British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   How long to get my passport back from an application (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/how-long-get-my-passport-back-application-813858/)

Engel Nov 1st 2013 7:43 am

How long to get my passport back from an application

I am working in Auckland on a one year work visa and am applying for residency. Any idea how long I will be without a passport when I mail it off?

My work visa was an eleven day turn round in London, but I am not sure if they keep everything for months or just copy if and return it.

Anyone got any experience of this?

MrsFychan Nov 1st 2013 7:58 am

Re: How long to get my passport back from an application

why aren't you applying from Auckland Immigration office??

Engel Nov 1st 2013 8:56 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10972105)
why aren't you applying from Auckland Immigration office??

I am. But since I have not used them before I was asking how long it would take. I can only use my experience with London. So, have you any idea how long it will take at Auckland?

The chap I spoke to at the immigration office in Auckland indicated that it may be three months before anyone looks at my case and 6-9 month before it is resolved. I did not ask if Ithey would keep everything for all that time. However the office is now closed for the weekend I was just about to post my papers when I realised I may be without a passport when I need to fly out of the country.

Engel Nov 1st 2013 9:18 am

I just spoke to the London office and they say it will be about six months. Argh!

How can you manage without a passport for six months. No trips to Oz or back to the UK for Christmas. I already had a return ticket booked from last May.

My only hope is that they will extend my EOI. I glad I checked before I posted my passport.

Persephone Nov 1st 2013 3:01 pm

You send a certified copy of your passport and keep the actual document yourself.
A JP, lawyer or an immigration officer can certify a photocopy. It should be free of charge if done by an immigration officer and should be minimal cost if done by the others.
I got mine done in London 5yr ago, cost was £2 per copy so it shouldn't be outrageous!

Alternatively, if they have your passport then you can request it back. Far easier not to send it in in the first place;)
Obviously you have to send it in to get the resident visa stuck in but that's right at the end.

If you mean extend the ITA time, I'd say probably not likely to happen as you can do the above

MrsFychan Nov 1st 2013 8:00 pm

thats what we did, certified copies. then when approved and reapproved we took the passports in and had them back within 2 days, that was at the Wellington office

rossojo Nov 1st 2013 9:06 pm

When we sent our application to Christchurch, we received all the documents back straight away, within a couple of days. We then had to send our passports back in for the stickers. We've had residency just over a month now :)

Engel Nov 2nd 2013 12:01 am

Sounds good. Know anyone in North Shore who can certify?

rossojo Nov 2nd 2013 3:22 am

Do a google search for Justice of the Peace - they don't usually charge for the service.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Ju...re&safe=active

Lb welly Dec 8th 2013 8:42 pm

Notary public is needed for visa.
Mine cost £70 for first document then £15 for every subsequent!

Persephone Dec 9th 2013 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Lb welly (Post 11026568)
Notary public is needed for visa.
Mine cost £70 for first document then £15 for every subsequent!

Not true.
A notary public can certify documents but it is a very expensive way to go about it. A normal solicitor is perfectly acceptable when it comes to certifying things like passports and degree certificates for immigration purposes-cost was £2 a copy for me.

I had to use a notary public when I registered with my professional council as that was all they would accept. This was nothing to do with INZ however.

A13.1.5 Certified copies
a. Certified copies must be stamped or endorsed as being true copies of the originals by a person authorised by law to take statutory declarations in the applicant's country or in New Zealand.
Examples: a lawyer, notary public, Justice of the Peace, or court official.
b. If certified copies are supplied, immigration officers may also request the original documents.
c. An immigration officer may certify photocopies submitted with the original document if they are satisfied that the copy agrees with the original in essential details.
d. If the actioning immigration officer is satisfied that the copy is a true copy, they must write on it:
i the words "original sighted"; and
ii their initials; and
iii the date.
e. An immigration officer should accept faxed copies of certified documents only if the originals, or certified copies, are then submitted at the earliest opportunity.
f. Documents with evidence of having been tampered with, or unofficially altered, must be referred to an immigration officer, with Schedule 1-3 delegations, who will decide what further action to take.