How long will it take and do EOIs count?

Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

nick99 is a jewel in the roughnick99 is a jewel in the roughnick99 is a jewel in the roughnick99 is a jewel in the roughnick99 is a jewel in the rough
Default How long will it take and do EOIs count?

I am a little confused on the EOI thing. My gf is applying for a work visa. She has a job offer from a accredited employer already. We agreed today not to book flights for end Jan in case the visa did not come through in time. The house sale completes (fingers crossed) late Jan so we want to fly out then.

The questions are - anyone else done the same application recently, how long did yours take?
And I am assuming EOIs don't come into it because of the job offer? The London NZ immigration site is not *completely* clear
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:02 pm
Family landed :)

newzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nice
Default Re: How long will it take and do EOIs count?

If you are just doing work visa then the EOI doesn't apply, but you would need a vistors visa or similar if you don't have a working visa.

For perm residency, you would still need to submit an EOI. For work to residency I wouldn't have a clue
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

nick99 is a jewel in the roughnick99 is a jewel in the roughnick99 is a jewel in the roughnick99 is a jewel in the roughnick99 is a jewel in the rough

Ok, thanks. She plans to take the completed application up to the London office and hopefully have someone look it over to make sure its completed ok. Timewise (like everyone else I guess) we just want to get it back asap. Luckily the employer seem to understand how long the process might take (4-12 weeks they thought) so are being flexible on a start date.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:28 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

An EOI is simply what it is - an Expression of Interest in immigrating to New Zealand. It gives you no right to work in New Zealand. However, if you have a job offer and NZIS approves and issues a temporary work visa (the work permit is stamped into your passport upon arrival) all systems are go - for the permit holder at least.

You mentioned that your girlfriend is the one with the job offer. Are you planning on joining her? If so, and if you want a work permit yourself you will need to show evidence to NZIS that you are in a de facto relationship of at least twelve months and you can get a work visa valid for the same length of time as your girlfriend. The only difference would be that you would be able to work for whomever at whatever whereas the girlfriend would be tied to the sponsoring employer.

Good luck.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Cheers for the info HappyNZ. I am planning on joining her but won't be working so will be going on a holiday 6 month no-visa trip. Hopefully to extend when I am out there, they said that would be ok probably. If not a quick trip to Oz is planned

Thanks for the comment about being in a 12 month relationship, I did not know they set some time criteria. I will make sure we are past that before I apply for a work permit when I'm there, if I do. We have applied for a joint NZ account already, that should help.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 5:35 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nick99
Cheers for the info HappyNZ. I am planning on joining her but won't be working so will be going on a holiday 6 month no-visa trip. Hopefully to extend when I am out there, they said that would be ok probably. If not a quick trip to Oz is planned
I believe you have to be out of NZ for as long as you are in it, to stay there as a visitor. ie. You can't just hop over to Oz and back again, just to get your passport re-stamped, it doesn't work like that.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Hi Maz. I think it does actually, I have been advised to do that by a few people, including a kiwi and also a brit who actually did it. And the brit came back into nz after a few days in Oz they stamped her passport for another year (rather than six months).

Of course, things could have changed now but as I wrote I hope just to be able to extend it without any trip