

Hubby is a Carpenter/Joiner and I am a Project Coordinator.

What I am hoping is that we can convince the employer to grant him a 6 month contract that should only take a couple of weeks to sort out, they would normally have to do the labour market test but as they have already been advertising for a while they could send this in as proof?

Does that sound feasible?

thanks
Glysen
We started off in NZ on a Visitor Permit as tourists and once my wife was offered a Job they needed her to start a.s.a.p.

We simply drove to Wellington with the Work Permit application in hand along with all supporting documentation (Medicals, Police Certificates, Passports etc etc) and went to the Immigration Offices.

We took a ticket, sat down.. were called in to a booth within less than 5 minutes and were back on the street with the work permit fixed firmly in her passport (we applied for mine and our two boy's permits a short while later) within less than an hour of arriving there.

There are of course exceptions - we arrived first thing in the morning and no one else was there but I'm guessing there are busy times when the wait can be substantial (I've heard tales of people having been turned away at really busy times though I'm not sure how true they are).

But all in all, with everything to hand, the work permit application process doesn't actually take very long at all.

Old Oct 23rd 2010, 8:40 am
Just Joined

mini stinky is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, any advice...

My work permit app went in 28/9/10, after we were told that it'd take 30 days for Auckland to process... handed it in, told 45 days for Manakau branch to process... rang yesterday to check up and told nothing's happened, could take up to 60 days!

I'm currently on the 1 year WHV (Bunac), teaching in a decile 1 school, my current permit runs out 7 Nov and Immigration told me I'd be unable to work until the end of November when my permit could be ready at the latest.

I'm really stressed out as haven't told my boss this as I thought it'd be done in time... is this normal for them to keep saying longer and longer when I'm already in the job?

Thanks!
My PR ITA is in but not with case officer yet, this is to bridge the gap...
Old Oct 24th 2010, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mini stinky
Hello, any advice...

My work permit app went in 28/9/10, after we were told that it'd take 30 days for Auckland to process... handed it in, told 45 days for Manakau branch to process... rang yesterday to check up and told nothing's happened, could take up to 60 days!

I'm currently on the 1 year WHV (Bunac), teaching in a decile 1 school, my current permit runs out 7 Nov and Immigration told me I'd be unable to work until the end of November when my permit could be ready at the latest.

I'm really stressed out as haven't told my boss this as I thought it'd be done in time... is this normal for them to keep saying longer and longer when I'm already in the job?

Thanks!
My PR ITA is in but not with case officer yet, this is to bridge the gap...
I think the sooner you tell your boss the better... I wonder if having your boss contacting them explaining how important you are to them might speed things up any... other than that as you're already in the system, I'm not sure there's very much you can do.

The Immigration Office in Wellington have the over-the-counter service but so far as I can tell the Auckland offices don't, so it's not like you have the ability to go and have it out with them face-to-face.

The timescales (Skilled Migrant) quoted on the immigration website relevant to the Auckland offices are as follows:

The combined performance for the Auckland-based branches as at 31 January 2010 is:

* 20% of applications decided within three months
* 58% of applications decided within six months
* 82% of applications decided within nine months
* All remaining applications decided within about a year.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 2:00 am
Just Joined

mini stinky is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I think you're right, I'll let her know asap and see if she can help out.

The timescales you gave are for residency I believe? This is for the permit to bridge me to whenever residency is ready...

Thanks!
Old Oct 24th 2010, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mini stinky
Thanks, I think you're right, I'll let her know asap and see if she can help out.

The timescales you gave are for residency I believe? This is for the permit to bridge me to whenever residency is ready...

Thanks!
RE: Timescales.

So they are - sorry, I overlooked that!
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Salisbury, UK to Auckland, NZ - now back in the UK!
celeliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the rough

I can feel your pain Mini Stinky...

I also submitted my work permit application and am still waiting to hear something... I know it's frustrating not knowing and also where you stand with your job etc.

My WHV finishes on 4th Feb 2011 so I was told to apply 60 days beforehand but I submitted it early just in case it gets referred to the Medical Assessor as I have a medical condition. Also, my boss would like to take me on for another 2 months so I have already explained the situation and will keep him updated when there is a progress.

Fingers crossed you wil hear something very soon
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks for this info, that is invaluable to know that we can drive to wellie and get it done there and then, may help our situation loads. Will let you know how we get on.... Cheers
Originally Posted by thedtb
We started off in NZ on a Visitor Permit as tourists and once my wife was offered a Job they needed her to start a.s.a.p.

We simply drove to Wellington with the Work Permit application in hand along with all supporting documentation (Medicals, Police Certificates, Passports etc etc) and went to the Immigration Offices.

We took a ticket, sat down.. were called in to a booth within less than 5 minutes and were back on the street with the work permit fixed firmly in her passport (we applied for mine and our two boy's permits a short while later) within less than an hour of arriving there.

There are of course exceptions - we arrived first thing in the morning and no one else was there but I'm guessing there are busy times when the wait can be substantial (I've heard tales of people having been turned away at really busy times though I'm not sure how true they are).

But all in all, with everything to hand, the work permit application process doesn't actually take very long at all.

Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by glysen1
Thanks for this info, that is invaluable to know that we can drive to wellie and get it done there and then, may help our situation loads. Will let you know how we get on.... Cheers
I hope it works out for you... if you happen to be travelling through Masterton to get there and want to meet up with a fellow expat family, give us a shout!