British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   How long does an ITA last for? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/how-long-does-ita-last-636945/)

mudblood21 Oct 21st 2009 11:36 pm

How long does an ITA last for?

Being very optimistic here, hoping that our ITA will be approved. I am still waiting on new passports for the children and haven't even submitted it yet.

anyway.... need something to worry about!

Having read that some folks have had their approvals come through far quicker than expected (in one case days rather than months), I was wondering if anyone can tell me:-

We are applying for permanent residence. Is there a timescale within which one is expected to appear in NZ if the ITA is approved? Obviously I would like to get over there ASAP in any case, but i was just wondering if there were any limitations.

ta
Jax

Persephone Oct 21st 2009 11:56 pm

Re: How long does an ITA last for?

Hi
Worrying is just a normal part of the whole process:sneaky:

You have 4months to return your ITA back to NZIS. Once they decide to issue you PR [approved in principle] you have 6m to send in your passports and the migrant levy to get the stickers in your passport and then 12m after that to enter NZ to activate your visa. So getting on for 18m to get here should you need it.
If they decide to give you a WTR visa instead then you have 3m to get the visas and only 3m to get here so only 6m.
Hope this helps
Sue:D

mudblood21 Oct 22nd 2009 4:43 pm

Many thanks, Sue. I'm all sorted out now!
:thumbsup:
Jax

Kija Oct 22nd 2009 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 8035019)
Hi
Worrying is just a normal part of the whole process:sneaky:

You have 4months to return your ITA back to NZIS. Once they decide to issue you PR [approved in principle] you have 6m to send in your passports and the migrant levy to get the stickers in your passport and then 12m after that to enter NZ to activate your visa. So getting on for 18m to get here should you need it.
If they decide to give you a WTR visa instead then you have 3m to get the visas and only 3m to get here so only 6m.
Hope this helps

:eek: Wot?! They can decide to give you a WTR visa instead of PR??

Persephone Oct 23rd 2009 12:28 am

Don't worry Kija!
Yes they can issue you a WTR visa but it is different to the other WTR visa;)
If they do, you have 3m to get the stickers in your passports then another 3m to enter NZ. You then have 9m to find a suitable job and you can convert to PR after working in that job for 3m.
I don't know how often they issue the WTR visa- I got PR without having a job offer and I even said in the interview that I hadn't started looking at that point in time! Though did give a long explanation why and what my plans were in terms of jobhunting;)
You do know there'll be an interview don't you?:p

mudblood21 Oct 23rd 2009 8:14 pm

do they need everyone at the interview, or just the principal applicant?

If my daughter wants to finish her degree in the UK, will that affect her chances of her keeping hold of residency / getting citizenship?

Kija Oct 28th 2009 11:43 am

Our advisor said they only interview the principle applicant but I read on the website family members (included in the application) can participate too.

Persephone when I expressed my concerns to our advisor she said that because OH is in the skilled migrant category with no job offer he would be offered PR, but then when I read stuff here and on the NZIS website, it doesn't seem to be sure what we'll get (if we get anything). It's all rather confusing :confused: If we do get offered WTR that would be difficult for us because I doubt there is any way we could get everything sorted to leave in 6 months :eek:

Persephone Oct 28th 2009 11:20 pm

Hi Kija,
I wouldn't worry too much, it does seem from reading posts on here that very few get offered WTR, just about all seem to get PR. As I said I got PR and didn't have a job offer at the time:thumbsup: Not sure what criteria they use to determine it though.