British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   How long from EOI to being ITA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/how-long-eoi-being-ita-490956/)

Wiz'n'Ton Nov 1st 2007 9:16 am

How long from EOI to being ITA?

Looks like we may be using a change of tack re our application for residency. We were originally going to go through the 'Talent' visa via company sponsorship, but following some startling revelations from an NZ immigration official we are going to go down the EOI route.

Only snag is, our current visas expire in mid Jan 08. If we submit EOI now, and given that we are in NZ right now, how long from submitting an EOI xan we expect to wait for an ITA? We seem to have a solid 170 points. Any longer than 2 months start to finish and I feel that there are going to be tears before bedtime.

Anyone got any experience or advice on this?

Cheers folks,

Wiz

Maz Nov 1st 2007 9:28 am

Re: How long from EOI to being ITA?

Can't help you with your query I'm afraid, but can you divulge what the "startling revelations" were? I'm going through the talent and WTR route.

Thanks!

Wiz'n'Ton Nov 1st 2007 9:44 am

Well I was always under the impression that to go down the 'skilled' route you needed a job on the shortage lists.

Not so! If I have job that could in any way be construed as being 'skilled' then - and I quote the immigration lady here - 'I would stake my life on you being accepted with zero problems'.

All I could say was 'WOW!'

'Skilled' she said, apparently means that you are not a complete knuckle head with shyte for brains and who stacks shelves at Pac'n'Save. It does not mean that you have to be a dentist, brickie, or physio. Go to the EOI, search for jobs that relate to you (and there are shit loads to chose from under the second page of the skilled employement section.

Yes - you do either need a job, or the offer of one, in that area, but then it's battle over and the war may soon be won.

Another reason for folks with a bit of bottle to get off their arses and come to NZ, then secure a job, get a visa the next day, start work and then submit their EOI.

Immigration lady then called me today to advise on the stream I should use - how cool is that?!

I tell you what, it's nice have 'somone on the inside'! :)

Maz Nov 1st 2007 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 5496662)
Well I was always under the impression that to go down the 'skilled' route you needed a job on the shortage lists.

Not so! If I have job that could in any way be construed as being 'skilled' then - and I quote the immigration lady here - 'I would stake my life on you being accepted with zero problems'.

'Skilled' she said, apparently means that you are not a complete knuckle head with shyte for brains and who stacks shelves at Pac'n'Save. It does not mean that you have to be a dentist, brickie, or physio. Go to the EOI, search for jobs that relate to you (and there are shit loads to chose from under the second page of the skilled employement section.

Yes - you do either need a job, or the offer of one, in that area, but then it's battle over and the war may soon be won.

Another reason for folks with a bit of bottle to get off their arses and come to NZ, then secure a job, get a visa the next day, start work and then submit their EOI.

Immigration lady then called me today to advise on the stream I should use - how cool is that?!

Aaah well the whole EOI and points thing also depends on one's degree. I don't have the "right" degree so I am going the talent route with an offer from an accredited employer, and WTR. Residence in 2 years' time, flows naturally. Absolutely no point in my trying for PR through EOI just to save one year.

happynz Nov 1st 2007 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 5496662)

'Skilled' she said, apparently means that you are not a complete knuckle head with shyte for brains and who stacks shelves at Pac'n'Save. It does not mean that you have to be a dentist, brickie, or physio. Go to the EOI, search for jobs that relate to you (and there are shit loads to chose from under the second page of the skilled employment section.

Yup, that's how it worked in my case. Thank goodness my degree is in Liberal Arts (the nadir of waffley degrees). My job at the time was an English language teacher which basically means I talked rubbish and encouraged students to express rubbish in a coherent manner. My Liberal Arts degree was quite relevent to my job.
;)

Wiz'n'Ton Nov 1st 2007 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5496983)
Aaah well the whole EOI and points thing also depends on one's degree. I don't have the "right" degree so I am going the talent route with an offer from an accredited employer, and WTR. Residence in 2 years' time, flows naturally. Absolutely no point in my trying for PR through EOI just to save one year.

You sure Maz - I get points for my Degree in Marine Biology - and I am in recruitment and being processed as such?!?! :)

BEVS Nov 1st 2007 10:14 pm

Very interesting thread.

Keep us updated Wiz.

I think that if you are at managerial level, that is classed as skilled. N'est pas?:blink: Isn't there something, somewhere about professionals.
I know of a travel agent and a hairdresser that gained PR. Both were given jobs that put them at managing the shop, rather than just working in it.

Will your employer have to seek an Approval In Principle from NZIS Wiz ?

