British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   How long does Residence Visa application take? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/how-long-does-residence-visa-application-take-586638/)

Beeka Jan 24th 2009 7:24 am

How long does Residence Visa application take?

Hi everyone

I need some advice please! I submitted my application for an NZ Residence Visa last week (via the Family/ Partnership catergory as my partner is kiwi). I thought it would all be very straight forward and get it within a few months. My current Work Visa expires on 1 June 2009 you see.

However, NZ Immigration wrote back saying due to an overwhelming number of applications, it may be 6 to 9 months before my application is passed to a case worker. Then I have no idea how long it takes to process after that!

Can anyone tell me what my options are? I am happily settled in NZ, renting a house for 18 months now with my partner, working freelance for his company and we even have a dog together. I don't wanna be kicked out the country for 6+ months.... Help!

I was going to write to Immigration but though you guys might have some advice for me first. Maybe there is some in-between visa I need to get?

(I also have travel plans to go to the UK on 21 July, returning 23 August - should I look at bringing them forward so I leave NZ before 1 June as per my work visa? And will they let me back in!?)

Thanks so much for any advice or personal experience you can offer.

Becky

NakiMan Jan 24th 2009 8:10 am

Re: How long does Residence Visa application take?

hi
I was in a very similar position to you, except that I was here on a visitors visa with my Kiwi partner.

As you can see from my signature, I applied for PR in January 2007 and was told that it would take 9 to 12 months. In the end it took 7 months.

When my visitors visa was close to expiry, I talked to NZIS and they sugested that I apply for a work visa, even though I had no job, and no intention of getting one. Even so, they issued me with a work visa within 10 days, valid for 2 years.

So my advice is to talk to NZIS, ive always found them unfailingly helpful.

Hope this helps

Beeka Jan 24th 2009 9:07 am

Thanks NakiMan! That is incredibly helpful!! :)

NakiMan Jan 24th 2009 7:19 pm

Your welcome.

I suspect that if you apply for PR under the partnership stream, (and can prove that you're in a genuine relationship) NZIS are very, very unlikely to turn it down.

If they can see that you've applied in good time, you're genuine and the delay is only due to having to wait in the queue, then they will do their best to help you out.

Lets face it, its not in either parties interest to let you fall foul of the immigration laws.

Beeka Jan 24th 2009 9:43 pm

That is a relief... :thumbup:

Beeka Jan 26th 2009 10:43 pm

Hey NakiMan

I just spoke to Immigration - they said I should apply for a new Work Visa in April.

They will have my medical and police certs on file BUT I do have to prove my relationship with my partner all over again. Did you have to do this too? :(

Ah well I suppose it's better than the alternative...

Beeka Jan 26th 2009 11:52 pm

That last bit didn't sit right based on what you said earlier so I phoned again and spoke to a different person at Immigration NZ...

This time they said I can just fill out the Work Visa application and put a cover letter saying all the supporting documents (including partnership evidence) is included with my Residence Application.

This is me now: :eek:

NakiMan Jan 27th 2009 6:34 am

good on yer, mate :thumbsup:

glad you got it sorted out

In my case they didn't ask for further evidence of our relationship when I applied for a work permit. Later, when I got assigned a case officer, they did, but thats another story

Beeka Apr 19th 2009 12:34 am

Thought this info might help anyone else in my situation....

I did apply for a new Work Visa and they said I needed a new Work Permit too, which cost several hundred dollars all up, and would tide me over for another 12 months in NZ. That arrived within about 2 weeks!

Then a week later I found I had been assigned a case manager for my full Residence Visa, which I was expecting to take 6-9 months! And the whole thing got approved in another 2 weeks! Hurrah! :)

I was a bit gutted that they led me up the garden path re timing, and made me pay for another Work Visa and Permit which was completely unnecessary. But at the same time I can't really complain because all they have done is overdeliver on my original expectations... which is GOOD. :p

newkiwi Apr 24th 2009 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Beeka (Post 7492150)
Thought this info might help anyone else in my situation....

I did apply for a new Work Visa and they said I needed a new Work Permit too, which cost several hundred dollars all up, and would tide me over for another 12 months in NZ. That arrived within about 2 weeks!

Then a week later I found I had been assigned a case manager for my full Residence Visa, which I was expecting to take 6-9 months! And the whole thing got approved in another 2 weeks! Hurrah! :)

I was a bit gutted that they led me up the garden path re timing, and made me pay for another Work Visa and Permit which was completely unnecessary. But at the same time I can't really complain because all they have done is overdeliver on my original expectations... which is GOOD. :p

Congratulations..

What probably happened is they had to pull your file to get your new work permit approved, and the officer must have had a nice weekend or a nice cup of coffee that morning, and since the file was out anyway...looked at the residency applicaition as well, all straight forward and hey presto. Too much of a coincidene otherwise i think. Who knows how these decisions affecting people's lives are made behind the scenes anyway.....

Pity bout the extra money though, but im sure in the long run its worth getting your residency.