British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   How long for VISA etc.? Complete NOOB! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/how-long-visa-etc-complete-noob-697085/)

rick78 Dec 15th 2010 5:44 pm

How long for VISA etc.? Complete NOOB!

Hi all,

I'm in the process of applying for a few jobs in NZ and have had favourable responses which is great. The people I've spoken to already employ a few Brits (its quite common for them to recruit us!) and didn't seem to think this would cause any issues. However during the application process there was a pre-screening question asking whether I was legally entitled to work in NZ... which of course I'm not.

I was under the impression that I could apply for a job, have an interview (if chosen), and then if I were offered a position I could then apply for a VISA/permit.

Is this generally how its done? How long does this process generally take, rough ball park figures?

Cheers,
R.

rick78 Dec 15th 2010 6:48 pm

Re: How long for VISA etc.? Complete NOOB!

Forgot to add - my profession is on the shortage list and both my wife and I are educated to doctoral level.

How long would a residency application take?

BEVS Dec 15th 2010 7:23 pm

Yes. It is job offer first and then one applies for the temp work visa .
You could also submit an Expression of Interest for PR

Processing times vary from application to application.
London Office does give a rough guide to this HERE

You can gain a little time by submitting your application in person at NZ house in London. An NZIS officer will go through your paperwork at your request which ensures you have given everything needed for a smooth application.

HTH

robbyarg Dec 19th 2010 6:44 am

If they give you a JOB OFFER, you can apply and get points for skilled employment, lodge the EOI, and then the PR. You are likely to get it pretty quickly for your PR VISA if you get the job offer.

Originally Posted by rick78 (Post 9042365)
Hi all,

I'm in the process of applying for a few jobs in NZ and have had favourable responses which is great. The people I've spoken to already employ a few Brits (its quite common for them to recruit us!) and didn't seem to think this would cause any issues. However during the application process there was a pre-screening question asking whether I was legally entitled to work in NZ... which of course I'm not.

I was under the impression that I could apply for a job, have an interview (if chosen), and then if I were offered a position I could then apply for a VISA/permit.

Is this generally how its done? How long does this process generally take, rough ball park figures?

Cheers,
R.

rick78 Jan 10th 2011 8:04 am

Thanks for info guys.

They seem positive and have a telephone interview on Wednesday evening... wish me luck.

4pommes Jan 10th 2011 1:31 pm

Good luck then!!! keep us posted....

rick78 Jan 12th 2011 10:02 pm

All done... I think it went well, I waffled a bit here and there but I was a little nervous!

It was an hour and a bit all together... they've asked for references and will let me know in two weeks.

Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

BEVS Jan 12th 2011 10:45 pm

:fingerscrossed:

pasturesnew Jan 16th 2011 9:50 pm

Hello all,

I read this thread with interest, as I do with most of those on this forum. After which I carried out a little research on this issue of being legally entitled to work in NZ. Prompting my research is my current lack of paid contracts here in the UK.

I looked at several Accredited Employers in NZ and noted several positions, which I could apply for. In each case it states either on the website or the application form 'You must have the right to live and work in this country to apply for this job'.

As an exercise, I wrote to one of them last week; quite a detailed, but concise email, and received an initial response from a member of the admin team dealing with such enquiries, informing me that my questions / concern had been passed to the person concerned, as well as the HR section. I have yet to receive any reply and the closing date looms, which is currently not a massive issue, since this is merely research at this point.

So, although the above thread appears to contain very sensible and correct advice, which I would follow under normal circumstances, I have come up against this issue of legality, as did the person starting this thread, which stops an application in its tracks, in this case.

Therefore, are we left to consider that a work visa should be applied for ahead of applying for paid employment in NZ, which would include the expense of Xrays / Police Clearance etc...???

BEVS Jan 16th 2011 10:02 pm

Therefore, are we left to consider that a work visa should be applied for ahead of applying for paid employment in NZ
No.

Yes. Correct.

pasturesnew Jan 16th 2011 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9106545)
No.

Yes. Correct.

Hello Bevs,

Yes, I understand your response, as far as it goes.

Question; How does one then get around (if that is the correct terminology) the legality requirement questions set by employers / accredited employers, which appear to block an individual applying for a position of interest in NZ, from overseas?

BEVS Jan 17th 2011 12:41 am

The HR of an NZIS accredited employers should know that it is a firm job offer first and then a work visa application.

For other NZ employers , it will be up to you to educate them about how NZIS works when it comes to issuing temporary work visas.

rick78 Jan 17th 2011 7:53 pm

So update, at least one of my referees have been contacted (the second probably won't let me know, and I've requested that only the third be contacted if its offered for fear of causing awkwardness at work).

Excited :)

I've done a quick points estimate and if a job offer is in place I'll have 195 points.

Fingers crossed.

rick78 Jan 19th 2011 8:11 pm

JOB HAS BEEN OFFERED! YEY!

Well excited... have relocation expenses (flights for all of us, 2200NZD help with shipping, 6 weeks worth of accommodation when we arrive) and a decent starting salary.

So... am I right in thinking this is the order I have to do things:

EOI - 440
Application - 1050
Medicals - Budgeting 550 (2 adults and 1 under 5)
X-rays - 150
Migrant Levy - 380
Police - 80

Am I missing anything? These are approx prices I have found... do they seem sensible? All in GBP.

Something else I was thinking about was Passports... my wife and mine expires 2016 but little 'uns expires Jan 2012... is this likely to cause any issues?

Right... off to the immigration website for a proper nosey around :)

rick78 Jan 20th 2011 8:24 pm

I think the EOI price I just quoted was in NZ$

So I've started to fill in my EOI... we have 205 points now between us and with my job offer.

The EOI is certainly a long form... need lots of information... but it appears its only scratching the surface before the big application!