On the subject of the EOI to ITA. I have also been speaking with an NZIS officer this week. It seems there can be some considerable wait so perhaps you should renew your work permits.

The officer told me that most all of the verification is now done at the EOI stage . Previously, EOIs were given preliminary checks and then verification happened at ITA stage. This verification is done at the Christchurch office by dedicated verification officers. These officers have no contact with the applicants. The idea is to streamline and speed up the process for those applicants that are going to be successful.

As you have an EOI in the system Wiz, you should go for a years work permit to allow for the time line fromEOI to PR. According to the NZIS officer , one can write a letter, to go with the work permit renewal, asking for a waiver from paying for and doing medicals until you receive your ITA. They should grant it all being well given that medicals only last for three months.

UKNZAUS Nov 2nd 2007 1:12 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5499352)

The officer told me that most all of the verification is now done at the EOI stage . Previously, EOIs were given preliminary checks and then verification happened at ITA stage. This verification is done at the Christchurch office by dedicated verification officers. These officers have no contact with the applicants. The idea is to streamline and speed up the process for those applicants that are going to be successful.

We've done the same! We were also verified at the EOI stage, they took 2 weeks in between selection and receiving the ITA :D Now we wait.....

Wiz'n'Ton Nov 2nd 2007 1:44 am

Thanks Bevs & Michelle&Carl, that all sounds reasonably positive then. Once we have the EOI in (submitting over the weekend) we should be pulled from the pool this Wednesday which is the next selection day. If they do invite us to apply within 2 weeks, then cool bananas. The medicals and X-rays have been done, and are ready to go. Our emmig agent in the UK is finally going to be worth something, and will prepare our entire ITA paperwork and send it to us to submit ourselves here in ChCh. Just the police checks to go (cross fingers they'll arrive in 2 weeks or so) and we'll be underway by end of Nov. Then it's just wait for the cogs to grind.

So, to cover ourselves from Jan onwards, what visa and permit might we need to apply for, and when should we get it???? I've not even looked at this....? :confused:

Can anyone confirm that the 2 weeks from EOI to ITA a la Michelle&Carl is not a complete freak event?

Cheers folks, I knew I could rely on you :thumbsup:

Wiz'n'Ton Nov 2nd 2007 2:08 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5499352)
Very interesting thread.

Keep us updated Wiz.

I think that if you are at managerial level, that is classed as skilled. N'est pas?:blink: Isn't there something, somewhere about professionals.
I know of a travel agent and a hairdresser that gained PR. Both were given jobs that put them at managing the shop, rather than just working in it.

Will your employer have to seek an Approval In Principle from NZIS Wiz ?

You are completely right about the 'skilled' class - that's what I was incoherantly babbling about earlier. So long as you are even slightly 'skilled' (and there is even conjecture within NZIS as to exactly what 'skilled' means) and there is a good chance that you can back it up with some relevant work experience (the example she used was an 'IT Technician' with IT experience in the UK and a job offer of installing Pac'n'Save checkout machines here in NZ - they'd consider that skilled. However, operating the checkout machine would not be considered skilled) means that you have a good punt at getting through the ITA stage.

Your 'managing the shop, not working in it' is a great example of this BEVShere.

As I have no idea what an Approval In Principle from NZIS is, I'll have to pass on that until it jumps up and bites me on my big fat arse :rofl: Can you educate me?

BEVS Nov 2nd 2007 2:38 am

It is where your employer shows that they have no current and equivalent NZ resident for the job.

NZIS WORK FORMS

Your forms are the first ones - 1015.

The employers would be supplementary form - 1113

This is if you are applying under the General Work policy. What permit do you currently have?

I would suggest that if your occupation doesn't appear on the shortages lists, then perhaps you should have the employer fill out the form .
Someone else may know differently.

NZIS recommend one month or longer before expiry of work permits.

Wiz'n'Ton Nov 2nd 2007 2:41 am

Hey, anything that helps, I'll do. Cheers for that, will run it past my boss.

Ta :)

BEVS Nov 2nd 2007 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 5500059)
Hey, anything that helps, I'll do. Cheers for that, will run it past my boss.

Ta :)

Wiz. If you were with this employer when you first applied for your work permits, he will have filled out a 1113 at the same time if it was necessary. ;)

Wiz'n'Ton Nov 2nd 2007 3:11 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5500068)
Wiz. If you were with this employer when you first applied for your work permits, he will have filled out a 1113 at the same time if it was necessary. ;)

We got the job on our working holiday visas, so no need for one. Looks like there is now though.

BEVS Nov 2nd 2007 3:16 am

:thumbup: