British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   How long to get a Work to Residence visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/how-long-get-work-residence-visa-629428/)

wigmore. Sep 6th 2009 6:21 pm

How long to get a Work to Residence visa

Hi,

Could someone please advise on how long it will take to get a work to residence visa. I am aiming that I want to be in NZ for mid january -february. Any advice greatly appreciated.

aalls73 Sep 6th 2009 7:20 pm

Re: How long to get a Work to Residence visa

Hi There,

We came over on the Skilled Migrant?Skills Shortage WTR Visa all in all it took us 8days to get our visa... That included Police Checks, Medicals and them sending it back to us and us sending it back again...

Originally Posted by wigmore. (Post 7909255)
Hi,

Could someone please advise on how long it will take to get a work to residence visa. I am aiming that I want to be in NZ for mid january -february. Any advice greatly appreciated.

wigmore. Sep 6th 2009 8:14 pm

Hi,

Thanks for that, wow is all I can say that was quick. One more question sorry did you organise it from the UK or were you in NZ?

I think I am now at the stage where I know I am making the right decision about migrating to NZ, but am actually petrified of not having enough time to organise the move, worried about not getting a job, even though my occupation is on the long term skills shortage list. Im sure I am worrying for nothing.

aalls73 Sep 6th 2009 10:09 pm

Hi yeah your worrying for nothing if you can secure a job with an accreditated emplyer you'll be sweet we did it all from the UK just went on the internet and found a job after loads of emails and a skype interview we decided not to go down thhe EOI route and just go for it, but 1 thing i would say is if you have the time and plenty of points go the EOI route!! or apply for residency as soon as you get here so you don't have to pay out again for police checks/medicals etc....

Originally Posted by wigmore. (Post 7909421)
Hi,

Thanks for that, wow is all I can say that was quick. One more question sorry did you organise it from the UK or were you in NZ?

I think I am now at the stage where I know I am making the right decision about migrating to NZ, but am actually petrified of not having enough time to organise the move, worried about not getting a job, even though my occupation is on the long term skills shortage list. Im sure I am worrying for nothing.

wigmore. Sep 6th 2009 10:21 pm

Hi,

Thanks for that, think it will not too much hassle or problem securing a job as seem to be plenty of social work vacancies around.

Decided to employ a migration agent, but to be honest she has confused me as I thought well if i get a job offer it would be better to apply for a work permit and then on the back of that apply straight for PR. She has said no though, she thinks the better route to go down is the WTR, still will wait and see how she gets on.

aalls73 Sep 6th 2009 10:28 pm

Oh well personally i think that they are a waste of time why pay some for something that is not that difficult to do your selves!!
you should try: http://www.seek.co.nz/jobsearch/inde...archtype=again

and: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...ocial%20worker

Originally Posted by wigmore. (Post 7909683)
Hi,

Thanks for that, think it will not too much hassle or problem securing a job as seem to be plenty of social work vacancies around.

Decided to employ a migration agent, but to be honest she has confused me as I thought well if i get a job offer it would be better to apply for a work permit and then on the back of that apply straight for PR. She has said no though, she thinks the better route to go down is the WTR, still will wait and see how she gets on.

BEVS Sep 6th 2009 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by wigmore. (Post 7909683)
Hi,

Your choice.
I hope the agent is NZ licensed.

IMVHO it is always best to go straight for PR if you can.

You can apply using a WTR visa per your agents suggestion . After all it is only a form of temporary work visa and then once arrived, apply under the SMC for PR.

adamlt1972 Sep 7th 2009 7:00 am

You'll get into the country quicker with a Work to Residence. As one of the posters above indicated, you can get a WTR visa very quickly. To be honest I think its quicker to apply from the UK, I applied for mine from Australia, and the hassle of relying on international post for the Police Check (mine was lost in the post) to be sent over to the UK, get processed and then come back was the biggest delay.
The weakness of the WTR visa is that you're tied to your employer. if it doesn't work out for whatever reason then your visa status is in trouble. Your best bet may be to do what I'm doing, come over on a WTR, and then apply straightwaway for Residency via the EOI/points system route.