How long does it all take?

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

JoFo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long does it all take?

<waves>

Hello - complete newby here

My husband-to-be and I have been talking about emigrating from the UK to NZ for a few years now - we are waiting to get married (Sept 1st), and then rebuild our savings before applying.

Our aim is to be out in NZ by 2010 (nice round number, plus John will be 34 that year, and I will be 29, so we will both be coming up to an age jump...)

However, I don't know how quickly we need to get the ball rolling? How long does the process take from start to finish? And I know that it like asking how long a piece of string is, but some vague ideas of when we would need to start the process would help.

John *might* be able to get a company transfer (although I don't know how that would work ), as he works for Axa in Bristol, and there is an office in Wellington. However, neither of us have "useful" qualifications - my degree was in History and his was in French and Russian Is that likely to put a spanner in the works?

What is the likelihood of me being able to get a job from overseas? Would we have to pay life and soul to an agency to be able to secure one, or do employers not mind someone who is going through the immigration process? I have info that was linked off from the Immigrate NZ website (including a jobs page), but I don't want to start talking to employers until I'm ready to pack my bags and get going (back to the first question again...!)

I'm sorry for so many questions from a newby, but I'm hoping that some kind person will be able to help me out!

Many thanks
Jo
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of
Default Re: How long does it all take?

Hi to you,
It depends what route you want to take to get into NZ. PR takes longer and WTR takes not very long at all. Your hubby to be could get in on a work permit so you could be there quickly not worrying to much about the points and then apply for residence when you get there. So you need to decide the best route for you. Some emigration agents actually offer free advice til you sign up with them so its possible to find out where you stand before you start.

Getting a job overseas is difficult as many employers like to see you face to face. However it is possible and many do. My hubby had his interview through Skype and got the job so never say never.
I am sure others will comment more and know a lot more than I but good luck anyway. You have taken the first step by deciding to go.

Last edited by ezzkazz; Apr 23rd 2007 at 7:51 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:58 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by JoFo
<waves>

Hello - complete newby here
Hello.

My husband-to-be and I have been talking about emigrating from the UK to NZ for a few years now - we are waiting to get married (Sept 1st), and then rebuild our savings before applying.
First, congratulations on your impending nuptials. May your evenings be full of nupt.

Our aim is to be out in NZ by 2010 (nice round number, plus John will be 34 that year, and I will be 29, so we will both be coming up to an age jump...)

However, I don't know how quickly we need to get the ball rolling? How long does the process take from start to finish? And I know that it like asking how long a piece of string is, but some vague ideas of when we would need to start the process would help.

John *might* be able to get a company transfer (although I don't know how that would work ), as he works for Axa in Bristol, and there is an office in Wellington. However, neither of us have "useful" qualifications - my degree was in History and his was in French and Russian Is that likely to put a spanner in the works?
Maybe, maybe not. I have a degree in Liberal Arts from a 4th tier university in the US and I got PR, so who knows?

What is the likelihood of me being able to get a job from overseas? Would we have to pay life and soul to an agency to be able to secure one, or do employers not mind someone who is going through the immigration process? I have info that was linked off from the Immigrate NZ website (including a jobs page), but I don't want to start talking to employers until I'm ready to pack my bags and get going (back to the first question again...!)
Maybe in the meantime you and your husband-to-be could upgrade your qualifications to something that is listed on the skills shortage list.
As for getting a job, I think most employers like to see who they are hiring. A recce out to Aotearoa and face-to-face interviews are always an advantage. So, paying a fortune to an agency isn't necessary -- a fortune in airfares, well maybe.

I'm sorry for so many questions from a newby, but I'm hoping that some kind person will be able to help me out!
No worries. Get those questions together and fire away!

Many thanks
Jo
de nada. suerte.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies!
Quick post whilst I'm at work, so I'll pop back on later (probably tomorrow evening when I've got uninterrupted access...) to reply better, but just wanted to say "thank you" and that they are appreciated!
Old Apr 28th 2007, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Its taken us about 10 months from start to finish for PR without job offers.
Old May 1st 2007, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

It took us 3 months from EOI to visas in hand with job offers, but we are on the shortage list.
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Tentun will become famous soon enough

Hi there

Congratulations and hello.

Well, I can only go on what I've been told as we are only part way through the process ourselves.

We have gone for the PR route because hubby is on the skills shortage list. We submitted our Expression of Interest in February, were selected from the pool at the beginning of February and have just received our Invitation to Apply (April) so that process itself took approx 3 months without a job offer. Once submitted, people tell me it takes about 6 months to actually get your application processed thereafter so I'm sort of working on the timeframe of about one year from start to finish arriving in New Zealand.

From our experience, it would seem that if you are not on the skills shortage list and you don't have a job offer you might get into the pool but find it difficult to get fished out of the pool because they seem to be only taking people with job offers, over 140 points or skills shortage list so if you don't qualify for 140 points or skills shortage then your best bet might be to get over there for a holilday and do some interviews and then if you're offered a job perhaps go the work permit route.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone (again!)

It definitely looks like we will aim for the getting a job offer first route - without one, the points just don't add up...

Ah well - great excuse for a NZ holiday, then!
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:42 am
Just Joined

nigeell will become famous soon enough

Hi

I am new to the site - but can tell you my experience of obtaining work etc. I have been in NZ for 12 months and whilst in the UK obtained a job offer from an accredited company (which meant I got the Work permit for 30 months).

From NZIS receiving my application in the UK to me receivng my passport back with paperwork it took FOUR days !! Yep it caught me out too and I was out of the UK on day six...

The accredited companies is a great way to come into NZ, I used an immigration agency after meeting them whilst over here the year before, but I wouldn't waste money on employment agencies... There is lots of work with accredited companies and provided you can arrange video conference facilities they will arrange interviews.

Another option I have found since being here is to contact UK recruitment companies many have branches here and conduct interviews in the UK for companies.

Good luck in whichever way you decide to go - but this is a great place to be